Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Queen+Paul Rodgers DVD "Return Of The Champions

dreibel

went out and bought the new DVD of the Queen+Paul Rodgers concert as part of last spring's European tour, and all I can say is....wow.

It takes a while for it to get good, but after a while, once the band gets warmed up, they play quite tight, and quite well. Paul Rodgers brings his own set of shoes to the table - no way does he try to fill Freddie's shoes - and does the Queen material justice. Likewise, Brian and Roger gives the Bad Company and Free material the respect it deserves - Brian even went out and learned Paul Kossoff's solo in "All Right Now".

Sound and picture is excellent. Brian's tones really leap out. What's even cooler is Jamie Moses, the second guitarist on the tour - his guitar helps fill out the sound, and he gets to play some harmony guitar parts with Brian (he's playing a Strat through a Hughes+Kettner stack setup, and pulls out a Les Paul for "Can't Get Enough", I suspect in open C tuning.

Worth the purchase or a rent. And I'm definitely looking at scoring a ticket to see them on the extended North American leg next year.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds so logical, I'm wondering how it ever happened!They must have gotten tired of sounding like their own cover band with a Freddy lookalike.

Best news I've heard all day. Ok second best........ David-Gilmore-protege Kate Bush's first album in 12 years is due out today! :thu:

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to it, and the possibility of seeing them live, too.

Originally posted by Philemec:

This sounds so logical, I'm wondering how it ever happened!They must have gotten tired of sounding like their own cover band with a Freddy lookalike.

D'ya think? Yeah, I agree!

Best news I've heard all day. Ok second best........ David-Gilmore-protege Kate Bush's first album in 12 years is due out today! :thu:

That IS great news; I love Kate! I was thinking only yesterday about the KB CD's and vinyl I used to have, before a load of my better CD's were stolen a few years back...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I was figuring you might hazard a quick first-impression based on the music with the videos you've seen (if you have).

Hmn, a quick trip to the wikipedia, and now I know just a little bit more about Australian history... :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

They've played a few tracks on the radio and had her on for an interview.

All I can say is they sound quite Kate Bush-ish, and are pretty much picking up on an unbroken thread, IMHO.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I went to the Meadowlands show....frickin awesome!! I haven't picked up the DVD yet, but I will for sure.

I'll tell you this...at the show, Brian May had perhaps the biggest and best guitar sound I've ever heard live...I kid you not...it was fucking enormous. He had nine Vox amps (all AC30s I think) though I thinkk he was only using three...at least that's how many were miced.

Tom

http://www.digitalaudiorock.com

The Protools Plugin Preset Co-op

Originally posted by Philemec:

basically, last year Brian played with Paul at an awards ceremony. Although the two have played and recorded together before, something seemed to click between them, and they both noticed it. So they decided to get Roger in as a drummer for a jam, and things went so well that they decided to take it on the road! They brought in Spike Edney (longtime Queen tour keyboardist who's played keys in both Brian and Roger's solo bands), Jamie (who's played in Brian's solo band) and Danny Miranda (former BOC member, and pit bassist for the Las Vegas WWRY production) on bass to substitute for John Deacon, who is officially retired (but gave Brian and Roger his blessing).

Of course, there was a firestorm of controversy about all this - quite a few saw this as a cynical cash grab, and thought of Freddie spinning in his grave. And indeed, the first gig they did was a bit of a trainwreck. But when they actually started the tour, there soon came reports from people who had gone to the concert that, while not the same without Freddie, it turned out to be a fun and entertaining experience. For not only were Brian and Roger and Paul kicking ass, they were obviously having a lot of fun doing it! You can well see it on the DVD, they have these huge smiles on their faces.

I forgot to mention some other highlights!

- a new Roger song, "Say It Isn't So".

- a cover of Sandy Nelson's "Let There Be Drums", a spotlight for Roger to shine ("Don't worry, I'm not planning on boring you - I hate long drum solos too!" :D )

- Brian ends his guitar solo by going into "Last Horizon", the instrumental from his Back To The Light solo album. For those of you who have never heard this track, you're in for a real treat.

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Archived