Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weed Not Good For Music

Tone Taster

People don't talk about Vicodin either.

None of the drugs you mentioned are more destructive than alcohol.

It is legal, many more people drink and abuse it because it is socially acceptable.

I am not saying that heroin, meth, cocaine aren't more extreme than drinking. I am saying far less people abuse it than alcohol.

The withdrawls from someone addicted to alcohol are worse than withdrawl from heroin. That is a fact. It can kill you.

So what does this say? A woman and her 3 kids were killed by some guy 2 times the legal limit like 8 months ago where I live. The victims are more what I am talking about.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by flagshipmile:

It is legal, many more people drink and abuse it because it is socially acceptable.

I am not saying that heroin, meth, cocaine aren't more extreme than drinking. I am saying far less people abuse it than alcohol.

The withdrawls from someone addicted to alcohol are worse than withdrawl from heroin. That is a fact. It can kill you.

So what does this say? A woman and her 3 kids were killed by some guy 2 times the legal limit like 8 months ago where I live. The victims are more what I am talking about.

Vicodin is Hydrocodone APAP.

What you are saying WAS true. Maybe where you live it still is. Where I live, alcohol is still a problem, but it's no longer THE big problem. Meth is. There are now more arrests for possession and/or manufacture of Methamphetamine around here than arrests for DWI. The most recent arrest I heard of around here for vehicle related injury was a woman that drove her car through the front of a dentist's office...she was stoned on prescription painkillers. In the local newspaper last week there was one arrest listed for DWI and 7 for Meth. There were at least 2 meth labs busted just in this county last week. Last week was not unusual. It is an absolute epidemic and most people just aren't aware of the scope of the problem. 5 years ago I figured the epidemic would be Hillbilly Heroin (oxycodone). I was wrong...Meth abuse has WAY outstripped oxycodone abuse. Alcohol is still a problem, but it is no longer nearly the problem meth is.

Alcohol abuse still causes many, many ruined lives and automobile accidents...it is still an issue. Withdrawal from alcohol is difficult...deaths, however are extremely rare. Usually a death during alcohol withdrawal is actually attributable to drinking while taking one of the drugs used to control withdrawal symptoms, such as Antabuse. You can also die from withdrawal from heroin....it doesn't happen much, but it's possible. Usually meth kills the user before he has a chance to withdraw.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Well, as for the decriminalization/legalization issue, the only illegal drug i would even consider legalizing or decriminalizing would be marijuana. think about it: have you ever seen a violent stoner? or for that matter have you ever seen someone stoned that caused any problem bigger than annoying you because they had the munchies and were too lazy to get their own food? :D

peace

Originally posted by PickPunk:

Well, as for the decriminalization/legalization issue, the only illegal drug i would even consider legalizing or decriminalizing would be marijuana. think about it: have you ever seen a violent stoner? or for that matter have you ever seen someone stoned that caused any problem bigger than annoying you because they had the munchies and were too lazy to get their own food? :D

peace

Yes. When I was in the military in the early '70s, a guy that I was in school with for a year or so killed his younger brother over a half pound of pot. He beat him to death with an aluminum baseball bat. His excuse? "I was stoned. I thought he took my pot." (The State of Alabama vs Danny Petty in the Felony Murder of Lester Thomas Petty)

In about 1969 or 1970 my younger brother (now deceased due to other drugs) was out riding around in a car with his buddy and smoking pot. They were in a car crash because the driver was impaired and his reaction times were slow. My brother hit the windshield with the side of his face. It took over 400 stitches to reassemble his face. He was never really the same mentally after that accident. About a year later, that same guy killed his sister in exactly the same fashion. (His name is Steve Roberts. I can't remember if he was prosecuted by the State as a felony or the County.)

Most of the time, I think pot is not as harmful as other illegal drugs. However, it's not harmless by any means. It has proven serious long-term medical side effects and it does definitely impair judgement. I would have to guess that it has a huge impact on the economy, too. No matter what people think, they are less productive when they are on marijuana.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Caputo:

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

Wtih playing i can agree, i become a little sluggish at the guitar "not terrible though" and really just get tired. Listening to music on the other hand cant be beat like that.

