Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

signature tones...

Gruupi

Since we are on the topic of tone this week, are their many if any of our guitar heroes that don't have a signature tone, or set of tones. It isn't always gear related, but that plays a part. If tone isn't important then why haven't almost everyone of us at least lusted after the gear of our favorite player, if we haven't bought it already.

Style and tone are so interelated that it is hard to separate them. When you say you can recognise a certain players playing, are you talking about which notes he plays, I doubt it. Are you talking about how he phrases those notes, yes that enters into it, but I bet the main thing that we really like about our heroes are there tones. The final result of all their hard work, talent, and intellect is the sound that they produce. Their styles are usually a collection of tones and phrasing that they heard from THEIR heroes.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that my favorite players are my favorites because of their tone. People like Eric Johnson and Stevie Ray Vaughn stand out because of the way they sounded. Lots of people can play as fast as Eric Johnson, and lots of people can bend strings like Stevie Ray Vaughn, but nobody really sounds like they do.

Equipment is just a means to an end though. The guitar and amp are just tools to attain the tone, which almost has to be concieved inside you, and through your fingers before the guitar or amp convey that tone through the air to your ears. You can almost run down the list of the top guitarists of all time and clearly hear their tone in your head without even having to think hard about it. So style and tone are so interdependant, that you really can't take one without the other.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can identify stylistic playing and signiture tones of four players that influenced me early on and throughout my playing career. For style and phrasing Lousiana Red... for style and attack and right hand technique in the blues Mike Bloomfield... for amp tone and feedback technique Jimmie Hendrix... for right hand technique in Funk... Dennis Coffee (MoTown) session player. I take everything from them and in one way or another their technique shapes my tone in everything.

what about david gimour? floyds stuff changes a lot throughout there career and i know theres a lot of different tones there. I never really did here of him being known for his tone either. A unique tone is reference to an artist is one thing i never got, if artists change there setup..and trys new stuff isnt there tone gonna change?

I truly believe that our tone is in our head (no, not amp head!). We may get the desire for specific tones by listening to other players or possibly just by necessity. Either way, the tone is in our head and that is what drives us to achieve it. We choose our guitars, pickups, amps, strings, picks and sometimes cables all in an attempt to refine our tone.

Maybe whether or not you have a signature tone can depend on your role in the music. If you play guitar in Def Leppard, all you really need to do is get a great rock guitar sound. You need a cohesive band sound. No need for individuality, tonewise. Or if songs are your game, you may pick a different tone for each song.

EoY mentions David Gilmour as a player who may not have a distinctive tone. But to me, when I think of Gilmour, I immediately think of his tone on the Wish You Were Here album. The fat strat. That is exactly what David Gilmour is to me. His tone fits his playing as well. Extremely tasteful.

Then again, Angus Young is another example. I love his playing and I grew up listening to all of the earlier AC/DC stuff. My favorite tone was from the Mutt Lange years. Before and after that, it just wasn't the same. And in all the times I've seen AC/DC live, Angus' tone wasn't even close to Back in Black. It was more like the very early sound. Extremely raw.

It's fascinating that we equate some players with their tone. It must lie somewhere in our identity, whether we are more individualistic than others. I never really wanted to cop someone else's tone as much as just get a great sound.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

One player that I find always is instantly recognizable is Steve Morse. His tone and playing always stands out...from the Dregs all the way to his solo material.

www.sadites.com/music.htm

www.sadites.com/GP%20Forum%20Special.htm

Jason Sadites

www.sadites.com

New CD 'WEVE' available now! Featuring performances by: Tony Levin, Kenny Aronoff, Marco Minnemann, Brett Garsed, Gregg and Matt Bissonette, Chad Wackerman and more!

Alex Lifeson, Joe Walsh, Rik Emmet all always had great recorded and live tones but they changed over time.

Alex Lifeson especially, he really did a few laps with his tone if you listen to his career in Rush. I personally liked his Old tone from the 70s the best.

Vai is another example of someone who really changes tones alot. He is always identifiable too. I have always thought he sounded so much like Zappa. Like Zappa with EVH and Yngwie thrown in together.

IMO here some players who have a distinctive "tone" that is probably more recognizable than their style: (or contrubutes as equally)

Carlos Santana

Billy Gibbons

Eric Johnson

Brian May

Tom Scholz (The whole Boston thing as a revolutionary new tone)

EVH - The "Brown sound"

Robin Trower - His chorus thing

Jimi Hendrix - the whole feedback, fuzz thing

I think the above players all contrubuted something new to the tone world and that is what set sets them apart. The are more but these are the ones I could think of now.

