Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need p90 equipped guitar with familiar neck feel.

comacoda

I'm GAS'in for a new p90 eqipped guitar. Thinking Strat-o-sonic. Looking to try a Blueshawk, LP double cuttaway, or Godin LGp90. Have tried PRS SE soapbar, price was right but hated the neck. I shoulda bought a Reverend slingshot last year when I had the itch and the dough. Any other guitars under a grand and worth playing?
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by comacoda:

I'm GAS'in for a new p90 eqipped guitar. Thinking Strat-o-sonic. Looking to try a Blueshawk, LP double cuttaway, or Godin LGp90. Have tried PRS SE soapbar, price was right but hated the neck. I shoulda bought a Reverend slingshot last year when I had the itch and the dough. Any other guitars under a grand and worth playing?

Did ya try out any other neck profiles? on the PRS, I have played a Blues Hawk before and liked it.

i got an agile 2500 with two of them. Your probably not familiar with agile, but you cana sk around here if you want, there pretty nice for the money. Looks just like the LP in ellwoods pic, cept two p90s. I dont know how much your tryin to spend but for $150 and whatever for ship, its yours

Having recently got a double-cut Vintage LP Jnr with a single P90, I'm a convert, but like you , I want somer familiarity, so I'm seriously considering getting a pair of humbucker-size P90s and putting them in my Ibanez Studio - it's a bright-bodied guitar, so the combination should work well.

Would you consider that kind of thing?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Having recently got a double-cut Vintage LP Jnr with a single P90, I'm a convert, but like you , I want somer familiarity, so I'm seriously considering getting a pair of humbucker-size P90s and putting them in my Ibanez Studio - it's a bright-bodied guitar, so the combination should work well.

Geoff

Worked for me with the 336 and the Fat Cat Duncan P-90s.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Geoff

Worked for me with the 336 and the Fat Cat Duncan P-90s.

Bill

Bill,

Is one of the pair reverse wound/phase so they are noise-cancelling in combination?

And can I be rude, and ask how much the pair sells for in the US?

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I tried a Strat-o-sonic, and found it to hum annoyingly. The salesperson's response was "P90's are all like that". Needless to say, I left it there. It sounded so bad I thought it was a shielding problem. The staff's indifference to this concern in a brand new instrument didn't sit well with me.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I tried a Strat-o-sonic, and found it to hum annoyingly. The salesperson's response was "P90's are all like that". Needless to say, I left it there. It sounded so bad I thought it was a shielding problem. The staff's indifference to this concern in a brand new instrument didn't sit well with me.

Single coil pickups hum. If the strat it your avatar is a standard strat, it has single coil pickups. In the same situation, it should hum, too.

anyone wonder why I have so little respect for salesmen?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Is one of the pair reverse wound/phase so they are noise-cancelling in combination?

And can I be rude, and ask how much the pair sells for in the US?

Geoff

Yes, to the noise-cancelling question.

I don't know what the cost was... that was a year ago, a lot has happened to me in a year. Plus, my local luthier did the job, so the cost was for the complete pickup replacement job, plus a setup, since he sets up all of my new purchases.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Museeip:

I would check out the Music Man's with P90's. I was just watching the Eagles DVD ,and the guy replacing Don Felder, Steuart Smith had one that sounded GREAT!.

I've always liked those guitars, wasn't aware of a p90 music man. Thanks! My old man saw Mr. Smith play not long ago and was also favorably impressed. I'm looking for a pro quality axe that is going keep its value and compliment my skills, I've invested 10 years now and I can play so I'm going to get a serious guitar. As to all of you Agile supporters!!! I really do get the cheap thrills guitars, right now my personal fave is an Eastwood delta 6 335'ish resonator and it smokes! I'm looking for the grail, which to me has p90's, quality wood, and quality components with a name I can trust.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Single coil pickups hum. If the strat it your avatar is a standard strat, it has single coil pickups. In the same situation, it should hum, too.

anyone wonder why I have so little respect for salesmen?

Bill

Bluesape's ESP is loaded with EMG's.

going from that i could see a big shock with p90's. actually my LG doesn't make much noise unless there is a monitor near. the pickups are deep in the body and sheilding paint is in the pickup cavities.

[QB]

[qb]

[qb] Having recently got a double-cut Vintage LP Jnr with a single P90, I'm a convert, but like you , I want somer familiarity, so I'm seriously considering getting a pair of humbucker-size P90s and putting them in my Ibanez Studio - it's a bright-bodied guitar, so the combination should work well.

Geoff [/qb

I've got a mahogany bodied Ibanez Jetking 2 with a special order neck that I could drop fat cats in, but it's probably one step forward two steps back..... I had an Ibanez Talman tc620 with kent armstrong p90's that I sold a couple months ago.... That guitar would have been killer with some upgrades, I had the trem blocked and a great setup, played great.... It fell short in the bridge PU and pots, tuners were junk too... I need a real guitar!

A friend of mine has a '68 Gibson dual P90 SG with a Vibrola. It sounds absolutely terrific. I've never been a big fan of the P90 sound but is one of the best sounding P90 equipped axes I've ever heard. Hooked up a Bogner Shiva and a 4x12 cab, that guitar just screams. I love playing it.

If I was going to have a guitar with P90s in it, it would be the Gibson SG, I think.

Born on the Bayou

P-90s, being very high output single coils, are about the noisiest pickups on the market. Most guitars with 'em nowadays do have a noise-cancelling combination of reverse-wound, reverse polarity pickups, including the Agiles I mentioned above.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Yeah, I know if I give mine half a chance (like playing in a place with bad wiring, dimmers, neons, etc.- yer average gig environment), they'll hum and buzz reeeeeaaaaal baaaaad.

In fact, I came by one of my favorite effects, touch-sensitive picking-hand controlled volume-swells (now practically a "signature" sound of mine), because of the necessity of a noise-gate anytime I played my "soapbar" axe through medium to high gain overdrive or distortion.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Played a rather beat up used lgp90 at the guitar center this last weekend. Was a doable meat and potatoes guitar, I'm sure a better cared for example would have made more of an impression. Definitely has potential, the quest continues...

Played a rather beat up used lgp90 at the guitar center this last weekend. Was a doable meat and potatoes guitar, I'm sure a better cared for example would have made more of an impression. Definitely has potential, the quest continues...

Archived