Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bluesape

I played through a 5150 stack at a deserted jam tonight. It was way too much amp for the room, but had a nice gain channel, and a bright clean channel. It seemed to have bad pots, and started humming loudly, even with the guitar unplugged, and the clean volume would drop out almost completely and come back without warning. This hum became so annoying that I cut my set short - the place was all but empty, so I could have played for another hour if desired. 5 songs were all I could take - I thought the damn thing was gonna blow something. I fully expected to be blown away by this legendary amp, and ended up hating it. I'm sure the problems were peculiar to this unit, but now I doubt if I would ever consider one again. It was creepin' me out, ironically, after midnight on Halloween.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine loves his 5150 and has used it to replace the vintage amps he used to drag out. He is a rockabilly lead player.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Those problems sound like maintenance matters, a lack of proper upkeep and care issues common enough to any neglected or abused tube-amp. Probably would shine after a thorough going-over by a good tech, especially with some new tubes...

I tend to care little for most Peavey amps (to put it kindly), but I thought the 5150's were cool amps, if a bit loud and powerful for most of the players who'd Jones for one!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm with Caevan here, as I hate most Peavy amps, but I have to agree that the 5150 is a pretty nice sounding amp, especially the gain channel. I wonder how versatile they are, though?
"I look for whatever will cut the deepest... whammy bars and wah wah pedals can't be used as just gimmicks. They have to reflect and express your feelings." - Jeff Beck

Originally posted by dave251:

While I was the Quality Assurance engineer at PV in the late 90's, we used the 5150 combo amps in the final setup/qa booths

They were always breaking down.

To be fair, they WERE on 8/10 hours a day. We had 8 booths, and I believe there were six with the 5150's. ONe was always down.

Yeah, that was my take on it - nice design, questionable reliability.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by dave251:

While I was the Quality Assurance engineer at PV in the late 90's, we used the 5150 combo amps in the final setup/qa booths

They were always breaking down.

To be fair, they WERE on 8/10 hours a day. We had 8 booths, and I believe there were six with the 5150's. ONe was always down.

Hmmn, interesting; I guess I ran across good specimens; a 60-watt, closed-back 2x12 combo version a friend had a few years ago consistently sounded and played great! He was aparently lucky, huh? And some folks probably weren't...

I had the combo and thought it was a cool amp

but man that thing was bitch to move around,and

it sure wasn't pedal friendly.Best way to use this

amp was straight in to the amp balls out cranked.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Darklava:

I had the combo and thought it was a cool amp

but man that thing was bitch to move around,and

it sure wasn't pedal friendly.Best way to use this

amp was straight in to the amp balls out cranked.

Yeah, I'm with you there!

Archived