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

Your One-Stop Custom Cable Shop

Good signature electric guitar tones in my book:

Wes Montgomery- Boss Guitar, Full House

EVH - 1984

Allan Holdsworth

the Young Bros.- Back in Black

Robben Ford- w/ the Blue Line

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger & Superunknown

Gilmour - Delicate Sound of Thunder

Def Leppard - High N' Dry, Pyromania, not later albums...

Eric Johnson

Alex Lifeson - solos in Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves (didn't like his tone for rhythm). Also, that super-wet sound in A Show of Hands, fuller than his albums of that era.

Metallica- Master of Puppets & Ride the Lightning

I listened to some of Chris Poland's clips a while ago, and liked his tone w/ Ohm (if I remember correctly)

very distinctive electric tones with which I have love/hate relationships: SRV and Steve Vai (hate it especially on the lower registers... mud, anyone?)

very famous and distinctive electric guitar tones I dislike, but many peeps love: Joe Satriani, a lot of Rush's stuff, a lot of Iron Maiden's stuff, John Petrucci, Pat Martino-The Visit (Footprints), Radiohead-OK Computer, Slash, Randy Rhoads-Tribute, Korn, Limp Bizkit

and one more thing: do I smell Spam around here?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Sting3r:

Hey guys, first time poster. I always liked Steve Lukather.

My guitar instructor ( Seattle Guitar Teacher ) has a great Lukather tone.

Welcome - make sure you check in at "Roll Call" so we know a bit about you. This is a great site, with some very knowledgeable and helpful people. :wave:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Sting3r:

Hey guys, first time poster. I always liked Steve Lukather.

My guitar instructor ( Seattle Guitar Teacher ) has a great Lukather tone.

Some people here may perceive the promotion of your instructor as spam(advertising), and may make canned mystery meat inferences. I'm not flaming you because it seemed innocent enough, but give the fora a good read and get a feel for things here. We welcome new guitar enthusiasts, but ask that political, religious, and personal bias not be posted here.

Again, welcome, and let's hear more from you. :)

I don't think anyone one has gone on about his tone more than Carlos Santana. Sadly, that's all he seems to have these days;someone should tell him that familiarity breeds contempt. I bought his just released CD, and immediatlly wished I'd listened to it first before buying, on first hearing I was very close to turning it into a frisbee.

Originally posted by Philemec:

I don't think anyone one has gone on about his tone more than Carlos Santana. Sadly, that's all he seems to have these days;someone should tell him that familiarity breeds contempt. I bought his just released CD, and immediatlly wished I'd listened to it first before buying, on first hearing I was very close to turning it into a frisbee.

I don't have his latest CD, but Carlos has already earned his place in history as one of the most soulful players of all time, with tone to die for! And no one has legitimized Latin percussion into mainstream rock to such an extent.

Agreed,I'm a huge Santana freak - which is why his latest is so disappointing. Personally I like it when performers mix their tone up and take risks.You don't want to always hear the same stuff over and over.

I know he's a legend, but 34 bucks is 34 bucks (what a new CD costs here)and I felt ripped off. Listen and you'll see what I mean. He's destroying his own reputation by putting out yet another uninspired rehash of the Supernatural formula.

Carlos - you're better than this rubbish mate.

• 11 months later...

Yes it's funny how you can hear a piece on, say a TV incidental music, and realise you've heard 'that' style before.

For example, I can usually pick the guy who played the music score guitar work on 'Top Gun' yet I haven't a clue who it is. I've picked him on various other films/scores/TV soundtracks.

Anyone tell me who it is?

McG.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Geoff you talking about all the tracks that are on the movie or the "fill" of the musical score"

I know Kenny Loggins had a few tracks on the soundtrack but after that no real help and obviously Berlin sung the big hit from the movie.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Since we are on the topic of tone this week, are their many if any of our guitar heroes that don't have a signature tone, or set of tones.

No one has answered the question. He's looking to identify someone considered a great player, but who doesn't have a signature tone. Are there any out there?

Maybe..George Harrison?

Buckethead.

Sure, his stuff's metal-oriented, but the experimentalist in him has assured that his tones (not to mention his compositions...) are always changing. He's used everything possible to get his sound. Whether it's with a high dollar tube amp, or a $500 multi-fx, Bucket usually manages to nail something cool sounding.

The only sure thing about him so far is that very few people get to meet him without his silly trademark KFC bucket and mask costume on. Otherwise, he's about as enigmatic and intriguing as they come. :D

Keaggy- his electric tone has varied considerably over the years. He has a signature tone on acoustic with his Olson but is a chameleon on electric guitar.

I mentioned my favorite Keaggy electric tone in Editor Boys thread. Here's the live version of it, not as over the top as the studio tone, but close enough for rock and roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQcAoKnqdec

Steve Howe is another player whose tones are varied, from his ES-175 tone to the pinched strat tones on Relayer. His style is unmistakable, his tones are sculpted for their context.

Archived