Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Just Gotta Bitch....

I think it's well known, for sometime that the country music scene is getting sucky. Being my life long genre I tend not to moan about it too much especially in a public sense. I figure it's a cycle that will pass... someone please tell me it will. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] After watching an hour and fifteen fucking aggrivating and gut wrenching minutes of this Enduring Freedom Concert I'll just this once scream publically... country music sucks!!! As for the event, it's evident theres some problems with the sound engineering here. Though I thought I'd never say it, TURN ON SOME AUTOTUNE!!! If it's on God help us. :0) Almost ashamed to spent a lifetime pursuing a country musicianship. And as Hank Jr. sings his line "Hank would be proud" my wife laughs and say's I don't think so. ------------------ William F. Turner Songwriter [url=http://www.csonline.net/wfturner/index.html]turnermusic[/url] This message has been edited by WFTurner on 10-21-2001 at 09:34 PM

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep it sucked alright. But it was nice for a change to not have AutoTune or LipSyncing. Country Artists don't do very many shows in Nashville, so I guess the Sound Engineers are outta practice ???? Just a guess ... they sucked too.

Jeez. I didn't see the show in question, but when I turn on country radio these days I hear a lot of fresh and interesting sounds, brand new. Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith, many others. I had been thinking that c&w was in a kind of renaissance. Am I wrong?

I guess i can see how it could sound fresh if you haven't listen to the stuff since the 80's. That's not a shot or anything. The current style of country music peaked in the early-mid 90's and has just been getting more and more watered down and pathetic since. If you are into checking out some credible stuff, listen to some Vince Gill, David Ball(not the song "thinkin problem"), Kathy Mattea, Mark O'connor and the new Nashville cats. Dwight Yoakam has some really good releases with great great musicianship and songwriting. There is more too, Brian White is a newer artist who is quite fabulous... It is the hollywood of the music industry though. All the dreamers go to country music to "MAKE IT". It's quite sad. There were some real landmark musicians and singers that made their mark with this current trend and that is not to say that there are none left, but the system is destroyed. There is no integrity to be had and the formulas and the people who decide which to use are all used up and will soon depart into country music heaven, I hope! I also hope that the Mark O'connors and the Brent Masons do something great with their superb talent, away from the machine. My opinions are echoed by so many you'd think that they'd would get the hint and shut it down! But i have a feeling that, just as "SURVIVOR" allows the insecure to feel like they are really figurin' shit out, as does modern country allow the shallow listener to own a category of music to call their own and to never have to discuss it's merits with anyone intelligent. If pressed they have every reason to just run you over with their pick up truck! Hot Doggy!!!!!!! It give people an excuse to remain ignorant. That is why it's popular. Here is the stupidest country lyric i have ever heard but there are many that are sooo close... "If it wern't for trucks, we wouldn't have tailgates". That was a big hit in modern country. makes ya think doesn't it? What a world.

[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]I think it's well known, for sometime that the country music scene is getting sucky. Being my life long genre I tend not to moan about it too much especially in a public sense. I figure it's a cycle that will pass... someone please tell me it will. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [/b][/quote] It will. Country goes in cycles, just like everything else. Something works and is heartfelt, and next thing you know, every producer on music row jumps all over it and "commercializes" it and polishes all the life out of it. After a few / several disgusting years, someone (or several artists) get fed up, get lucky and get a contract and revive things. The last really MAJOR revival I got behind was when Dwight Yoacum, Steve Earle et al took off in the 1980's. All of the sudden, country was about real songs and real, honest musicianship again. Right now, while there's [i]some[/i] things I can listen to, for the most part, I find the state of country music about as unappealing as a lot of the rest of the industry. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

I was born on country music, even wrote some stuff for a publisher in nashville..but you're right. I don't call it country any more I call it Karaoke!! same pickers every album, just insert "PURDY" face here! Don't worry about the talent,we can take care of that later.. HB

[quote]Originally posted by halljams: [b]Who do you listen to Phil? (Some favs)[/b][/quote] Well, I'm not up to speed on all the latest stuff in country, but here's a sampling of the type of "country" music I like, to just give you an idea... Emmylou Harris, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Steve Earle, Radney Foster, Dwight Yoakum, Vince Gill (can get a bit slick, but boy can that guy sing - and play), BR-549, Southern Pacific (brownie points if you remember THEM), Junior Brown, Rodney Crowell, Mattea, Loveless, Krause... basically a bunch of stuff that's either pretty old or was never accepted very well by the Nashville "mainstream" and the unbelieveably rigid country radio stations / networks... Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Look north, son, Chicago way. That's where the twang is these days. Steve Earle's already been mentioned but how about the Waco Brothers, Nico Case (the third coming of Patsy as far as I'm concerned), and most of the rest of the Bloodshot roster. And take hope, there's some twang left in Nashville too -- Buddy and Julie Miller for example. Country hasn't left the country and gone to France like jazz. You just have to go and get it!

The one distinction I used to make to defend playing country years ago was that at least the performers I admire could stand and deliver, anywhere, anytime; eg., country guests on the old Tonight Show would sit down and talk with Johnny Carson, reach behind them for a 'planted' guitar and sing a tune in key. I'm not so sure the majority of today's 'country' singers could do that successfully. Maybe just the ones that started for quarters in a jar and survived. What sayest thou?
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Archived