Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, I need a VERY Cheap guitar that is closest to a Fender 57 reissue strat!

webe123

The other day, I was talking to my pastor about guitars. he is about 25 years old and loves hearing them. Lately, he has been trying to take up guitar and practice with an accoustic guitar that he has at home that is very cheap, but he has a problem.

His hands are VERY big and stubby and he seems to be having a hard time trying to get his fingers around the fretboard of his cheap accoustic in order to make guitar chords properly.

So, I got an idea....after church this sunday, I went over to my new Fender 57 reissue stratocaster, asked him to sit down and then I picked it up and handed it to him. I asked him to play a chord (a G major chord) on the 57 reissue strat....he did and.... BINGO!

THAT seems to have been his problem making chords this whole time. The neck was too THICK! (He said he could also switch chords much faster on my 57 strat- something he had tremendous difficulty doing with his accustic, because the neck was so thick!)

He had already had his guitar strings on his accoustic lowered by a competent tech in our area, but he said he was still having problems making a chord. (At first, I thought the strings on his accoustic may have been too high and he was having a hard time pressing down on them- but it was not the height of the strings as much as it was the THICKNESS of the guitar neck itself.)

So now I have a question......WHAT kind of electric guitar (Brand and exact model) can he get that would be very close to the specs of my American made Fender 57 reissue strat THAT HE COULD ACTUALLY AFFORD??(I am thinking mabye around $100 to $150 ???

I think he would be happy with a more "strat" type body, because they are very comfortable and he seemed to be able to fit my 57 reissue strat up against his body pretty well...because the 57 body is very thin and he is very broad in the shoulders.

If anyone has some suggestions, please post. Also if you have any LINKS to the product itself or where it can be bought, please post that info also. The guitar does not have to be brand new,a used one could do. But if you have any cheap guitars that are like the 57 reissue that is what you need to base it on.

I say this, because he really was able to play that guitar well, so if you can find a good playing, cheap strat....please post links or whatever you have. I KNOW that my Fender 57 reissue strat is american made and very expensive, but mabye you can find SOMETHING that he could get that would at least let him practice his chords without having it to be such a struggle.Thanks.

Here are the Fender american vintage 57 reissue strat specs from fender...I figured I would post them in case someone needed to compare them with another guitar brand.

Model Name American Vintage 57 Stratocaster®

Model Number 010-0102-(Color#)

Series American Vintage Series

Colors (801)** White Blonde, Ash Body **add $150.00,

(803)* 2-Color Sunburst *add $50.00,

(806) Black,

(808) Ocean Turquoise,

(857) Surf Green,

(883) Ice Blue Metallic,

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Body Comfort Contoured Alder Body (**Ash On (801) White Blonde)

Neck 1-Piece Maple, V Shape,

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Fingerboard Maple, 7.25 Radius (184 mm)

No. of Frets 21 Vintage Style Frets

Pickups 3 New American Vintage Strat® Single-Coil Pickups

Controls Master Volume,

Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),

Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)

Pickup Switching 3-Position Blade:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Middle Pickup

Position 3. Neck Pickup

(5-Way Switch Included in Kit)

Bridge American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo with Ash Tray Bridge Cover

Machine Heads Fender/Gotoh® Vintage Style Tuning Machines

Hardware Chrome

Pickguard 1-Ply White, (8 Hole)

Scale Length 25.5 (648 mm)

Width at Nut 1.650 (42 mm)

Unique Features V Shape Maple Neck,

Vintage Styling

Strings Fender Super 250R, Nickel Plated Steel,

Gauges: (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046),

p/n 073-0250-006

Accessories Vintage Tweed Case, Strap, Cable, 5-Position Switch Update Kit, Meguiars Mist and Wipe Kit

Case Vintage Tweed Case

Introduced 1/1998

Notice Product Prices, Features And Specifications Are Subject To Change Without Notice

I would GUESS I need a guitar with a 7.25 inch RADIUS on the neck.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Christian thing to do would be to trade him your '57RI for his acoustic. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/angels/biggrinangelA.gif

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

There's that Squire (y'know, "by Fender") 51, or whatever it's called, sort of a combination of Tele/Strat/earliest P-bass features. I understand that they can be pretty nice for super cheap (brand new), but often desperately need a real set-up. So, you might consider scouring real-life guitar shops that are authorized Fender dealers, and if you find an affordable guitar that's not bad but for its set-up, buy it on condition that the shop will do a thorough and quality set-up job on it. (Better stores will do this automatically, even if nothing's wrong but the buyer wants it set-up differently one way or another...)

Used Carvin Bolt models must be out there, and the going rate probably wouldn't be too awful high...

Hmmn, at MusicYo (I think that's how they spell it) there are some extremely inexpensive Kramer Strat-style knock-offs; they're always sending me these electronic "coupons" for outrageously low promotional sale-prices on them... sometimes under $90.00... but I've never played any of them, either.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Why not just take him to a music store? He can try out all the guitars there and find one or more that fits him. If you don't find something at that store, try another.

Having said that, Fender Squier Strat copies have a pretty slender neck. But that might not be good for his fingers because the neck is relatively narrow (narrower than my Les Pauls).

Born on the Bayou

Dude, you're in luck. Now is the time of year big box music stores have boatloads (literally) of cheap stuff out for Christmas. That's how I found my Fender Squire Bullet that plays incredibly well. Guitar Center had about 15 to 20 guitars sitting out. All blue Bullet Strats. I played about 12 to find mine. It truely plays really well.

Problem for YOU is that a 7.25 radius neck will only be on re-issue models, which are more money. The standard Strat neck is 9.5 inch radius.

I found the some thing your pastor did... the 7.25 radius neck is great for cowboy chords. Very fitted to the curvature of the hand.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Archived