Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Band of all time

ibanezbob209

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Billster:

Originally posted by FJ:

who says i'm not having fun?

You haven't represented for the Hot Club yet. ;)
okay. i'll play along and attempt to not to be such a surly prick (i've been at work for about 15 days straight ~ sorry)

Django Reinhardt & The Quintette of the Hot Club of France :thu:

I'll translate best to mean influencial. After all... there were no rules posted with this thread :D

That said... the most influential rock and roll band of the past 50 years would most probably be Led Zeppelin. Given the number of rock bands (of all variety and description throughout the known world) their style has been copied far more frequently than that of any other band.

They are not my favorite band.... that likely remains Little Feat. :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Growing up, I was sure into Led Zeppelin. They had everything, 4 musicians who each individually were innovative and at the top of their field, but collectively were sublime. They could improvise and jam, and could also write great compositons. I never saw them live, but have seen the videos. They seemed like they were great entertainers. I've heard they were stoned quite a bit and some shows suffered, but I can't say much about that.

There was a certain mystic about them. It wasn't until years later that I really new anything about them and how they got their sounds and inspirations. I don't know now if I would have liked them as people, they seemed to be pretty degenerate, but thats almost what you expect from a rock band.

If I had been born 5-10 years earlier, I am sure the Beatles would have been a bigger influence on me. I kind of caught up with them in retrospect. I was too young to really appreciate them when they were together. I can't say that 50 years from now that Zep will be considered more influential than the Beatles, but I bet that they both will be remembered as more than just a footnote.

The correct answer for a rock band is The Who, circa Isle of Wight and Live at Leeds.

The correct answer for a small jazz group is Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" line-up, though you have to consider "Birth of The Cool" as well, and the Miles/Wayne Shorter groups of the early 60's.

The correct answer for a big band is Duke Ellington at any time.

There is not correct or definative answer.

But here are the top candidates:

The Eagles

Pink Floyd

Beatles

Foo Fighters

Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Led Zepplin

I left out Solo Artists. I was surprised to see the Doors listed here, I can understand why the Who would be mentioned (lots of people like them) but the Doors did not contribute enough to be considered as the best band of all time. I left out the Rolling Stones because they were great in the past and might've been included if they would just stop writing songs and having reunion/revival tours. No dis respect to Keef, he is a huge influence and a hero to me, but he has earned some time off.

Originally posted by Darklava:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

This is a tough one.

I'd have to say either Blue Cheer or Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two. They both rank right up there for me. :thu:

You gonna go see the new Johnny Cash movie?

It looks like it should be a good movie.

I'll probably wait for the DVD. Not enough stuff blowing up on screen to justify shelling out the bucks for movie tickets.

BTW - Johnny's daughter Kathy is not too pleased with the way her mom (Vivian, Johnny's first wife) is portrayed. According to Kathy times were good with their family until Johnny started getting pilled up. She thinks the movie makes her mom look like a bit of a shrew.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

There is not correct or definative answer.

But here are the top candidates:

The Eagles

Pink Floyd

Beatles

Foo Fighters

Crosby Stills Nash and Young

Led Zepplin

I left out Solo Artists. I was surprised to see the Doors listed here, I can understand why the Who would be mentioned (lots of people like them) but the Doors did not contribute enough to be considered as the best band of all time. I left out the Rolling Stones because they were great in the past and might've been included if they would just stop writing songs and having reunion/revival tours. No dis respect to Keef, he is a huge influence and a hero to me, but he has earned some time off.

Why would the Stones do that? I don't understand they sell out 80,000 plus venues evey night of their tours?? HUH? don't get it at all?? :rolleyes:

I just think Keef Needs sometime off that's all, I love the Stones, just not thier new stuff. Your right though Ellwood, they have a huge following, and they would do well not to take advice from me.

Happy Birthday again Mr. Ihategarybettman. You think I was kidding about the FOO?

I like the Foo. True they have not been around very long, maybe ten years now, but I am honor bound to include them.

These were just suggestions anyway.

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

I just think Keef Needs sometime off that's all, I love the Stones, just not thier new stuff.

You think I was kidding about the FOO?

I like the Foo. True they have not been around very long, maybe ten years now, but I am honor bound to include them.

These were just suggestions anyway.

OH!! :eek: I did think you where kidding! I like lots of things by them too, it's just that I didn't think they would come up in this kind of thread? :D

It bugs me when somebody says a band should pack it in like the Stones or Van Halen but love guys

like BB or Sumlin guys that can't even stand up on stage [not that there is anything wrong with that]

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Ya they sure do! I dunno if you have the full works of the Stones but... one time I sat and listened to ALL of their hits from all the years and COULD NOT believe how many they had. I mean things that I just didn't think of. It is a very cool thing to go back and listen to them if you havent in along time. Every now and then I will do that with groups like Mountain, Bad Company, Free, Crazy Horse, Slade etc, and it gets your head back into what R&R is all about. AND it gets yourself back on to the TONE again. :D:thu: for something to chew on do this: listen to Salt of the Earth by the stones, acoustic thing and listen to the simplicity and the story of it.... listen closely (SHIVER) get out your old acoustic, turn up the volume and play along with it.

Robin Hood and his Merry Men! (You know! They robbed from the rich to give to the poor. Anybody??)

The Red, White & Blue, All-Protestant, Blues Band (Let's see how many of you can identify that one. ;) )

Rubber. (I was going to say, "Head", but I really don't like those. :( )

(And if you still care, another vote for The Beatles.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I think I'm going to have to go with Pink Floyd. They definitely had a style all their own. I love everything they did from "Dark Side of The Moon" to "The Final Cut" (can't recall if Roger Waters was on that one or not). Often imitated, never duplicated.

Born on the Bayou

My choices...

Resurrection Band (a.k.a REZ)

Dixie Dregs

Return To Forever

...and...

ISAAC, a Christian jazz-rock band from the 70's and early 80's who were based in my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA, who had an awesome guitar player by the name of Bob Page, and who could jam with the best of 'em! They released one album, "City of Dreams", in 1982 on a local record label by the name of Heavensong Records.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I think I'm going to have to go with Pink Floyd. They definitely had a style all their own. I love everything they did from "Dark Side of The Moon" to "The Final Cut" (can't recall if Roger Waters was on that one or not). Often imitated, never duplicated.

About a week ago I saw Australian Pink Floyd in concert on a PBS channel. They sure cover Pink Floyd very well. I was quite impressed, I don't think anybody could cover PF any better than that.

Archived