Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Band of all time

ibanezbob209

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was 17 when the Beatles happened here in the UK, and I was *very* much aware of it all.

Let me tell you that there has been nothing even *near* them since, in their music, in their image and in the way that they permeated everyday life here in the UK - what with being given medals by the government and being photographed with the Prime Minister etc - everyone was wearing Beatle Jackets, Cuban-Heeled boots and had long hair.

Sorry guys, but if you weren't there, there's no way you could understand or appreciate it.

The Beatles.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Personally, I can' stand Led Zeppelin, but they've got to be at the top of the list. Others I'd include:

Stones, Pink Floyd, Rush, Brian Setzer, Beatles, Van Halen, Nirvana and Pearl Jam (though I hate to say it), Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

I agree with the post that termed "best" with most influencial. But, there are many things to also consider such as songwriting (subjective), talent (not so subjective) and longevity.

What typically happens with questions like these is we get the big four of the 60's:

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Rolling Stones

The Who

The problem is that there are so many other other groups that it is really hard to categorize. So I will break it down by musician/band and longevity Top 10 in the rock genre:

1. Paul McCartney - The most single influencial musician of the last 40 years both with the Beatles and his band - and he is still on tour

2. The Rolling Stones - still on tour 40 years later - nuff said

3. Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys - revoltionized American rock - He is perfoming again also - songwriting is ummatched

4. Rush - redefined what it was to be a rock band and started the progessive rock movement - still releasing albums 30+ years later

5. Led Zeppelin - musicianship and songwriting continues to influence a whole new generation of rock musicians - although they lose some for longevity - they could have replaced John Bonham...

6. Bob Dylan - like McCartney he is still performing and his influence hass been huge

7. Johnny Cash - on par with Dylan and Mcartney for influence

8. Van Halen - like Rush they brought something new and Fresh to the rock world

9. The Ramones - did to punk what Ruash and Van Halen did to rock

10. Jimi Hendrix Experience - guitarists are still leanring his music today...

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

Your One-Stop Custom Cable Shop

Archived