Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wich Line6 Variax model provides the best value for money (electric guitar)?

Johnny1982

Hello!

I was thinking about buying an electric guitar to play some tunes in the gigs, and after playing a line6 Variax from a friend of mine, I really liked it. Really, I want a Line6 Variax, not other one (the electric guitar).

I asked him wich model it was (300,500, 600 or 700), but he didn't know as well, lol. I think it was a 300 or a 500, those don't have the vibrato lever, but I'll check that later.

Although I've read some negative comments from real guitar players about the simulated sound, personally I really liked it. It's fine for my needs.

Now, the big questions for you, wise friends: :D

- There's the Variax 300, the 500, the 600 and the 700. Are there any sound differences between them? Ot are the electronics the same?

- Wich of these models is the best value for money? (note: I care about staying in tune and a good sound, I don't need fancy paint jobs or look).

- Is the vibrato lever usable in all the models wich have it? What I mean is if these guitars stay in tune after using it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have studied, the 300 is the base model and is the cheapest. I don't think it has a vibrato bar. All the models have the same electronics so the sounds should be pretty much the same. The higher priced models seem to have better quality woods but that may be just a cosmetic thing.

I am contemplating buying one of these also. The low end model is only around $500 at GC. One of the things holding me back is the power issue. The battery is only good for about 10 hours of playing. Never mind the expense, thats a big pain in the butt to change batteries once a week or more. There is an optional power supply that you run with a stereo chord to the guitar, that seems to be a better option.

Another thing that is holding me back is there are probably big volume changes between the patches of the different instrument models. Even with the Line 6 amp modelers, it takes alot of work to balance the patches.

I stil have yet to actually plug one in and play it. Guitar Center usually has one in stock but finding one free on a Saturday afternoon has been difficult. But, if you are on a budget, I can't see the more expensive models sounding or playing much better than the base 300 model.

Yeah, I think that the cheapest model offers the best deal. I played it when it first came out, and I thought that it would make a great guitar for gigging. But I rarely use the vibrato arm on my guitars, so I would not miss it.

I'm not so enamored with the guitar itself, though of the ones that I have played I like the cheap one best. (Sort of like an old Les Paul Junior... feels cheap compared to the real thing, but still okay.) I thought that I might buy one from ebay and put it in a Warmoth body/neck to class it up, but I just really can't justify the expense.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Yeah, I think that the cheapest model offers the best deal. I played it when it first came out, and I thought that it would make a great guitar for gigging. But I rarely use the vibrato arm on my guitars, so I would not miss it.

I'm not so enamored with the guitar itself, though of the ones that I have played I like the cheap one best. (Sort of like an old Les Paul Junior... feels cheap compared to the real thing, but still okay.) I thought that I might buy one from ebay and put it in a Warmoth body/neck to class it up, but I just really can't justify the expense.

Bill

I agree - putting the electronics in a nicer guitar would suit me better. I suspect that we'll eventually be able to purchase just the elctronics from Line 6 or a competitor, if these units stay popular.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Gruupi:

I am contemplating buying one of these also. The low end model is only around $500 at GC. One of the things holding me back is the power issue. The battery is only good for about 10 hours of playing. Never mind the expense, thats a big pain in the butt to change batteries once a week or more. There is an optional power supply that you run with a stereo chord to the guitar, that seems to be a better option.

I worried about the battery issue too. The power supply is not optional,it comes with all models so you have a choice of batteries or plug in power.

I bought my 500 series a few months ago, and I love using it on my gigs. I mostly play in church/worship settings and it's perfect for going from Joni Mitchell to Jimi Hendrix, all in one song!!!

Gwen

"Sometimes it's easier to buy gear than to practice..."

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Good info gfred611. How do the volumes between the guitar models compare. Do you have to do alot of adusting live to compensate between patches?

no more so than in changing pickup selection switches on my other guitars. The volume knob will always be your best friend on an electric guitar.

That being said, I've never noticed any significant volume differences when changing instrument selections on my 500.

Gwen

"Sometimes it's easier to buy gear than to practice..."

Archived