Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp experts i need your opinions

dead mike

O.k. i just got rid of my 69 fender pro reverb (too loud for the neighbours) and im looking for another amp in the 15-20 watt range. I play surf, so clean with a good reverb is important but i also am looking for some quality distortion. I would like 2 footswitchable (reverb switchable would be nice)channels. I have been looking and researching for a while and here are some amps i considered. The traynors, the Peavey classic 30, fender blues jr, tech 21 trademark, and the reverends. The Reverend without a doubt is the best sounding of the ones mentioned but is single channel and not footswitchable, and there not made anymore. The max im going to spend is $650. Any suggestions. Im looking for some feedback from anyone that has owned alot of amps, tried alot of amps, and knows the surf (man or astroman) sound im going for. Thanks for your input in advance.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not totally hip to THE surf sound, but the Peavey Classic has got a great clean sound and reverb footswitch. Beats the Fender, IMHO. Traynor has a good sound too.

My guitar/amp repair shop says that Peavey, Fender and Carvin are the most repaired amps he sees due to the use of PC boards. He advised to get as much point to point wiring as possible. I'd assume that makes for a stronger sound, no? Anyone?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

I would absolutely stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 combo. There is a serious reverb problem that haunts these units. Try this: pump the reverb up to 12, strike a chord, hold, and then mute. You should hear a hum sneak up comming from the spring reverb unit. The loud hum will remain UNTIL you cut the reverb back down to 1. I've had a love / hate relationship with my Peavey this past year. Love the tone, but hate the hums and hisses.

I think that the Vox AC 30 CC would make for a great candidate, but at $999 at GC, this unit would be out of your range. You would get that combo tremolo / reverb sound out of your amp alone!

I played the Traynor 20w and found that they have an awesome reverb system (then again, I am comparing this to the Peavey). Completely affordable, and well built systems for the masses. Hadn't I bought my Hughes & Kettner, I was about to purchase the Tranyor 40w; clean channel leans towards Fender and dirty towards Marshall (especially on crunch).

I don't know too much about the Fender Blues, but Fender amp with strat is your basic surf setup.

Hope this helps!

The Fender Blues junior does a great "surf" sound but it only has a single channel. Other than that, you're set. I like mine a lot. But it's too loud to crank up without disturbing the neighbors.

Odd about that reverb on the Peavey. My Classic 50 doesn't seem to be so afflicted. The Classic 30 is discontinued but there are a few up on eBay.

I'd definitely check out the Traynor 40W, too. I played around with one recently and I like it. The dirty is nice and crunchy almost like a Marshall JCM800.

I didn't find that the clean was quite like a Fender. If anything it seemed a little thin in the mids which you really need for the "surf" sound.

Born on the Bayou

I'd look for a used "reissue" Fender Deluxe Reverb, and a really good overdrive pedal, maybe even one of those Tonebone or similar tube overdrive/distortion pedals (there're bound to be some cool tube pedals turning up used before long). Or maybe even an old "silverface" or early '80s "second-series-blackface" Deluxe Reverb, etc.

If the 40-watt Pro Reverb was "too loud", a Deluxe Reverb should suit you better, while still being just loud enough to hang with your band when it's cranked. Mic it or get a H&K Red Box or similar affordable DI box for it if necessary.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I've heard lots of people have trouble with the reverb unit on the Blues Jr. That's just what I hear though, never even played through one myself.

Maybe try a Pro Jr. and a Holy Grail reverb pedal. The Digitech Distortion Factory looks like it would be worth trying out.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Haga:

I've heard lots of people have trouble with the reverb unit on the Blues Jr. That's just what I hear though, never even played through one myself.

Maybe try a Pro Jr. and a Holy Grail reverb pedal. The Digitech Distortion Factory looks like it would be worth trying out.

The reverb on my Blues Junior works great. I don't often use it. But it works fine when I do. Just, like most reverbs, don't go crazy with it. :D

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

"I'd look for an old Ampeg ReverbeRocket."

Heeeeey, good call!

As is Caputo's, on the Fulltone O.C.D. pedal; I'd like to get my hands on one of them myself...

That and a Goblin, Deluxe reverb, or ReverbeRocket would make an excellent rig...

My rockabilly buddy has a small collection of Ampeg Reverbrockets and Geminis, but he got tired of taking the classic amps out to the bars. So he bought a 5150, and loves it. He is very serious when it comes to his tone. He also stopped taking out the Byrdland and Gretsches and takes two G&Ls instead.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by janalon:

I would absolutely stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 combo. There is a serious reverb problem that haunts these units. Try this: pump the reverb up to 12, strike a chord, hold, and then mute. You should hear a hum sneak up comming from the spring reverb unit. The loud hum will remain UNTIL you cut the reverb back down to 1. I've had a love / hate relationship with my Peavey this past year. Love the tone, but hate the hums and hisses.

I think that the Vox AC 30 CC would make for a great candidate, but at $999 at GC, this unit would be out of your range. You would get that combo tremolo / reverb sound out of your amp alone!

I played the Traynor 20w and found that they have an awesome reverb system (then again, I am comparing this to the Peavey). Completely affordable, and well built systems for the masses. Hadn't I bought my Hughes & Kettner, I was about to purchase the Tranyor 40w; clean channel leans towards Fender and dirty towards Marshall (especially on crunch).

