Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A/B'ing a Twin and a PodXT???

Museeip

So here is my dilema. I have a reissue Twin Reverb, that of course I love the clean sound(and the trem and reverb), however about 30% of what I play is distorted. I've used a distortion/overdrive pedal for years, but I happen to think that when I run my PodXT into the front of the Twin, set on a say aJTM-45 or DC-30 model, it sounds WAY better than any distortion pedal I've heard. Of course I know nothing beats tube, but I'm a poor college student and a new amp is not in the cards for me now...So...here's my question. Since the Twin has 2 inputs can I run my guitar into an A/B box, send A to the reverb channel on the Twin, and send B to the Pod and then into the other input? Essentially A) would be my Twin as the clean channel where I could also use the trem and reverb, and B) would be my distorted channel using the Pod into the Twin. Will this work? :confused:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Museeip:

So here is my dilema. I have a reissue Twin Reverb, that of course I love the clean sound(and the trem and reverb), however about 30% of what I play is distorted.

I am proud owner of a 1970 Twin. No master Volume

I run my PodXT into the front of the Twin, set on a say aJTM-45 or DC-30 model, it sounds WAY better than any distortion pedal I've heard.

Sounds tempting

Since the Twin has 2 inputs

Not just 2 inputs, but 2 seperate Channels

can I run my guitar into an A/B box, send A to the reverb channel on the Twin, and send B to the Pod and then into the other input?

Yup, because they are 2 seperate channels

Essentially A) would be my Twin as the clean channel where I could also use the trem and reverb, and B) would be my distorted channel using the Pod into the Twin. Will this work? :confused:

Man, I wish i woulda thoughta that

OK, here is how I tweak my Twin:

Back off the amp w/ 3/4 Birch w/ 2 small ports closing off the cabinet

Yellow Jackets in the tube sockets

Here's what I do w/ the channells

Hook the stereo outs of a TC electronic chorus into each channel of the Twin

Here's what you can do just for kicks:

Hook input 1 or 2 of Channel A into input 1 or 2 of Channel B

Plug the Axe into Channel B

Set Channel B w/ Treble and Mids at 0, and Bass on 11

Set Channel A w/Bass / Mids 0'd w/ Treble at 11

Mix the Volumes to Taste

Then Mix minimal mids and trebles to taste

Have Fun

no need for an AB-box:

gtr --> Twin input 1 reverb channel

twin input 2 reverb channel --> POD

POD --> Twin input 1 non-reverb channel

just switch from a bypass to OD-sound on the POD - you will still have the clean twin sound underneath, but that will save some of the initial attack you usually lose when using OD

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Archived