Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally finished my new/old amp project. Wow!

PBBPaul

Hey Paul...where in Wisconsin are you?

I love that state. When I was a kid we spent every summer up at a cabin my grandfather built in the 30's, up in a place called Port Wing, Wisc. Right on the lake. My grandfather lived in Superior, Wisc...it's kind of a weird town..

My dad ended up moving to little Hartford, Wisc. which is one of the ideal little Wisconsin towns I have daydreams of living in when I retire, if my wife will move from Norway, at least for summers or something :-)

I grew up outside Chicago, in Deerfield, IL.

Just curious...with that amp and pictures, it's possible you don't want to announce where you live :-) and that would be cool, I was just curious. I liked the "batten down for winter"...describes it perfectly.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

Hey Paul...where in Wisconsin are you?

I love that state. When I was a kid we spent every summer up at a cabin my grandfather built in the 30's, up in a place called Port Wing, Wisc. Right on the lake. My grandfather lived in Superior, Wisc...it's kind of a weird town..

My dad ended up moving to little Hartford, Wisc. which is one of the ideal little Wisconsin towns I have daydreams of living in when I retire, if my wife will move from Norway, at least for summers or something :-)

I grew up outside Chicago, in Deerfield, IL.

Just curious...with that amp and pictures, it's possible you don't want to announce where you live :-) and that would be cool, I was just curious. I liked the "batten down for winter"...describes it perfectly.

Hi Jim,

I live about 30 miles west of Milwaukee and a little Southwest of Hartford. It is a very nice area. Lots of lakes. You may not recognize Hartford. The area is growing a lot.

Superior is kind of a strange town but hey... look where it's situated.

I went to school in Whitewater and I remember a guy living down the hall from me was from Deerfield. He was a very good guitar player but I can't recall his name off-hand. This would have been around '83 or so.

- Edit -

I just remembered the guy's name - I think it was Bill Sanke (sp?).

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Another note: I have a thing against waste and I enjoy making stuff out of what others would consider scrap or garbage.

Yeah, I know I'm cheap but I hate seeing stuff wasted that could be put to good use. Like my new amp. :)

Ha ha Thats not cheap man, thats just making good use of available resources.

I know I do the same thing. My basement is full of ah well very useful stuff

I was wondering how you did the faceplate; from the photo it looks perfect!

The saddest thing Ive seen is our Missouri Pallet Mills. An old friend of mine retired from one. He has a nice stockpile of beautiful Walnut, Cherry, Maple, and Ash.

Makes me sick to think of such beautiful wood being turned into pallets

Originally posted by Darklava:

I like yours too Flash and the amp stand :D

Thanks Darklava Im afraid the old amp stand is eBay bound if I ever get the time. :D

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

• 1 year later...
wow, that looks incredible... what is that in the back, an ART FX processor? how did you hook it up? Did you create an FX loop?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

wow, that looks incredible... what is that in the back, an ART FX processor? how did you hook it up? Did you breate an FX loop?

Thank you. The unit in back is an old ART FXR. I really like the reverbs in that thing. The base amp has a kind of effects loop in that it has a line out and two line ins. I chose not to use it though. When I built this rig, I went for flexibility as well as efficiency. The two jacks on the front have cables soldered to them on the inside that run to 1/4" plugs. I could then plug them straight into the two amp channels or the stereo effects processor first. Instead, I ran one of the cables to the output of the wireless that's hidden inside and the other to the mono input on the ART effectively making a send/return to my pedalboard. I then ran the two outs from the ART to the two ins on the amp. Does this make sense? It works and sounds great to me.

LMAO....I was reading this, thinking...Jeezzz, Caevan is back, and all of a sudden I'm seeing a bunch of guys I haven't seen in a while.

Then I look at the dates!!! LOL.....DUH!!!

A great job on that amp, Paul. I'm very impressed. It's a beauty.

Are you still using it? How'd adding the fan go?

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

LMAO....I was reading this, thinking...Jeezzz, Caevan is back, and all of a sudden I'm seeing a bunch of guys I haven't seen in a while.

Then I look at the dates!!! LOL.....DUH!!!

A great job on that amp, Paul. I'm very impressed. It's a beauty.

Are you still using it? How'd adding the fan go?

Thanks Doc. Yep, I'm still using it with no problems whatsoever. It sounds better than ever. The cooling fan worked out great too. It's a little noisy at startup but no prob once we start playing.

That a pretty frickin' cool looking amp and I bet it sounds like no other. Great workmanship! I wish I was that clever.

Thanks! It sounds very cool. It's a bit darker and warmer than your average Fender. Rather like an old Gibson amp.

I don't know about clever... I've been playing and gigging for a long time and continually look for ways to make it easier, faster and better sounding. Building the rackspaces and wireless into a combo is a result of that. Plus I just find putzing with this stuff to be very relaxing and fun.

"The two jacks on the front have cables soldered to them on the inside that run to 1/4" plugs. I could then plug them straight into the two amp channels or the stereo effects processor first. Instead, I ran one of the cables to the output of the wireless that's hidden inside and the other to the mono input on the ART effectively making a send/return to my pedalboard. I then ran the two outs from the ART to the two ins on the amp."

Too cool, Paul! What a trick set-up. I love the idea of simply setting the amp up where you want it, plugging in for AC, turning it on and immediately playing without uncoiling a cable and plugging in both the guitar and the amp. Stealth wireless!

I had a smaller Bogen PA box a long time ago that someone had given me, much like that but a lot lower in output, I'm sure. I never got to do anything with it as it sorta got misplaced somewhere along the line when I was moving years ago. As a sort of a consolation prize, though, I also found an ancient ('30s? '4os?) 2x6V6 power-amp on a small chrome chassis (looks like a little cousin to an old MacIntosh Hi-Fi), laying by a curb on the side of the street, where an old house was being remodeled. And I've also been given a little Harmony 1x8, 1x6V6 combo (think wonky Champ) and a Silvertone 2x6V6 "head" that used to be a combo, both by folks who thought of them as old junk and considered it being a favor that took them off their hands! The Harmony and the Silvertone are going to eventually be a real cool two-amp, A/B/Y-switching rig for cranking in small settings... :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Paul! I've found a few of these for sale in what appears to be good condition. How much time can you devote to helping me mod one into an amp like yours the week of Memorial Day? ;) (Just kidding.. though I am thinking of buying one.)

Hey Neil!

If we can make it happen this time, I'll definitely show you how to do it. It's really pretty easy. I just cruised around eBay and there are a few reasonably priced units around.

What did I do? I'm high bidder on one for $72. :eek:

Not going a cent higher but it's up in less than an hour.

Hey, Neil, did you win the auction? If not I've got a smaller Bogen Challenger I bought last year that I've never gotten around to working on. Sing out if yer' interested. I have the manual with the schematic for it around here somewhere.

The transformers appear to be good but the caps are old. All the tubes warm up so they have heater power and the power trannies aren't shorted out. I was going to rewire it and replace all the components except the trannies. I just never got to it (still too busy all the time).

If anyone else is interested, just say so. You can pm me or email me.

Born on the Bayou

Sorry I missed these messages before now. I had one for $72 I really didn't expect to get the high bid at that price (barely over the previous high bid whic was barely over my original limit). Then I had to go home 20 minutes before it ended. I was beginning to get buyer's remorse because I can't really justify the purchase without selling something else. I didn't see until the next morning that I was outbid by $1. :freak: (sigh)

I'll think about it, LP. (Good to see you around! :thu: ) If you have any other takers, definitely go for it, but thanks for thinking of me. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived