Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Endorsements--Topic Inspired by Bluesape

Pappy P

Originally Posted by Bluesape:

- he was hoping to get an endorsement from Blade. He said it was the finest guitar he'd ever played, and hinted that Buddy's Fender endorsement kept him from playing one.

I'm still reeling from the phoney back-line revelation, now this.

Does this really go on. Are guitarist required to play a certain guitar (live I suppose) just because they have an endorsment or a signature model?

How many of you would give up (foresake before all others) playing other guitars because you have an endorsement?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have heard stories. one that come to mind is when Dokken was shooting a video the ESP guys slapped a esp sticker on the headstock of George Lynch's custom made axe.

what gets me about endorsements where the artist seems to be so wishy washy and changes his endorsements like underwear.

how do you believe someone who is praising a different guitar every ad you see him in?

my all time biggest endorsement peeve is Dave Navarro.

i read an article in GP with regards to tone tips, every artist gave thier two cents on how they get great tone.

Dave Navarro said something blunt about wasting time with regards to what guitar players use for gear. and then stated the time is best used practicing. fair enough Mr. Navarro... so why do i see your face all over the place in endorsement ads? change your mind? don't you have enough money to buy a freaking shirt yet?

It came from the "Amazing Guitarist in your Hometown thread. Bluesape was responding to someone else's post. It was a cool post. Should've posted the whole thing. I didn't want to hi-jack that thread though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Haga:

Not much goes on in the small town I live in but there is one player I'd like to mention:

Scott Holt toured with Buddy Guy for 10 years or so. Now he's got his own band going. I notice his new album is on iTunes...

--------------------------------------------------Reply posted by Bluesape------------------------------

Scott's amazing - the first time I saw Buddy, Scott was with him - it was a small club, and we got chattin' - he was favouring this hideous green ESP strat. The next time I saw them, same club, he was playing a Blade. I was already looking at them, but his endorsement fueled my quest for a Blade. He said he put up all his other guitars; Les Pauls, Strats, clones - he was hoping to get an endorsement from Blade. He said it was the finest guitar he'd ever played, and hinted that Buddy's Fender endorsement kept him from playing one. Seeing that amazing kid get around on that Blade was all the impetus I needed - I picked up a used Blade within weeks, and now have a second one as well. I saw them again downtown, and yelled from the crowd - told Scott I'd bought a Blade just as they were plugging in before Buddy came out. He was glad for me. I definitely hope to see Scott again and thank him for turning me on to the best guitars I've ever played. Scott is definitely worth seeing live - he's as good as ANYBODY out there, and is a genuinely nice human being.

My old drummer used to tell stories of a famous drummer, endorsing DW drums; but he just put DW badges over some other set of drums he was actually using.

We all know the Van Halen/Ernie Ball/Peavey flip-flop.

ONe that got me was that last year in Bass Player, maybe April or May, they reviewd teh Zon Robert Trujilo signature bass. No more than 3 months later, there was an ad in the magazine for him endorsing another bass! Full Page ads that ran for a couple of months. I don't know what their endorsement contracts look like, but you'd think there would be a little bit of common courtesy.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I've heard about lots of endorsers using different amps than the one on the name badge. (I mean, how hard is it to gut an amp, replace the electronics with the guts of another amp, and hook up some electricity to the lights to make it seem like you're playing the amp named on the cabinet or faceplate? ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

Does this really go on. Are guitarist required to play a certain guitar (live I suppose) just because they have an endorsment or a signature model?

Interesting topic...

The answer can be yes and no. It depends on your profile level. Usually an endorsement deal is initiated by the artist or the artists management to get cost or less than cost price for his favorite guitar, strings, FX, amp, etc. This kind of deal is most likely a non-exclusive type, and the artist is more than happy to play his/her favorite piece of equipment...because they wanted it....the company doesn't lose, because it basically gets close to the same as it would selling it to retail outlets.

Then there is the profile level where the product company will offer a sizeable cash advance plus sometimes percentage points for the artist to use their product...like with sport.

It is in the artist's favour and interest to use the equipment so the deal is a healthy business partnership, otherwise the artist could jeopadise his endorsement that could be quite lucrative to him/her.

I don't know of an artist being sued for not using, it's possible, but I personally don't know of a case...I could stand corrected.

In regards to the fake cabinets/

I once did a month tour with a very famous, cult Australian band that used (or so it appeared) double Marshall stacks for each of the guitarists.

The sound engineer showed me in soundcheck the opening back on 2 of the Marshall cabs...swung open and inside each was a small 12 watt transistor Marshall practice amp with an SM-57 mounted in front. Sounded great front of house, but alas, no tube Marshall sound.

Rob

If someone asked me to endorse the stuff I was using, why not. If someone asked me to endorse something that they built to my specs or somehow had me convinced it was better than what I had, I would be sceptical but would consider it. If someone asked me to endorse a product that I didn't like, even if it was a "rebadge", no way. Of course I don't make my living off of music, and was never a rock star, so I haven't developed an expensive lifestyle that I feel I would need to maintain.

This is like Tiger Woods having the fake names on his clubs. Either that or he had the names ground off, I forget. I think I heard he was i the process of switching companies.

Marc Seal used to have demo videos for Parker. Now he's a Fender man again. I've always loved going to guitar sites to see who is playing their guitars, then go to the artist's site and not be able to find that guitar anywhere on it.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I've seen ads where Yngwie has endorsed Crate, Randall, and Marshall. Satch endorses Laney and Marshall. Vai endorses Carvin and Marshall. Buddy used to endorse Marshall, now he uses Cyber Twins.

I couldn't begin to list all the guitars Steve Salas has endorsed. I once saw a Fender ad where Jeff Healey was playing a Fernandez strat! I thought to myself, who'd pull a trick like that on a blind guy, but it was a full poster! In a store!

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I once saw Tom Principato some years back after he'd toured with Danny Gatton, at the same club in Kitchener, Ontario where I first saw Buddy. He played a guest set at Mel Brown's jam there. I was next up to jam, and yakked with him while he packed up. He had a Strat with Lace Sensors, which I thought sounded great, but he wasn't satisfied with his sound. This was back when Fender was pushing Lace Sensors like the Second Coming. I'd just put Evans pickups in my '71 Strat, and told him I loved the sound of them, since I'd heard Jeff Healy play with them on his Strat, and that he should check them out.

He said he had a Fender endorsement, and couldn't take the chance on aftermarket pickups. I said why not - Healey had a Fender endorsement and still endorsed Evans. Tom looked at me like I'd just fallen off a turnip truck from the hills, smiled, and said he'd have to stick with Fender products.

I got the distinct impression that not all endorsements were created equal, even from the same company.

Originally posted by ellwood:

"who'd pull a trick like that on a blind guy".......... A very small but very savy Latino advertising executive possiably? :D:thu:

And you have the stones to tell me I'M bad! :D

i had recently read the reason why Dave Mustaine jumped from Jackson to ESP. apparently he tried to buy Jackson several times and was turned down. after Fender aquired Jackson his "deal" went from 11 to 1 guitar a year. he wasn't pleased that fender took over and jumped ship to ESP.

i remember seeing Traci Guns endorsing a different company every month ( so it seemed).

i often wondered how Yngwie felt holding those Aria pro guitars in the Aria ads that Alcatraz used to be in. he was new and must have been gritting his teeth until he had a name.

there is some interesting reading over at Vintage Kramer about the whole Kramer story and it includes some info on Floyd rose trems and of course Eddie.

oops i am rambling... :D

BTW - The band I brought to the Mideast had several endorsements, though they were unsigned and pretty much unknown. One of the guitar players endorsed Gibson. They handed him a Flying V, a GA-15RV and more to have Gibson on the tour, overseas.

A half hour before take-off, we discovered the bass player's Eden combo and ATA case weighed a combined 163lbs! The airlines wouldn't take it and the amp would've been trashed without the case.

The guitarist phoned Gibson Artist Relations and I ended up riding with his dad back to Gibson Corporate Headquarters, where they met me outside and handed me a Trace-Elliot Commando. The tiniest of tiny practice amps. :D We darted back to the airport, dropped it in the much too large case, and I scooted off to the gate, just in time. Silly as that amp was, it worked as a monitor onstage and I DI'd it.

Having endorsement connections at a company like Gibson, who enjoy putting their name anywhere and everywhere they can, came in very handy and saved our collective butts!

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fuddmusic:

Originally posted by Pappadopalus:

Interesting topic...

The answer can be yes and no. It depends on your profile level. Usually an endorsement deal is initiated by the artist or the artists management to get cost or less than cost price for his favorite guitar, strings, FX, amp, etc. This kind of deal is most likely a non-exclusive type, and the artist is more than happy to play his/her favorite piece of equipment...because they wanted it....the company doesn't lose, because it basically gets close to the same as it would selling it to retail outlets.

Then there is the profile level where the product company will offer a sizeable cash advance plus sometimes percentage points for the artist to use their product...like with sport.

It is in the artist's favour and interest to use the equipment so the deal is a healthy business partnership, otherwise the artist could jeopadise his endorsement that could be quite lucrative to him/her.

I don't know of an artist being sued for not using, it's possible, but I personally don't know of a case...I could stand corrected.

Rob

Some good points here, but I think only the Top-Dogs actually get paid. I have a few cost deals, pickups, FX, etc, and they don't ask for anything. I once had an opportunity to sign an unpaid contract deal with Gibson, and they did expect me to play their guitar, but only on high level shows and TV appearances. Day-to-day local shows didn't matter. I don't fault them for this, they were gonna give me great prices, I'm just such a wierdo that I'd rather pay full price than have anyone tell me that I HAVE to play any guitar on any particular occasion. I don't think companies would go through the trouble/expense of a lawsuit, exc ept maybe on the EVH level, they'd probably just drop you if you showed up on TV with another guitar.

I stopped chasing endorsements, cause it seems that all my friends spend a lot of time worrying about what their endorsers think about the gigs that they do. I would like a string deal though...

www.myspace.com/christondre

Archived