Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp experts i need your opinions

dead mike

Hmmn, see if the store will let you try out either amp with your band at a practice (after buying it, of course), bring it back if there're any reasons that it isn't up to the task of use with your band, and then try the other one to see if you like it better with the band. Then keep which one works best in real life like that.

Often a given amp or effects-gizmo will sound oh so righteous bitchin' super cool when you're in a store or otherwise playing by yourself, only to sound as if it's half disappeared when you fire it up with the band.

I'm not saying that I expect this to be the case with the Tech 21 (or the Fender), but there are a LOAD of variables in this scenario, so it's best to know for sure and be able to decide than to be disappointed.

By the way- and I do NOT mean to condescend here, it's just better safe than sorry- is that a Fender Deluxe Reverb (a tube amp, and a classic one), and not a Deluxe 85 or some such other solid-state Fender (much less likely satisfy you with your band in the long run)? Their model-names can be confusing...

If you already know the difference and would recognize one from the other immediately, please take no offense at my asking here; just wanting to make sure...

Let us know how things go, keep us posted!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Picker:

I had a Tech 21 amp for a while. I liked it for everything but gigging. Switching channels produced an instant volume boost and drop, and I was used to the slight ramping effect of my tube Boogie. THe instant change was sort of jarring t me. Other than that, it was a great amp; good tones and lots of them, easy to dial in, light, portable, and actually a pretty good looking amp.

THe one with the 3 seperate channels was the one I used

The volume was easy to balance due to the 3 seperate volumes/EQ/ Drive/ amp type

If a Pro is too loud, I would think that most of the amps mentioned, aside from the Reverbrocket, would be as well. I'm surprised that a Princeton Reverb hasn't come up yet. I'd vote for a PR and the Tonebone classic, thats my home setup and I love it. Though I've been really curious about the OCD. I've heard so many good things, yet I haven't actually heard one.
www.myspace.com/christondre

The deluxe reverb i looked at was the tube reissue, about 2 yrs old. They had the tech 21 in there reduced brand new. I always heard good things on these amps and figured id ask. It is 60W though. the princeton reverb, never seen one. Do they make a reissue or am i going to have to shell out some big money. Having owned a vintage tube amp i loved the sound but hated the constant small repairs it needed. thats why when i seen this solid state amp i just had to ask. The deluxe reissue being 2 yrs old i dont see many porbs coming with it. Also had a boogie blue angel in there used in good shape. Dont know anything about the amp though. Tech guy said the clean on the mesa is no where near a fender. Keep em comin and thanks

The Princetons were smaller amps, smaller speaker, and less power than the Deluxes and Deluxe Reverbs of the same eras. I personally think that you'd find a "siverface" Princeton to be just a little underpwered and underspeakered for playing with your band, unless you mainly wanted an overdriven sound from cranking it hard most of the time. "YMMV", though. Great amps; the "blackface" and "tweed" Princetons of various incarnations are getting kinda pricey, though, as demand for low-powered vintage tube-amps that can be cranked for bluesy overdrive climbs daily.

The "silverface" Princeton and Princeton Reverb amps are usually pretty much exactly the same as their "blackface" predecessors, though; CBS-Fender didn't mess with their design as much as the larger amps. (Same goes for sf/bf Deluxe Reverbs and Champs.) No real reason to spend bigger bucks on the bf's other than for their vintage collector's item appeal.

Mesa-Boogie amps are great amps, but most of their models will not do a "clean Fender" sound, they have their own sound, that may or may not be what you like... Try it!

QUOTE BY CAEVAN: "Often a given amp or effects-gizmo will sound oh so righteous bitchin' super cool when you're in a store or otherwise playing by yourself, only to sound as if it's half disappeared when you fire it up with the band."

MAN, you sure did say a mouthfull on that one Caevan!! Words of wisdom to be paid attention too! For three years now with me I WILL NOT buy anything from a store if they will not let me play it with the band at least once!! If they won't I will pay more for it if I have too to find someone that will let me bring it back. AND if they try to charge me a restocking charge to bring it back I WILL NEVER spend on more cent with their store EVER! and will encourage others not to buy there either!! Just ask FlagShip Mile about that too, he's the same way!! and just found that out again with that Traynor he got and took back!

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

The Princetons were smaller amps, smaller speaker, and less power than the Deluxes and Deluxe Reverbs of the same eras. I personally think that you'd find a "siverface" Princeton to be just a little underpwered and underspeakered for playing with your band, unless you mainly wanted an overdriven sound from cranking it hard most of the time. "YMMV", though. Great amps; the "blackface" and "tweed" Princetons of various incarnations are getting kinda pricey, though, as demand for low-powered vintage tube-amps that can be cranked for bluesy overdrive climbs daily.

The "silverface" Princeton and Princeton Reverb amps are usually pretty much exactly the same as their "blackface" predecessors, though; CBS-Fender didn't mess with their design as much as the larger amps. (Same goes for sf/bf Deluxe Reverbs and Champs.) No real reason to spend bigger bucks on the bf's other than for their vintage collector's item appeal.

Mesa-Boogie amps are great amps, but most of their models will not do a "clean Fender" sound, they have their own sound, that may or may not be what you like... Try it!

I thought he was looking for an amp to use at home. I agree that a princeton wouldn't really work in a band setting. With that said, I really love my '65 Deluxe. :love:
www.myspace.com/christondre

Originally posted by GtrWiz:

"I thought he was looking for an amp to use at home. I agree that a princeton wouldn't really work in a band setting. With that said, I really love my '65 Deluxe." :love:

Y'know what? You may have been right in the first place: after rereading dead mike's three posts, I guess I had just assumed that this was for use with a band.

I know a young guy who has his Father's early '60s Princeton Amp (non-reverb) at his disposal for home and recording use, and he loves it. He judges larger "band" amps by the Princeton's sound. Quite a cool yardstick, huh?

How 'bout it, 'Mike? Have I had ya all wrong? GtrWiz might have ya better pegged with his suggestion of a Princeton Reverb, although then you're getting into old, vintage territory...

Originally posted by ellwood:

"...I WILL NOT buy anything from a store if they will not let me play it with the band at least once!! If they won't I will pay more for it if I have too to find someone that will let me bring it back. AND if they try to charge me a restocking charge to bring it back I WILL NEVER spend on more cent with their store EVER!"

Yeah, you are so right! Real-world results- whether your real-world is an apartment bedroom, a PC-desk, or club stages- that's where it's at here, huh? Bells 'n' whistles and fine but subtle differences often don't translate well from one setting to another.

It's worth paying any relatively small amount 'extra' if you get good service and support; those who'll go the extra mile are deserving of the dough that'll make it worth their while to be 'full service'.

Really? I've found that Deluxe Reverbs and pedals can go very well together. Hmn. Maybe it depends on what pedals...

It all comes down to this: take and plug some pedals (preferably yours) into that Deluxe reverb in that store, and find out just how well they work together.

Thanks for the input guys. I am taking home a deluxe Reverb overnight next Monday to see how i like it. I will let you know how it sounds. Checked harmony central and i noticed alot of owners changed out the speakers. Dont know what to think of this but i guess i will find out after the weekend. Cant wait to post more questions. Next topic will be fuzz pedals.

Originally posted by dead mike:

I wanted to put my guitar as my avator. How do i do this?

You need to upload your picture to a hosting service (just search the forum for hosting service) then go into your profile and change your avatar to the URL of that picture. I think you'll have to create an account (which is free) on the hosting service then you can upload pictures you want hosted.

I use my own webserver to host my pictures. So I haven't used the picture hosting services and, consequently, don't know the details of using them.

Born on the Bayou

Archived