Yeah, but going to concerts/gigs where there is intense , above-average musicianship, you may be enjoying it at the moment, but most likely won't retain what you heard in ordr to fully benefit.

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

listening to music on lsd is pretty sweet too. Ive never had the chance to play on it though.

I remember i saw DiMeola back in '87 on LSD. All I can remember is that there were some pretty cool finger patterns he was doing at a fast speed. That's it

I also used to do LSD at gigs, too. It's definitely not what it's all cracked up to be. You think it's this incredible supernatural experience while the buzz is on; but if you record it and listen to it later, you see very quickly that it's stuff you would've played anyway w/o the drugs

Also, it's all fun and games till some one who is your "friend" rats you out or leaves you out to dry and then you get chauferred to the Greybar Hotel.

Been there done that . . .

sorry i shoulda mentioned that i dont really play gigs, this is just jammin with my friends and the listening to music is at my house. I hate being in public after smokin cause ill agree i do some sstupid stuff, but throwin on some headphones at home after a night of hangin out and smokin i tend to enjoy.

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Vicodin is Hydrocodone APAP.

What you are saying WAS true. Maybe where you live it still is. Where I live, alcohol is still a problem, but it's no longer THE big problem. Meth is. There are now more arrests for possession and/or manufacture of Methamphetamine around here than arrests for DWI. The most recent arrest I heard of around here for vehicle related injury was a woman that drove her car through the front of a dentist's office...she was stoned on prescription painkillers. In the local newspaper last week there was one arrest listed for DWI and 7 for Meth. There were at least 2 meth labs busted just in this county last week. Last week was not unusual. It is an absolute epidemic and most people just aren't aware of the scope of the problem. 5 years ago I figured the epidemic would be Hillbilly Heroin (oxycodone). I was wrong...Meth abuse has WAY outstripped oxycodone abuse. Alcohol is still a problem, but it is no longer nearly the problem meth is.

Alcohol abuse still causes many, many ruined lives and automobile accidents...it is still an issue. Withdrawal from alcohol is difficult...deaths, however are extremely rare. Usually a death during alcohol withdrawal is actually attributable to drinking while taking one of the drugs used to control withdrawal symptoms, such as Antabuse. You can also die from withdrawal from heroin....it doesn't happen much, but it's possible. Usually meth kills the user before he has a chance to withdraw.

Some info i picked up from my substance abuse class im takin at college:

On the list of preventable deaths, those not from natural causes or diseases-

Tobacco account for about 37% per year - thats 400,00 people

alcohol is 16%

Illegal drugs - less than one percent, whiich is under ten thousand

If you took one 1000 herion addicts and put them in a room for a weeks, theyd all feel like shit from the withdrawl but none would die.

If you took 10 alcoholics and put them in a room for a week, when you came back two would be dead.

Tobacco alcohol and meth are the most destructive to your body. Opiates, assuming you dont OD, tend to be the healthiest, assuming all the drugs im referencing to are pure.

In HS and in my first year of college I used to smoke a lot of hash (couldn't get weed in Nova Scotia back then). It was enjoyable but I never played guitar while high, mostly because it layed me out.

Sometime in my 2nd semester of college, there was a hash shortage and I had to go dry. I felt more focused, had more energy - I was basically smarter. I didn't do any drugs for almost a decade after that.

I will admit to smoking pot recreationally maybe twice a year while visiting friends and family. The extent of this is passing around a joint while conversing.

In any case, my point is this:

Drugs increase one's attention span and make the mundane really interesting. That means that shitty TV programs become entertaining and dumb jokes become hysterical. It also means that you can play repetetive, mundane music and think that its innovative and interesting.

I've seen some really interesting and creative people produce a lot of boring, derivative art after becoming heavily involved in drugs. Without exception, they all thought it was genius.

Of course drugs affect everyone differently. When I saw R.L. Burnside years ago, he was totally smashed and kept demanding that the bartender come fill the tumbler of whisky he had sitting on the stage next to him or he would stop playing (the bartender always obliged). His playing and performance were both brilliant nonetheless.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Our bass player used to smoke weed before he'd show up for a gig. You could always tell when he was toked up because he'd have that stupid grin on his [face] and his eyes were nearly closed.

He always said his playing was more inventive and imaginative when he was stoned. He wasn't. In fact his playing wasn't as good. He was loose and he made more mistakes. But at least he wasn't an asshole when he was stoned. But that was the only good thing about it. He was also highly suggestable when he was stoned (he'd go along with anything, especially if you gave him food).

But that wasn't as bad as when he'd show up drunk. When he was drunk he couldn't play for shit (usually he would sway around like grass in the wind, too) and once he even threw up on himself during a song then passed out. A couple of times we turned off his amp because his playing was so bad. At least our keyboard guy could fill the void.

I had to go to his trailer to get him on more than one occasion when he didn't show up for the sound check.

He was getting into cocaine when the band broke up. He thought the coke was making him a better player. It just ma[d]e him more of a wanker. He died back in 1992 from speed balling (whatever that is).

Born on the Bayou

After reading all your posts on this thread, I think the "sensible" course of action to take is to accept that playing while stoned may be more pleasurable but it's not real life.

I quite like the way that sounds become a lot more heightened or whatever it is.

I shared a house with these other guys where we'd stock up with smoke and would do nothing but smoke for however many days the dope lasted us.

But after a few days it got to be a real drag, so to speak. I hated being slow and doing the whole lotus eating thing. I couldn't wait for the dope to run out so I could go back to normal.

And yes, I could have stopped smoking but I knew I'd have to stop smoking when the dope ran out, so why bother?

I'm not big on it in bands though... I used to be in a band with this other guitarist who used to insist on smoking before rehearsals. That was a real drag. He'd always lose the plot of what we were doing. In the end, when we asked him to leave, he got very stroppy and accused me of not knowing anything about music.

What a tosser.

I smoked a lot of pot as a kid, and I loved to play while high, never could do so worth a damn! Forget about high on acid - luckily I never did that enough to seriously damage my mind.. I don't THINK! Long time ago though, and they haven't committed me yet!

As far as playing while drinking, that depends on how much and how used to it you are. It was never an issue in recent bands, since it was Sunday morning gigs at churches and in New York City you can't buy alcohol on Sunday before noon. The music was simple enough that I probably could have played it with a beer or two in me and done OK; but clearly I can play BETTER when fully alert! I never needed to do it in order to relax in that environment, since the audience wasn't very demanding. My fellow musicians expected me to be "alert, alive and aware" though. (Drinking and driving is another matter, since it easily can get you crippled or killed!)

As a matter of pride in my work (and not wanting to be fired), I don't drink on the job as a translator, so why should I do so as a musician?

I've never done any illegal drugs. Never smoked a cigarette, though I have had a puff or two of two cigars and my uncle's pipe. Drank for a year in college (I grandfathered in Iowa when they upped the drinking age to 21.) but realized it was neither fun, nor tasty. (Ok.. a few mixed drinks tasted good, but I could get the taste without the buzz elsewhere. Never had any taste for beer, wine or straight liquor.)

I don't see myself as any more righteous than those who have imbibed in such things, but I'm glad I don't. I've been fortunate that the few tours I've travelled with were with artists who neither drank or smoked on the bus. (Or at all.) The band I took to the middle east never drank until after the show.

I don't care if someone wants to get stoned so long as it doesn't impact my job, force me to smell it, or put me at risk of arrest. Any drug induced, altered state will mess with your hearing as well as your perception. Both can be murder on performance.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

caputo- I believe the term you were lookin for was Victimless Crime. These are things such as gambling, prostitution, and drug use. However, the argument runs, that there is no such thing as a victimless crime, because these habits affect many social aspects.

Also, i think we are overlooking a big aspect on the statistics between "coke" and alcohol. These numbers should be in relation to the population that uses them. On the grand scale, alcohol (I belive, not sure though)does kill more people in the US a year, than meth or coke. However, this should be looked at compared to the number of people who use the drug. i.e. How many people die alcohol related deaths compared to how many people drink. And how many people die meth or coke related deaths compared to those who use meth or coke. I dont have statistical proof, but i have a feeling those meth and coke ratios will be much closer to equalling 1 than alcohol's.

- My own two cents. I would usually have a 40 and a beer or two when my bro and i would jam for fun. when we did this i noticed i would fumble around with the pick, miss strums, loose balance, and couldnt here myself singin (although im pretty sure it was off key). I think you should know your tolerance. if i played an actual show, by no means would i have more than a beer or two. But i agree, better to go sober.

hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Our bass player used to smoke weed before he'd show up for a gig. You could always tell when he was toked up because he'd have that stupid grin on his phase and his eyes were nearly closed.

He always said his playing was more inventive and imaginative when he was stoned. He wasn't. In fact his playing wasn't as good. He was loose and he made more mistakes. But at least he wasn't an asshole when he was stoned. But that was the only good thing about it. He was also highly suggestable when he was stoned (he'd go along with anything, especially if you gave him food).

But that wasn't as bad as when he'd show up drunk. When he was drunk he couldn't play for shit (usually he would sway around like grass in the wind, too) and once he even threw up on himself during a song then passed out. A couple of times we turned off his amp because his playing was so bad. At least our keyboard guy could fill the void.

I had to go to his trailer to get him on more than one occasion when he didn't show up for the sound check.

He was getting into cocaine when the band broke up. He thought the coke was making him a better player. It just make him more of a wanker. He died back in 1992 from speed balling (whatever that is).

...nice story, I'll pass it on to my students? :thu:

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Caputo:

Congrats on getting clean. I gave up weed in high school after I had a bad paranoia trip.

However, I kept on drinking until I screwed up my life and the life of anyone that was close to me.

It's a constant stuggle to stay sober and sometimes I still want to drink or smoke, but I know it's not for me.

Smoking and Drinking may spark ones creativity, but it will screw up thier performance and delivery of that creation. I think Poe and Carroll and anyone else who was inspired by a mind altering sustances probably waited until they were straight to write down thier freaky trip.

Stay strong and Keep Straight.

Well here is a story about drugs and music. Allot of years ago I played with a group in the area and at that time we used two guitarists. Joe was the other guitarist and a completely absorbed and wonderful guitar player and a great athlete and person. Joe was introduced to heroin by a girl friend who had been using for a few years. Joe got so bad and unreliable that he had to quit the group that he loved and left all his friends and family behind. Two weeks before his death he came into the club where we where working. He went to the back room and got one of my backup guitars, came onto the dance floor and sat down and messed his pants and vomited. I will NEVER forget that. Drugs are the worse thing to ever be experienced in this world.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Well here is a story about drugs and music. Allot of years ago I played with a group in the area and at that time we used two guitarists. Joe was the other guitarist and a completely absorbed and wonderful guitar player and a great athlete and person. Joe was introduced to heroin by a girl friend who had been using for a few years. Joe got so bad and unreliable that he had to quit the group that he loved and left all his friends and family behind. Two weeks before his death he came into the club where we where working. He went to the back room and got one of my backup guitars, came onto the dance floor and sat down and messed his pants and vomited. I will NEVER forget that. Drugs are the worse thing to ever be experienced in this world.

And that's supposed to be a pleasant feeling! You have to wonder how anybody could ever get addicted to that crap.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

yeah heroin is teh worst. i have known several smackheads, 1 of them is dead.

you will die or go to jail. no 2 ways about it.

but back to weed and music. personally i think alcohol costs the most and causes the most problems because it is socially acceptable. It is OK to drink.

whether or not these drugs make you less creative is subjective. so many incredible bands smoke or smoked weed during their best years. VH, Pink Floyd, Rush, Led Zep, The Beatles, ALice in Chains, the eagles. I guess my question is, if pot doesn't aid somehow in the creative process, why are there so many great bands that smoked it? If they hadn't smoked it, would they have written the same stuff?

I guess my question is, if pot doesn't aid somehow in the creative process, why are there so many great bands that smoked it? If they hadn't smoked it, would they have written the same stuff?

That is a tough question which then piles up another tough question:

• Would their songs been even better and would they have been more productive had they NOT been high?

Oh but a counter question comes up:

• So even if the songs were better and band more productive because of sobriety;
    Would the kids have bought the records if the bands didn't have the "rock and roll/deviate from the norm/drug vibe"?

Originally posted by Caputo:

quote:

I guess my question is, if pot doesn't aid somehow in the creative process, why are there so many great bands that smoked it? If they hadn't smoked it, would they have written the same stuff?
That is a tough question which then piles up another tough question:

• Would their songs been even better and would they have been more productive had they NOT been high?

Oh but a counter question comes up:

• So even if the songs were better and band more productive because of sobriety;

Would the kids have bought the records if the bands didn't have the "rock and roll/deviate from the norm/drug vibe"?

+1

I guess we'll never find out.

My MySpace Space

What it comes down to is that distractions are bad for music, and addictions are the ultimate distractions. The lists, the relative merits/evils, all are somewhat beside the point in the larger view.

Music, indeed, creativity in all its forms requires, if not demands, focus. Getting high or having a drink or whatever to 'loosen up' or to take one's mind off of the distractions and make it easier to focus on what is important is as valid a method as any other, and that is what these addictions in theory are used for.... UNTIL they become addictions and become an all-encompassing part of a persons lifestyle.

Golf, love, motorcycles, checkers, all qualify and all can be equally debilitating to the music muse; regardless of how they may affect the rest of ones life.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Originally posted by PickPunk:

peace

Yes. When I was in the military in the early '70s, a guy that I was in school with for a year or so killed his younger brother over a half pound of pot. He beat him to death with an aluminum baseball bat. His excuse? "I was stoned. I thought he took my pot." (The State of Alabama vs Danny Petty in the Felony Murder of Lester Thomas Petty)

In about 1969 or 1970 my younger brother (now deceased due to other drugs) was out riding around in a car with his buddy and smoking pot. They were in a car crash because the driver was impaired and his reaction times were slow. My brother hit the windshield with the side of his face. It took over 400 stitches to reassemble his face. He was never really the same mentally after that accident. About a year later, that same guy killed his sister in exactly the same fashion. (His name is Steve Roberts. I can't remember if he was prosecuted by the State as a felony or the County.)

Most of the time, I think pot is not as harmful as other illegal drugs. However, it's not harmless by any means. It has proven serious long-term medical side effects and it does definitely impair judgement. I would have to guess that it has a huge impact on the economy, too. No matter what people think, they are less productive when they are on marijuana.

wow those are some pretty bad stories. i was only being half serious before, my point was just that weed generally induces a more peaceful state in people, IME, but obviously no drug is harmless.

My personal experience with weed is that its good when you are ONLY going to vedge. if you plan on doing anything of any importance it either wont get done or will get done very poorly.

when i smoke with my friends (maybe once or twice a month) its a time for relaxation, we usually watch a movie or listen to music or maybe play video games. Occasionally we jam high but its only for fun...if we actually think we have somehting decent sounding we write it down or record it an then listen or play it again when we're sober to judge it properly.

Weed definitely distorts perception and impairs judgement...i myself dont have any bad stories proving this point, such as some shared in this thread. sometimes (usually only after being REALLY stoned) we come up with these weird..abstract...nonsense theories and write them down. then we read them when we're sober an just laugh at the nonsense, its amazing how something you think is going to save the world (no joke..my friend actually thought he discovered the cure for cancer one time) when you're high is just pure stupidity when you're sober.

Personally, i don't understand how someone can "need" to be high to do anything... its just odd to me because, IME, weed really just allows you to be alot more stupid than you normally are for a short period of time. i dont believe in pot smoking as a lifestyle, its something i enjoy once in a while with friends (its nice to be stupid once in a while :P ) but i could never see myself enjoying it everyday. The longest time i've ever smoked was 3 days in a row and honestly i just felt like shit after my buzz was gone: my eyes were itchy, my throat was sore, i kept coughing and i had a terrible headache. very unpleasant. i guess IMO weed is like anything else: a little is alright every now and then but too much just sucks after a while. (of course the one exception to this rule is guitar playing because i play for hours every day and love it more every day ;) )

peace

i would say that if you took 10 smokers and locked them in a room for a week with no cigarettes it would highly advised to not open the freakin door!!!!

smoking is a bitch and one mother of a big fucking monkey that hangs on your back real tight! :mad:

some day i will kick that monkeys ass!!!!

Would their songs have been better?. I don't know. But what if Jimi Hendrix had gone on to live past dying a very young man? What about Coltrane or Charlie Parker or any one of a number of people who died as a direct result of drugs. What of the countless young teenagers who never even reached their full potential.

The alchohol arguement is a bit tricky. Since it is so common and socially acceptable, sure just from sheer numbers, there are lots more casualties from alchohol. But it is by comparison much less strong and effective taan pot and or other substances. I can have a drink or 2 with minimal effect. Most drinkers can drink in moderation, although a certain percentage just can't control themselves and/ or are affected more than others. From what I have seen in other people, one puff of marijauna seems to have much more effect than one beer. Maybe I'm wrong, I can't say from personal experience, just my observations. Its always easy to try and self justify your actions. I am a moderate drinker in that I drink almost every night, but very rarely get drunk. So I do try to justify that to myself that this is ok.

After saying all this, I am one for legalizing marijauna for people over 21. The costs in crime related to obtaining drugs is a HUGE burden on society. But I think someone selling to a 13 year old should be whipped in public and then left to rot in jail. But for someone of the age of consent, then you should have a choice to get high on a Friday or Saturday night as something of a personal decision. Now if you are going to be driving or at work, then the same rules should apply as do to alchohol. I don't know the science enough about some of the other drugs, but heroin and crack seem to be so highly addicting that it doesn't really make sense to legalize them. If you are an addict then you can't really make a rational decision about things. I doubt that pot is addicting and probably quite a few other drugs. It is too bad that our government can't have a rational discussion on this topic. You would have thought we would have learned our lesson with prohibition.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

What it comes down to is that distractions are bad for music, and addictions are the ultimate distractions. The lists, the relative merits/evils, all are somewhat beside the point in the larger view.

Music, indeed, creativity in all its forms requires, if not demands, focus. Getting high or having a drink or whatever to 'loosen up' or to take one's mind off of the distractions and make it easier to focus on what is important is as valid a method as any other, and that is what these addictions in theory are used for.... UNTIL they become addictions and become an all-encompassing part of a persons lifestyle.

Golf, love, motorcycles, checkers, all qualify and all can be equally debilitating to the music muse; regardless of how they may affect the rest of ones life.

Bill

+1 Addictions suck time, energy and overall "life"...

like the internet guitar forum addiction. ;):D:freak:

My MySpace Space

gruupi: AFAIK pot is only addictive if it is laced with an addictive substance (like meth or crack).A girl i know smoked a joint one time that was laced with crack (she didnt know untill after she smoked it). For the following few months she actually had "joint cravings" and had to smoke at least 2 joints a day. eventually she just started smoking cigarettes when she didnt have weed. Luckily she overcame this and now doesnt smoke either (except weed once in a while but socially, not every day).

Pure pot though is habit forming but has no addictive properties AFAIK.

Also, it seems again a great point is being missed. Sometimes its not the action itself, but inter-related actions that cause a problem. Although smokin pot and playing a video game may be humble, but trace that little portion of weed back to its origin. I wonder what stories one could find.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Archived