Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tokyo Music Instrument Fair. (or, Skipclone in Wonderland)

skipclone 1

Oh MAN, what a blast!

I am just back from the every two year, Music Instrument Fair as well as our first band rehearsal for our every few years, Christmas gig/show. For those who are interested, it`s almost four a.m., I`m supposed to be awake in like two hours. Basically I`m doomed so what the heck, I`ll just file a little report.

I`ve never been to a NAMM show but it`s hard to imagine that it`s any better than this. The thing about the TMIF is that it`s very hands-on, you can spend the whole day playing instruments.

I spent the first 90 minutes of my time (about 4 hours total) just playing Spainish nylon string guitars. I got to play one of those 10-string guitars but the rep didn`t know how to tune it. I was about to walk away when up steps the guy who built it-wish my Spainish was better.

By far the surprise among the guitars I played was a very thin body (it`s called the Verythin) 335-style semihollow from Hofner-yup, as in Sir Paul`s bass. I fell hard for this one. Like, where do I send my Christmas list? it`s ready.

Is anyone familiar with Dusenberg guitars? really fine sound and playability and, in fact, the first time I have played a Bigsby-equipped guitar. Liked it.

I discovered that archtops look gorgeous, sound amazing but are not that easy to play, really different feel for me.

I checked out one brand I had been interested in for a while but some guy in a dark suit and glasses seemed to be setting up a Chapman stick demo right next to me. I was looking at him but he seemed to be delayed so I went ahead. Well after I finished I realized he had patiently waited for me to finish playing (gotta love Japan) and then proceeded to KILL with monster shred licks and bass accompaniment.

Well here`s the story of the day-Roger Mayer was there again, a little friendlier than four years ago but not by much. I told him I had tried his Vision Wah pedal recently, liked it. As I said he wasn`t much more engaging but-how do I put this-Mrs. Roger Mayer was there too and had apparently found her way into a few drinks (this at 4:30 p.m.) boy was SHE ever friendly. They were both excited about Roger`s newest creation, a wireless effects loop controller.

There was more, Cole Clark Guitars from Australia, the guy who is promoting them plays awesome lap steel style with an acoustic, can belt out the blues and is a nice guy to boot. All in all a day to remember.

BTW, websites are available for anyone who wants a look at some of this stuff.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a hell of a good time to me!

Glad you typed up a report for us, sorry your gonna be bone-tired all day, but you'l sleep good later, right?

Any idea who or what to search for if I want to look up any possible 'sites or other online-mention of this Spanish 10-string guitar and its builder?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the report - very interesting.

I'm glad you like the Hofner Verithin. My pal had one back in the 60s and they are fetching big money over here on eBay UK.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I have a flyer about the controller but it`s in Japanese, I`ll have to corral someone for a bit of translation assistance. They may post some pics on the website later, www.musicfair.jp -sorry but I had to haul around so much music gear I didn`t think to bring a camera. Meanwhile I`ll look over some of the material I got (it`ll help me stay awake) and be back this evening local time with the scoop, troops.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived