Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Odd arrangements for popular tunes

LPCustom

Nothing wrong with doing a straight version of a good tune... but it's fun sometimes to mess with them! Especially as a listener!

In the church band I was recently in, I sometimes got in trouble, after playing a certain song the same way for the thousandth time, for throwing in the odd monkey wrench..

But after all, what are monkey wrenches FOR, anyway??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, church choir arrangements are notorious for putting the words of one well known hymn to the tune of another.

Many people have recorded "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun." I have no idea who was first to do this.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Hayseed Dixie started off by doing AC/DC songs bluegrass style.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love AC/DC, so of course I have not only the Hayseed Dixie disc, but also Full Blown Cherry's "Rock-a-Billy Tribute to AC/DC".

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Now, church choir arrangements are notorious for putting the words of one well known hymn to the tune of another.

Many people have recorded "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun." I have no idea who was first to do this.

------------

Actually, churches (and others) did this type of thing for CENTURIES... look at a hymnal.. certain melodies were used for different lyrics, and vice versa. Things were different before modern technology!

In some ways, at least. We're still human beings, and quite subject to sounding different from other people......

Yeah, I've read that Charles Wesley (sometimes I've seen the quote attributed to others, I don't know for sure) was criticized for using the tunes of rowdy bar songs for hymns and said "Why should the Devil have all the good music?"

And of course, the Star Spangled Banner was set to the tune of "To Anacreon In Heaven." (The anthem of The Anacreontic Society, a rowdy bunch if there ever was one.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Archived