Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Rock & Roll Tune Closed Out 20th Century ?

Tone Taster

In my opinion the Rolling Stones put a cap on the Rock & Roll from the last millenium in the opening verse and chorus ALONE of 1995's "You Got Me Rockin'" from the Voodoo Lounge Album

The opening lyrics:

• I was a butcher cutting up meat
    My hands were bloody I'm dying on my feet

The Chorus:

• Hey, hey you got me rockin' now
    Hey, hey you got me rockin' now
    Hey, hey you got me rockin' now

That with the narly guitar parts, Darryl Jones & Charlie Watts MOST SOLID groovin'/persistent 8th note rock pocket and Micks throaty heroics, this tune could very well be THE QUINTISSENTIAL Rock and Roll tune in all of history

IT doesn't get any more rockin' than this folks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as that was 1995, something in 1999 had to have closed out the century. But the next era could have been opened with Marillion's "This Is the 21st Century"

"This is the 21st century

Flash to crash and burn

Nobody's going to give you anything

for nothing in return"

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Danzilla:

Well, as that was 1995, something in 1999 had to have closed out the century.

I have to disagree, because there may not have been any tune quite as rockin' before, during , or after the release of "You Got Me Rockin'"

Come On, how can you get any more rockin' than some opening lines bein "I was a butcher cutting up meat"?

That rocks

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Vince C.:

[QB]

Originally posted by Caputo:

[qb]... this tune could very well be THE QUINTISSENTIAL Rock and Roll tune in all of history

Ya, but it IS!!! :eek:

Ellwood, I respectfully request that your band add this to the set list

Thanks for the concurring opinion.

Originally posted by ellwood:

[QB]

[qb]... this tune could very well be THE QUINTISSENTIAL Rock and Roll tune in all of history

Ya, but it IS!!! :eek:

Ellwood, I respectfully request that your band add this to the set list

Thanks for the concurring opinion.

WILL DO!! :D:thu:

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Of course, the 20th century didn't end until the end of 2000. :D

True, but if there were a King of the Mountain contest, and someone stepped on in 1995 and dominated all previous competition and continued to dominate into 2000 and beyond, they would still be King of the Mountain, right?

Am I sincerely deluded?

Originally posted by Guitar55:

The song that closed out the 20th Century was "Johnny B. Goode" everything after was derivative.

:-)

See, now that's what I'm talking about.

BOLD arbitrary opinions !!!

Now G55, on what grounds does JBG form the basis for all the subsequent derivatives?

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Of course, the 20th century didn't end until the end of 2000. :D

True, but if there were a King of the Mountain contest, and someone stepped on in 1995 and dominated all previous competition and continued to dominate into 2000 and beyond, they would still be King of the Mountain, right?

Am I sincerely deluded?

Yes, you are sincerely deluded... :D Just kidding.

It's not really worth arguing over. If you want to continue to make that assertion, that's fine. But I don't agree with you at all. I don't even like that song.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I don't even like that song.
out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
Seriously? Well, I just find the song boring.

Sorry, Stones songs just usually leave me cold. I think I really just don't like Mick Jagger's voice. I don't have even one Stones song in my iTunes collection of over 1100 songs. I've never like any of them enough to pay money for them. C'est la vie.

Born on the Bayou

I really just don't like Mick Jagger's voice. .

Well, that's what's so Rock about Jagger, is that he really doesn't have a voice. He shouts and hollers with aggression with some semblance of pitch recognition.

He almost borders on the avant garde in that respect.

Sorry, Stones songs just usually leave me cold.

Like a lot of people out there, I think that the Stones basically stopped being any good after Mick Taylor left. I own a lot of Stones records from before that moment and absolutely love bootlegs from the early 1970s.

Post Mick Taylor? Some Girls was Ok, but they may have been using previously written material. And anyway, that was 30 years ago (!)

There was a bit of a "spike" in the downward spiral when "Tattoo You" (1982, 23 years ago) came out and after that it was back to the nosedive.

The utter pits, the nadir of everything was "Undercover". After which I decided not to waste any more money on them. It's not as if they need my $$ anyway :)

Sorry, Stones songs just usually leave me cold.

Like a lot of people out there, I think that the Stones basically stopped being any good after Mick Taylor left. I own a lot of Stones records from before that moment and absolutely love bootlegs from the early 1970s.

Post Mick Taylor? Some Girls was Ok, but they may have been using previously written material. And anyway, that was 30 years ago (!)

There was a bit of a "spike" in the downward spiral when "Tattoo You" (1982, 23 years ago) came out and after that it was back to the nosedive.

The utter pits, the nadir of everything was "Undercover". After which I decided not to waste any more money on them. It's not as if they need my $$ anyway :)

You should check out the new CD, "A Bigger Bang", real good sounds, very "open" production (the guitars are very clear in the mix), best effort since "Some Girls"

The song that closed out the 20th Century was "Johnny B. Goode" everything after was derivative.

:-)

See, now that's what I'm talking about.

BOLD arbitrary opinions !!!

Now G55, on what grounds does JBG form the basis for all the subsequent derivatives?

Well actually, I was just trying to stir things up, but I guess I'm just not as controversial as others on here. :-)

But really, if the I-IV-V progression is the heart of Rock 'n Roll, it never got better than "JBG" even though it was imitated tens of thousands of times.

You should check out the new CD, "A Bigger Bang", real good sounds, very "open" production...

Yeah, I might do that. I've read some good stuff about it.

I really wish they'd make great records and "show everybody", if you get my drift. I'm cheering for the Stones but it's often been so hard to find anything to cheer about.

But really, if the I-IV-V progression is the heart of Rock 'n Roll, it never got better than "JBG" even though it was imitated tens of thousands of times.

Okay, see; the allure of the aforementioned Stones song is that is comprised of only 1 chord and is all groove oriented.

So, this harmonic simplicity is another ingredient in that it is less chords than even a i IV V.

That rocks

Archived