Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally finished my new/old amp project. Wow!

PBBPaul

So I picked up this old industrial paging amplifier a while back and decided to play with it. http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/8518/originalfront3ln.jpg

I pulled the chassis and found it to be totally hand-wired with some pretty high grade components.

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/7529/guts0ep.jpg

So I gave a it a good cleaning, updated the jacks, replaced the filter caps, fabricated a faceplate and built a 2X12 cab. http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/4368/sizingrough2vg.jpg

After getting everything to fit properly, I added the Jensen C12s, covered the cab in Fender blonde tolex with black and gold hardware and black grill cloth.

Voila!

http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/2439/finishedfront8ra.jpg

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/6654/finishedrear9sp.jpg

I got to use it at a gig last Saturday and all I can say is WOW! This thing sounds unbelievable. I can't wait to play out with it more.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Picker:

Can you describe the tone? Is it big and clean, or nice and cruncy, or somewhere between the two?

It's darker than any of my Fenders but can still be very clean. When cranked up, it's a different kind of distortion too. Not bad at all, just a little different. I'm so used to 12AX7 preamps and this one uses a 6EU7 and a 12AX7.

I've been using Fender amps for the past 15 years so that's obviously my baseline. I A/B'd it with a '74 Twin, '65 Bandmaster, '75 Bassman and '93 Blues DeVille and it sounds at least as good as any of them as far as soulfulness.

I'll try to put up some clips but it will probably take me a week or so.

Man....it just pisses me off no end that I know how that project would have looked if I'D tried to do it :-) (about like Homer Simpson's barbeque project)..

Seriously BEAUTIFUL work you did on that. The coolest part...hell...it's actuall ALL cool, but one of the coolest parts of it is you took an amp that was just not a restoration, but one that took designing as well, and made it look just beautiful.

I see the workmanship especially in like picture number two, and the finished product.

Where did you get the original amp? Flea market or?...

How did you decide on that little bevel on the front (that is a really cool touch, as well as the backplate!!)

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

The more I look at this thing, the more impressed I get. Also, I started out super impressed.

But I wondered, on the finished amp on the back side picture, I see the amp tucked up there like it should be, but there is a backplate with what looks like a selector swtich, a knob, and then three other knobs on the right.

What is that? Any closeups of it?

And while you are at it, could you give a rundown on the controls (like those I mentioned) and on the front panel?

Did you have to mod the actual amp a lot other than moving things like input and on/off switches?

Really, I am amazed at this thing.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

But I wondered, on the finished amp on the back side picture, I see the amp tucked up there like it should be, but there is a backplate with what looks like a selector swtich, a knob, and then three other knobs on the right.

What is that? Any closeups of it?

Looks like his onboard reverb. An ART RXR, I believe.

Heh heh...

My Bandmaster is a very cool little rig. It's not going anywhere. I may put my Blues DeVille up for sale though. Except for the occasional recording project, it hasn't been used in several years.

So to answer some questions:

The controls on the front panel L - R:

Power Switch, Treble, Bass, Master Volume, Effects Returns (fades between 1 & 2), Pre Volume 1, Pre Volume 2.

On the back, you'll notice the wood slats. These are spaced 19" apart and drilled to accept rack-mount gear. The mounted device is an old ART FXR multi-effect unit that I use for the reverb. Hidden in the belly of the cab is an AT wireless receiver and a conditioning power strip with a 15' cable. While the amp is a good 5" shorter than the Twin, it is a full 11" deep to accomodate rack devices behind the speakers.

The inputs are adjustable. They go to 1/4" plugs on the inside that can used as individual inputs to the two channels or (as I'm using them) a send from the wireless and a return to the mono input on the FXR. The FXR puts out left & right from the single input and I am running those to both channels.

I beveled the top of the amp cab so the controls would be recessed and protected yet readily readable and available in a gig situation.

I bought the amp originally off of eBay. Since then I have bought two more with plans of making a couple more like this with different speaker configs.

These things are still pretty common but I think they are becoming recognized for how cool they are and the prices are going up. They used to be around $20-$40 and are now fetching upwards of $100 in many cases. Still a pretty good deal when you compare it with newer had-wired tube amps.

As for the tweaking necessary- If you buy one of these, be prepared to spend some money, do a total recap, replace the antiquated input jacks (this is a tougher job than one may think) and do a thorough cleaning. Most of these that you will find have been sitting in somebody's barn or closet for 30+ years. I did see one on eBay though that was new in the box. A guy found it in his grandfather's attic. Unfortunately, it was way out of my budget.

The one thing I will do yet to this amp is add a cooling fan. It got pretty hot Saturday night.

Thanks for the compliments!

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

That looks real sharp, Paul!

Say, what tubes does it use again? Is it a Class-A, A/B, or what? About how many watts?

I have both the CHB50 model and the CHB100. They have identical chassis'.

I've messed around with both models in this cab and chose the CHB100. It uses a 6CA4, a 6EU7, a 12AX7 and 4 7868 power tubes. The 7868 is electronically the same as the 7591. As far as power, it's supposedly rated at 100 watts but I think they were being a little optimistic. I'm guessing it's closer to 65 or 70.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I swapped out the old ungrounded power cord for a grounded one. This should be a no-brainer step but I want to make sure that anyone considering doing this makes that particular mod.

Cool, thanks!

Didja put in new tubes, or are you running it with the compliment that was onboard when you got them?

If so, where didja get 'em?

I'm not all that familiar at all with some of those...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by caprae:

Yea, like he said, nice wormanship. :eek:

So when is the backyard BarBQue?

This is Wisconsin. We're starting to batton down for the winter around here. Won't be too much partying on the deck for the next 6 or 7 months.

Could be worth exploring next summer though.

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Cool, thanks!

Didja put in new tubes, or are you running it with the compliment that was onboard when you got them?

If so, where didja get 'em?

I'm not all that familiar at all with some of those...

I'm running the original Sylvania power tubes which seem to be just fine. I bought a batch of 6EU7's and 6CA 4's a while ago so right now I'm using a NOS JAN 6EU7, a Wurlitzer 6CA4 and a NOS GE 12AX7. Nice mix, eh? eBay can't be beat for unusual tubes.

Originally posted by Flashback:

Cool!

Now all you need is to spell out your name in script on a piece of ¼ cherry, jig-saw it out, finish it and attach to the grill cloth ;)

I actually had plans to cut out a logo design in the faceplate and backlight it. The I realized how badly I would screw it up and put in a standard pilot light.

Another note: I have a thing against waste and I enjoy making stuff out of what others would consider scrap or garbage. I made the faceplate from an old piece of duct work that I cut, bent, polished, painted with metallic gold and coated in several coats of gloss lacquer. It turned out pretty good. The screen on the back is cut from one that was once on my front door. All of the wood was considered scrap from various building projects in our area.

Yeah, I know I'm cheap but I hate seeing stuff wasted that could be put to good use. Like my new amp. :)

Archived