Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Am I nuts?

Hardtail

During the month or so that I've gotten back into guitar playing, I've been thinking more and more about maybe pursuing a Masters Degree in music (there's a decent college in the area for that).

It has nothing to do with what I'm currently doing for a living (have a B.S. in Computer Science) and I have no plans on wanting to be a professional musician if I were to achieve this.

I guess part of me wants to do this because a long time ago, I wanted to go to Berklee. I chickened out because I didn't think I could handle the college work since I was a high school drop out at the time (now I have a comp sci degree... go figure).

Maybe this is some kind of mid life crisis.

I could do this. However, I'll probably have to spend a few years with a good teacher (preferably jazz) and keep practicing. For the record, I do understand most of the music theory discussions on this board.

I guess I always have to be different. Don't mean to be.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In answer to your question - Yes.

Well, no, but it's a big undertaking at your (our - I'm 58) age. You may find, as I did (I have a computing degree too) that you have underestimated the amount of time investment.

But good luck to you if you decide to do it.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Yes.

Well, no, but it's a big undertaking at your (our - I'm 58) age. You may find, as I did (I have a computing degree too) that you have underestimated the amount of time investment.

G.

That's probably true.

I'm kinda in the same situation. My degree has nothing to do with my work or music. I earned it after I got out of the military, got married and had kids and a full-time job.

Yeah, it would take up some time. So what? Don't cop out because of that. You're going to spend that time doing something anyway...probably something relatively insignificant. If it's something you really want to accomplish, then go for it. You're never too old. Dead is the only thing that's too late.

The big thing is that you're going to have to break habits. You're going to have to disrupt that comfortable little routine you have now (everybody our age has that little routine). You're going to have to rearrange your life and priorities a little. I think those changes are healthy. It keeps you from stagnating.

If you have an opportunity to do it, by all means, do it. I don't think you'll ever regret it.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

As long as you`re doing it for the right reasons (i.e., not because it`s gonna make you a star-even if that`s what happens) I`d say do it. I`d like to do somethinig similar but I`ve decided I`ll only go back to school for something directly useful for my job skills (that`s as specific as I`ve gotten about it so far).

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Well, once I got my masters in ME and then the company said they would foot the bill on a MBA I did that. After that I swore a university class room would NEVER SEE ME AGAIN!!! but...a Fine Arts degree in music sounds interesting!!! ok life is all about choises so here is another element to put into the mix! YOU could instead of going back and get the masters in music (usually used for teaching I would think) concentrate on GIGGIN!!! ya if you really went after it you could put together a group and go out and work and I bet that would be very rewarding for ya too! You could spend the time and money on excellant instructors that would essentially give you the tools you want to do what you want! I dunno...I just dont think I could look at the class work again..not in this life time!

Well, once I got my masters in ME and then the company said they would foot the bill on a MBA I did that. After that I swore a university class room would NEVER SEE ME AGAIN!!! but...a Fine Arts degree in music sounds interesting!!! ok life is all about choises so here is another element to put into the mix! YOU could instead of going back and get the masters in music (usually used for teaching I would think) concentrate on GIGGIN!!! ya if you really went after it you could put together a group and go out and work and I bet that would be very rewarding for ya too! You could spend the time and money on excellant instructors that would essentially give you the tools you want to do what you want! I dunno...I just dont think I could look at the class work again..not in this life time!

As Ann Landers used to say, "In four years you'll be four years older whether you've gotten the degree or not."

Go for it. No one says you have to complete it if it turns out to not be to your liking. Personally I'm working my way through a series of books on music theory.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

i kind of agree with ellwood on this one.

if you don't want a professional gig as a composer, arranger, or even performer: a music degree isn't worth the ink it's printed with.

the time and money invested should bring you a reward bigger than just satisfaction of doing it.

you could save a fortune, not to mention spend more time with your family, by taking private instruction and playing gigs.

i would recommend taking one of Berklee's online theory classes, then re-evaluate the situation. wet the toes before diving in, so to speak :wave:

Originally posted by FJ:

"...i would recommend taking one of Berklee's online theory classes, then re-evaluate the situation. wet the toes before diving in, so to speak" :wave:

That sounds like an excellent idea.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Originally posted by FJ:

"...i would recommend taking one of Berklee's online theory classes, then re-evaluate the situation. wet the toes before diving in, so to speak" :wave:

That sounds like an excellent idea.
Agreed. That is a good idea. Thanks!

Online courses and private lessons are fine, but nothing would compare to studying music with hundreds of other students around and a whole faculty to bounce ideas off of. Plus the oppurtunities to find jamming partners, and a built in audience would certainly be nice. If you have the time and money, I would say go for it. A career in music is always going to be somewhat based on luck, but having more skill and knowledge can't hurt.

Any grad degree is a genuine rite of passage, and usually just as painful. They do not give out MAs the way they do BAs. YOu really end up working your butt off for it, and they cost double or better what a BA costs per hour. But, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Go for it if you feel the need and have the means.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived