Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Collectable or firewood?

Bluesape

There's this funky old used instrument store in Scarborough, which is Toronto's east side. It's got lots of vintage gear going through there. I've seen a Microfrets and a LP Custom fly in and out of there. This week I saw a Marauder and 2 Sonex's in there, and a bunch of really old amps I'd never heard of - Koth, Sykes, and an enormous Gibson Mercury head and cab, along with some vintage tape delays and other fx. Of course, there are Strats, Teles and old Fender and Marshall amps in there, along with some terribly tortured(personalized) guitars and amps. There's even a gutted Hyundai strat.

This gear is crying out for an owner to recognize its vintage calibre. I'm an older guy, and should know these brands, but I'll admit I've been oblivious to most of them, and some of these pieces are older than me!

What are the vintage stores like in your areas?

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bluesape:

What are the vintage stores like in your areas?

The only place I can think of that qualifies as "a vintage store" round here is this dreadful place called "Milanofissa" which sells accordions and big old jazz guitars (ES 175s and the like).

But they're a proper den of thieves.

As far as I can tell, the BIG event is this thing called Secondhand Guitars which is an annual fair. I'm going this Sunday! :D

In most cases, unknown guitar brands are unknown for a reason. A lot of the time they were bought in bulk from low-quality Asian and European manufacturers and branded for sale in North America. Basically, an importer would buy a lot of wholesale guitars from EKO or Samick or whatever and have them put a name on them and sell them wherever he could. If the venture was successful, he'd buy another lot and do it again. If not, he'd switch to TVs or olive oil, or cans of tuna.

I'd be more interested in the amps. Most older tube amps can be made to sound good. I'll bet that Mercury is pretty happening.

Stay away from the Marauder and Sonexes!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I moved to Chicago a couple months back and last weekend I happened across a shop that had a 50/50 split inventory of Vintage Fender and Gibson guitars. My girfriend and our guest wouldn't have been keen on my spending the balance of the afternoon there so I made note of the shops name and went on.... I'm going there tomorrow:) The webpage had an inventory of 180 or so vintage guitars but it hadn't been updated and there were a number of very choice instruments on the floor that were unlisted. I'll talk with the luthier there too.... Surprisingly they had very few amps. There are probably many other places here in Chi town too but I'm thankful that I came accross this place...
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

Originally posted by Gabriel E. vil:

In most cases, unknown guitar brands are unknown for a reason. A lot of the time they were bought in bulk from low-quality Asian and European manufacturers and branded for sale in North America. Basically, an importer would buy a lot of wholesale guitars from EKO or Samick or whatever and have them put a name on them and sell them wherever he could. If the venture was successful, he'd buy another lot and do it again. If not, he'd switch to TVs or olive oil, or cans of tuna.

I'd be more interested in the amps. Most older tube amps can be made to sound good. I'll bet that Mercury is pretty happening.

Stay away from the Marauder and Sonexes!

I was thinking the same thing about the old tube amps, Gabe. And yeah, I know better than to mess with guitars Gibson would like to forget. That Mercury looks cool, but it's bigger than a dishwasher from the front. Does anybody know these amps?

Like Gabriel said stay away from the Sonex amps. Far, far, away...

If you can find an old Haynes Jazz King or Jazz King II, they aren't too bad. They're not too big (about the size of Fender Twin Reverb). I think you can pick one up for about $200 to $300 since they aren't well known. I think the Jazz King II is a 2x10. I can't recall the power rating.

[EDIT] I found a picture of a Haynes Jazz King. I know where one of these in "fair" condition is.

http://www.parkwaymusic.com/amps/images/HaynesJazzking_000.jpg

IIRC Johnson amps aren't too bad, either. I used to know someone who had a Marquis 60 (or was it 50). I think it was 1x12 combo.

[EDIT]Here's a pic of a Johnson Marquis (it is a JM60)

http://www.parkwaymusic.com/amps/images/Johnsonmarquis.jpg

I found the pics at Parkway Music. I wish they had a picture of a Laney PT50. That's a pretty nice little amp. (well, not so little :D )

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Actually, they were Gibson Sonex guitars.

That Haynes looks really retro cool - thanks.

There was a brand of SS amps made back in the late 70's called Sonex. Utter rubbish. I'd stay away from the Gibson Sonex, too. Maybe the name is jinxed... :D

Born on the Bayou

Hey... what's the store?

I headed down that way Monday to catch Bruce Cockburn at the Markham Theatre and might just make a tour of it.

I love ploughin' through funky old stuff.

For what it's worth... I buy one of those Vintage Guitar Buyers Guides every couple of years. With that and a stack of of other guides and catalogs I can typically sniff out a bargain amidst the mystery machines.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by comacoda:

I moved to Chicago a couple months back and last weekend I happened across a shop that had a 50/50 split inventory of Vintage Fender and Gibson guitars. My girfriend and our guest wouldn't have been keen on my spending the balance of the afternoon there so I made note of the shops name and went on.... I'm going there tomorrow:) The webpage had an inventory of 180 or so vintage guitars but it hadn't been updated and there were a number of very choice instruments on the floor that were unlisted. I'll talk with the luthier there too.... Surprisingly they had very few amps. There are probably many other places here in Chi town too but I'm thankful that I came accross this place...

hey what's the name of the place?... just curious

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

Hey... what's the store?

I headed down that way Monday to catch Bruce Cockburn at the Markham Theatre and might just make a tour of it.

I love ploughin' through funky old stuff.

For what it's worth... I buy one of those Vintage Guitar Buyers Guides every couple of years. With that and a stack of of other guides and catalogs I can typically sniff out a bargain amidst the mystery machines.

Encore Music Exchange, at Danforth & Danforth(Danforth & Patterson, actually).

• 8 months later...
Gibson sonex's are made of a resonwood partailly. Have you heard one?? Great sounding guitars. Unless you have first hand facts then your opinions are meaningless.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Originally posted by bytored:

Gibson sonex's are made of a resonwood partailly. Have you heard one?? Great sounding guitars. Unless you have first hand facts then your opinions are meaningless.

Very smooth first post! That'll get you lots of buddies in here. :thu:;)

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

:D Partially made of resinwood? They're wood pulp and resin through and through. If you like that, great. Not me. And yes, I have experience with them. Biggest pieces of sh*t Gibson ever made IMO.

But one of our favorite sons here, Erik CMDN loves his.

We're having him treated at an appropriate substance abuse rehab. ;):D (Sorry, Erik. :freak: )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by A String:

Insulting a Mod in your first post? You're new to this stuff aren't you. :wave:
But WELCOME anyhow :wave:

We're a pretty laid back bunch,

So , you got a Pic of your Sonex?

Lynn G

I'm not sure this brash comment was directed at me. I'm not the one who declared the Sonex bad sounding, but some two by four therapy may still be advised! :D

http://www.fatdawg.com/2xg17.jpg

I just got one of these,it's a 1960 Gibson MM

that once had a broken neck and was fixed 27yr's

ago.The guy that owned it put a p90 in the neck

pos and a paf in the bridge,new locking tuners

and refretted it with jumbos.The guitar looks like crap but plays like a monster.I'll try to get some pics

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hmm, Looks like I got off on the right foot eh!!! :D

Didn't mean to insult anyone.

No, no pic of the Sonex. but I do like em it was my first guitar back in the 80's.

Anybody play Carvins? been thinking of getting one and hear they play nice right out of the box. Either that or a Paul. haven't decided yet.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

The best thing about the Sonex series of guitars were the pickups- hot, yet warm, forerunner of the 'Dirty Fingers" pickup- I had one of those, wish I'd kept the pups-
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

If you happen to be travelling I-70 across Kansas, you could stop at Kansas Guitar Exchange. It's about a half mile south off the Gage Blvd. exit in Topeka. He's a G&L, Rivera and Zinky dealer, along with some other brands I don't remember, but his vintage stuff is really fun to drool over and Rick knows equipment inside and out. The good stuff is hanging behind the counter out of harm's way. I rarely go there that I don't see something I haven't seen before.

He doesn't have a web site, but here's a review from one of his customers I found thru Google:

review

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived