Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Double neck Guitar Ideas:

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried one for one set. No other problems other then sheer weight. I should really stress the problem with the weight. It was fine except for the weight. Boy, it was heavy, a real weight problem. I can't believe how much it weighed. You've gotta be really tough to keep one of those guys up because of the weight.

Did I mention the weight problem?

Lee,

Back in the 70's I dropped my LP one night and broke *ALL* the strings. Luckily(!) the keyboards player had his SG twin neck with him. (12 & 6) which I ended up playing *all* night - it was an 8 - 1am dance - 5 hours.

It's heavy. It's also TOP heavy, so not only did I have to shoulder the weight, I had to support the neck(s) from dropping as I played.

Well, we got through the night, and individually, the necks were great to play - the 12 neck possibly being the finest 12 I ever played, but Man Oh Man, next day my left shoulder was *FROZEN*. I couldn't move it and boy, was I in pain.

Yeah - it's a great idea!!! :D

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

OK, I understand that - what I was really asking was, why would anybody need 5 (count 'em) necks and also, you'd need arms like a gorilla to play the bottom two necks!!! Is it even possible?

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by Museeip:

You might look into a guitar stand that will hold one guitar in playing position, and you could have one strapped on. That wouldn't be too much of a pain if you only would use it every so often.

Ya that's true, I have seen those! but the clutzy way my guys run all over the stage they would most likely knock it down! :rolleyes:

or use that same guitar stand to hold the double-neck in position and just stand behind it to play it.

Danelectro a few years ago made a number of double-necks that were fairly light. I also notice that Ernie Ball/Music Man has licensed a double-neck version of its Axis to OLP, and I suspect those may be made out of basswood, which would reduce the weight considerably (FWIW, it also looks like the custom-made doubleneck EB made for EVH around the time of the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour.)

One really cool thing to do with a double-neck - turn on the upper neck, but play the lower neck - the strings will vibrate on the upper neck, and you'll get notes which have a synthlike quality with a slow attack. A few years ago at a clinic, Gordie Johnson (ex Big Sugar, currently in blues-metal trio Grady) demonstrated this with a song he wrote around the technique called "Wild Ox Moan", with otherworldly results.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Originally posted by basshappi:

Schecter makes one. Click me!

Here's OLP's version. Clickity click

There's always a few on "The Bay"

Clonk

Or you can build one from Warmoth parts.

Cheers

hay thanks basshappi!!! those are very nice.. I see the one is bass wood..might be much lighter than the mahogany one, I will check them out :thu:

Rick Nielson has some pretty weird looking guitars. There's even a "Batman" version.

I've seen him play the 5 neck one. I don't believe he played the bottom one but he played the other four (don't recall the song). The bottom neck doesn't have any frets on it.

Here's a peek at some of Rick Neilson\'s guitar collection .

I especially like the double neck that looks like him. :D

Born on the Bayou

This is always the double neck I think of first. It's just so damn good looking you'd likely forget it weighs a ton.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/IbanezArtTwin.jpg

I couldn't honestly justify owning one... so I'll avoid that discussion after I buy the thing :D

kiddin'

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

That's that Ibanez more-or-less-copy of a guitar more-or-less-made-by Rex Bogue for John McLaughlin. Probably does weigh a ton!

Hey, Lee/ellwood, how 'bout building a double-neck from a body and necks from Warmoth?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

FWIW, it also looks like the custom-made doubleneck EB made for EVH around the time of the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour.)

Got that on dvd he's playing a purple one for

the song spank,the upper neck is a baritone.

:cool::thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

This is always the double neck I think of first. It's just so damn good looking you'd likely forget it weighs a ton.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/IbanezArtTwin.jpg

I couldn't honestly justify owning one... so I'll avoid that discussion after I buy the thing :D

kiddin'

I just *LOVE* that - despite what I said further up. I have a 'thing' about old Ibanez gits.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Geoff

I would like to have a double-neck guitar, I admit it! But the instrument I'm drooling over at the moment is a double-neck mandolin, with the 5-string neck (C G D A E low to high, combining the viola and violin tunings) for guitar derived playing and the standard 8 string for the mando stuff. If anyone's interested, I can send a photo of the instrument.

Of course, having a new instrument doesn't give you new hands or ears or a new brain....

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Why?

G.

Well I was thinking that it might be cool to use on some tunes that takes regular A tuning and then maybe open tune the other neck for open slide playing. I play slide tuned regular but it is not quite the same as a fully open tuned neck.
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy one of those stands like Yes and so many other bands use to hold the second guitar? You walk up to it and play, walk away when you are done, and you can load it with any guitar that you own, even changing them between sets or songs.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Yes you are right Bill but as I meantioned earlier here I am just a bit nervious about the stability of the stand on stage. My guys do bang into things as do I! :D we get a bit loose on stage and I just would worry about an instrument on a stand like that. I have to get a close look at one of those stands I have no idea how stable they are? I use lead shot bags draped around the mike stands to make them heavier now mabye I could do the same thing with a guitar stand like that?

Originally posted by ellwood:

I use led shot bags draped around the mike stands to make them heavier now mabye I could do the same thing with a guitar stand like that?

Sounds like a plan.

Hey, take of the shades!!!! ;)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived