Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

~ Why Aren�t You a Better Guitarist? ~

Tom Hess

Originally posted by Tom Hess:

Of course I don't know your wives, but I think in many cases women, (wives, girlfriends, etc) aren't really objecting to their man playing guitar, it is often time a feeling they have of feeling second to it (or other things). They usually don't communicate that in a clear way, so instead they are likely to complain about the practicing. I realize yuor own wives may not be this way and may have other reasons for saying what they do. In my own life it's a bit different since my wife understands that it is my music that bought our house, sends our kids to private school, etc, But I have always made a point (almost daily) to reinforce the reality that she (and our kids) are number 1. As long as she believes that (which is true), there is never a problem with whatever I do musically. My guess is that i spend lot more time with my guitar than most of you do (since doing music in some capacity for most of the day - everyday.). Anyway, the point here is that making her feel that she is first in your life (and reinforcing that understanding daily) will go a LOOOOOOOOOONG way with most women. Maybe you guys already do that. Maybe your wives have other reasons for saying what they do, I don't know them so this may not apply to you. But it probably does apply to at least some of the "married" guitar players reading this.

Thanks for the free wife advice Tom. :thu:

Seriously, the difference between you and me is that for you, the guitar is your bread and butter. For me, it's just a hobby. I make my money doing other things.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With my own students, I work with some of them in so many areas of their life (if they want that). We go WAY beyond the typical lesson stuff like: here are some cool chords, licks, arpeggios, whatever. Sometimes the most valuable I can offer them are the things that really will make a huge difference that they would normally expect to come from a guitar teacher, yet impacts their guitar playing in a massive (yet often indirect) way. Sort of like my last post. I mean if I have a student, WHO CARES how much cool stuff I can teach him/her if other things in life are preventing him/her from actually lerning, remembering, practicing or implementing what I teach them. I am as a much of a coach , mentor and trainer as I am their "teacher". I think most teahers I have seen simply "teach raw materials" which is a good start, BUT they usually stop there. And their interest in their students sometimes stops there too.

~ Tom Hess ~

http://www.tomhess.net

Hessy - Like others, after a brief glance through your article, then checking out your website, I immediately thought 'spamma-ramma'. My comments were intended to be more in the spirit of 'takin' the mickey' than outright disdain.

After mucking about with guitars for 30 years or so, it's easy to sometimes forget that things about guitar that are bleedin' obvious to me aren't so obvious to those still trying to work out the nuts and bolts of playing guitar. And we all need to be reminded of them from time to time, probably even you. Am I right or am I right? ;)

Anyway, it's a nice, well thought out article and I'm sure is a good reflection of your abilities as a player and a teacher. :thu:

THank you Caputo,

There will be more video files added to the site soon, we are changing servers now. Thank you for your support.

To Philemec. Yes you are totally right. ANd When

I began writing and teaching in this style years ago, yes I needed it also for myself! My articles were sort of written for myself in a way! Now because I think, teach and write in this way everyday, it is natural for me now to think in these ways, but in the beginning it wasn't. Repetition is the mother of skill

~ Tom Hess ~

http://www.tomhess.net

• 2 months later...

Hello Tom,

I really enjoyed reading your article. And to the others in this thread I would like to say thank you for giving me more insight on what this forum is all about.

I would like to mention that when a new person joins, this expected behaviour is NOT officially defined in the general forum-rules.

Perhaps if this would be clearly explained at the very beginning, the experienced members wouldn't end up having to educate new people over and over.

I signed up yesterday and couldn't even figure out what buttons to click on in order to post correctly. I ran into the same mess as Tom and I'm sorry it happened. Luckily the administrator could help me out after I had annoyed a long standing member.

If there is more to know in this regard I would kindly ask anyone to give me that info.

Thanks, Jes

Originally posted by KPB:

The reason I'm not a better guitarist is because I wasted my time reading this spam instead of playing my guitar.

Damn, you beat me to it!!! :D

I think Tom oughta post two-full-page ads in Guitar Player..."How to have perfect pitch..."...er...oar something.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tom Hess:

Just curious how many of you have actually implemented any of the ideas in my original post and have seen the positive benefits.

Well, I was pretty impressed by the bit that said there's no real reason why you should push yourself to learn styles in which you're not interested.

You're right, nobody expected John Lee Hooker to be good at thrash metal, so what's wrong with sticking to a style?

Archived