I don't know too much about the Fender Blues, but Fender amp with strat is your basic surf setup.

Hope this helps!

Of course...you could always buy a great reverb pedal (EDS Dynaverb for one..I have that one and use it instead of ALL my built-in sounds).

I'm beginning to sound like a shill for them, I promise, I have no relationship with the company outside of being very happy with their Dynaverb.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Hope this helps!

Of course...you could always buy a great reverb pedal (EDS Dynaverb for one..I have that one and use it instead of ALL my built-in sounds).

I'm beginning to sound like a shill for them, I promise, I have no relationship with the company outside of being very happy with their Dynaverb.

but not in practice."

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

I'd look for a used "reissue" Fender Deluxe Reverb, and a really good overdrive pedal, maybe even one of those Tonebone or similar tube overdrive/distortion pedals (there're bound to be some cool tube pedals turning up used before long). Or maybe even an old "silverface" or early '80s "second-series-blackface" Deluxe Reverb, etc.

If the 40-watt Pro Reverb was "too loud", a Deluxe Reverb should suit you better, while still being just loud enough to hang with your band when it's cranked. Mic it or get a H&K Red Box or similar affordable DI box for it if necessary.

:thu:

I would absolutely stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 combo. There is a serious reverb problem that haunts these units. Try this: pump the reverb up to 12, strike a chord, hold, and then mute.

I must admit, my sound doesn't include heavy reverb, or a surf-type sound, so I haven't had excessive reverb on yet. I HAVE heard the loud hum though. Kinda scary. :eek:

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

The only drawback to that particular Ampeg ReverbeRocket there is the type of output tubes in it (as well as one of the "preamp" tubes) that are an uncommon type (two 7591's and a 6U10)) that would best be replaced by having the amp converted, or (possibly) using some Groove Tubes "Substitubes" (if there is an applicable model)...

EDIT: Hey, guess what, 7591's are being made again and are available in matched duets and quartets; but they're kinda pricey, for sure! IF you were gonna go with these, I'd ONLY buy the Groove Tubes offerings, and then in matched Quartets (even for use of pairs, then you'll have a replacement duet that's as close as possible to the last pair). GT tests for and matches on more parameters than anybody else, so their matched offerings will last longer, and sound better longer, too. THAT'S a fact.

I'm guessing that the 6U10's can only be found as "N.O.S." (New/Unused Old Stock) and used; the good news there is that the few I turned up in a quick 'n' dirty search were cheap.

While I believe that I'd love this particular amp, it probably just isn't very practical for a main gigging combo... :cry:

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

The only drawback to that particular Ampeg ReverbeRocket there is the type of output tubes in it (as well as one of the "preamp" tubes) that are an uncommon type (two 7591's and a 6U10)) that would best be replaced by having the amp converted, or (possibly) using some Groove Tubes "Substitubes" (if there is an applicable model)...

EDIT: Hey, guess what, 7591's are being made again and are available in matched duets and quartets; but they're kinda pricey, for sure! IF you were gonna go with these, I'd ONLY buy the Groove Tubes offerings, and then in matched Quartets (even for use of pairs, then you'll have a replacement duet that's as close as possible to the last pair). GT tests for and matches on more parameters than anybody else, so their matched offerings will last longer, and sound better longer, too. THAT'S a fact.

I'm guessing that the 6U10's can only be found as "N.O.S." (New/Unused Old Stock) and used; the good news there is that the few I turned up in a quick 'n' dirty search were cheap.

While I believe that I'd love this particular amp, it probably just isn't very practical for a main gigging combo... :cry:

There's also the THD Yellow Jackets that let you use EL84s in a 7591 socket. So even if the supply of 7591s dries up, you can still use EL84s which seem to be plentiful.

Born on the Bayou

Aaaah, I wasn't aware of 7591-compatible THD YJ's off the top of me head; thanks!

It might not be quite enough to hang with drums and all and still have much clean horsepower with the YJ's, as they put it into Class-A/Cathode-Bias mode, and I'm gonna guess in this case, at a lower output wattage yet than the nominal 18-watts or so of the ReverbeRocket... Maybe, maybe not, probably a case where "YMMV", right?

That is a very cool amp, to make an understatement; to get something brand-new that was truly equivalent would probably cost a lot more, I'd bet.

To tell you the truth, if I had the ca$h, I'd probably 'B.I.N.' it myself!

Originally posted by dead mike:

Thanks for the opinions. Went to the amp store today and they have a used deluxe reverb im seriously considering. On a side note i check out a solid state tech 21, anyone ehre ever try one? And what did you think?

Okay..now you're just toying with us....

:) amp slut :)

but not in practice."

Originally posted by dead mike:

Thanks for the opinions. Went to the amp store today and they have a used deluxe reverb im seriously considering. On a side note i check out a solid state tech 21, anyone ehre ever try one? And what did you think?

I would get the deluxe, but the tech 21 is great for a solid state amp. It comes very close to emulating tube amps

I had a Tech 21 amp for a while. I liked it for everything but gigging. Switching channels produced an instant volume boost and drop, and I was used to the slight ramping effect of my tube Boogie. THe instant change was sort of jarring t me. Other than that, it was a great amp; good tones and lots of them, easy to dial in, light, portable, and actually a pretty good looking amp.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived