Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can you identify this song?

LPCustom

I was just fiddling around on my guitar a little while ago and started playing something nearly automatically. (not like I'm possessed but it just came out -- my hands just knew what to do next)

I know this is a song I learned a _long_ time ago (over 20 years). I'm pretty sure this song used to be in our set lists.

It starts off with an arpegiation (sp?) of a progression EMaj, CMaj, GMaj, DMaj/DSus4/DMaj, AMaj. From the AMaj it does a walk down the 6th string from G to E for the EMaj chord. After about two bars of that, it takes off with 1 beat per chord in the same progression and holds the AMaj with a jump to DMaj and back.

I can't recall what this song is. I know the whole thing including a lead break. But I can't remember who the band is or the name of the song. Isn't that weird?

I'm probably not explaining this very well. But I think if you play what I'm describing, you'll recognize it.

I guess a bigger question is, has this ever happened to you?

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BriBaby is correct. :D:thu:

It's "Green Grass and High Tides" by The Outlaws. I just played it (on vinyl) and that's it.

I can't believe that I could play this song (it's almost 10 minutes long) and not know the name of it or even who wrote it.

Sorry, no prize other than having the satisfaction of being able to name a tune just from a few chords. You probably saved me from suicide, though! ;)

This was driving me crackers. I guess I'll have to go buy the CD, now. I can't believe I only have it on an LP. :rolleyes:

Has something like this every happened to any of you guys? Being able to play a song but not know what it is?

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

@BriBaby is correct. :D:thu:

It's "Green Grass and High Tides" by The Outlaws. I just played it (on vinyl) and that's it.

I can't believe that I could play this song (it's almost 10 minutes long) and not know the name of it or even who wrote it.

Sorry, no prize other than having the satisfaction of being able to name a tune just from a few chords. You probably saved me from suicide, though! ;)

This was driving me crackers. I guess I'll have to go buy the CD, now. I can't believe I only have it on an LP. :rolleyes:

Has something like this every happened to any of you guys? Being able to play a song but not know what it is?

I know what you mean about a song driving you nuts until you can name it. My wife and I play that all the time. I got her today, as she was eating a macaroon at the buffet with "Sweet City Woman" of all songs.

Yes, it happens to me that I can play something without remembering it, but mostly it's the other way around. Like, gosh, I used to know such and such note for note, now know it note for not! :D

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Archived