Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone Amps

LPCustom

Anyone here had any recent (in the last year) with the Epiphone 15 or 25 watt Galaxie amps?

I was up at the clubhouse for our subdivision today talking to a couple of the guys that I sometimes play with on 4th of July about doing a show New Years Eve. One of the guys said he was looking at buying one of the Epiphone 25 watt Galaxie tube amps and asked me what I thought of them. I had to claim ignorance. I didn't even know they made them.

Does anyone here know anything about them? How do they sound? Are they decent amps? Any problems?

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading up on these amps on the Epiphone forums and harmony-central. The 25 watt one is an AB unit that apparently comes biased like crap. Some are good and some are crap. But they usually sound good once they are biased properly. The poorly biased ones hum like crazy.

The 10 watt ones sound harsh, but they have a gain control whereas the 25 watt one doesn't. The 25 watt ones have a reverb that apparently is overpowered and is practically useless cranked over about 4.

The 10 watt ones are on MF for $129. That sounds like a pretty good deal for a class A tube amp.

From what I've read, the harshness of the 10 watt amp can be overcome by a tube swap using different tubes (a JAN GE 5751 for the preamp and a SED/Svetlana 6L6GC for the power amp). It comes with Sovtek a 12AX7 for the preamp and a Sovtek 6L6 in the power amp. The tubes (with shipping) from dougstubes.com are only about $42 US.

The driver is a Celestion Tube 10 which I'm told has a great sound. It could be replaced with the G10 Vintage for a little more punch. But that's about $85.

Even spending the money for new tubes, the amp sounds like a great deal. I'm not much for opening up the amp section. But I think I need to start. I think I'm missing a lot, there.

After reading all of this, I think I'm AASing for one, now. Damn, I'm just too suggestable... :D

It would be interesting to hear Myles chime in here before I go do something dumb. ;)

Born on the Bayou

Musician's Friend just raised their prices on the Epiphone Tube 10 and 25 by $20 and $30 respectively to $149 and $279. As far as I can tell, no Internet outlet except MF carries them, now.

Music123 seems to have dropped them. They only have one of the 25s listed (a blem) for $314.

With no price competition, the good prices on these amps are going away.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Ricochet:

Those things were discontinued over 6 months ago. MF has been selling off remaining stock.

Oh, no wonder nobody else has them. :rolleyes:

I only just heard about them the other day. I was wondering why MF only had the blue ones of the Galaxie 10... :freak:

Thanks, Ricochet. :D

Born on the Bayou

I played the Valve Junior... the one with just a volume knob. It was the 5 watt. Sounded much better than the Galaxie to my ears. Before you make the purchase, head to a Guitar Center. If Myles can fix my Peavey Classic 30, I might use that as my heavy gig amp and the Valve Junior as my practice amp... sadly selling my Crate

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

I played the Valve Junior... the one with just a volume knob. It was the 5 watt. Sounded much better than the Galaxie to my ears. Before you make the purchase, head to a Guitar Center. If Myles can fix my Peavey Classic 30, I might use that as my heavy gig amp and the Valve Junior as my practice amp... sadly selling my Crate

I've read several posting by others who also said they preferred the sound of the Valve Junior to the Galaxie. That might be why they were discontinued (just a guess).

I already have a Fender Blues Junior but that's a _loud_ 15 watts. I'm looking for something that I can crank open and not be too loud.

I have a Doctor Z Mini Z which is also 5 watts. It sounds great but I'm looking for something which will give me a better clean tone at volume. The Mini Z introduces a growl even at about 4 that I don't always want.

How would you characterize the tone of that 8 inch driver in the Valve Junior, Mike? Is it punchy or brittle? Is there any bottom to it?

Born on the Bayou

I didn't really crank it to get full characteristics. GET THIS!! I had JUST been scolded and asked to turn down the volume of the 8 watt Crate Palomino in GUITAR CENTER! Some putz employee comes over to me with phone in hand and says, "I can barely hear the phone, can you turn down?"!!!!! WHAT? Has he ever been in the store on a frickin' weekend?!!!

Stairway, DENIED!

Anyway, the amp really showed promise. But I couldn't turn it up, ya know?... I'd say it was showing me more bluesy character than the Palomino 8 watt Crate. I'd bet on limited bottom end, if cranked (8 inch speaker), but thin isn't what came to mind when hearing it. Not at all.

The Crate was thinner and had more of a brittle sound. That WILL be my practice amp if the Peavey is healed at the Church Of Myles Rose next Friday.

I look forward to cranking one at home. $119?! That's a no-brainer. I just remember being under-whelmed on the Galaxie. Those were out at the time I bought my Crate V1512, Class A.

I wasn't OVER-whelmed by the Valve Junior, but I liked what I've heared so far. To tell the truth, I was just plugging in to hear and play a used HH Agile there. Played nicely. I liked PUP positions 1 and 2 very much. Bridge PUP needed more output and umph though.

Mikegug

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

The Crate was thinner and had more of a brittle sound. That WILL be my practice amp if the Peavey is healed at the Church Of Myles Rose next Friday.

The Valve Junior will be my amp, not the Palomino... Don't want to misspeak...

Mikegug

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Would a good attenuator be an equitable soultion? I would think that your Blues Junior will sound better attenuated to a lower volume than the Valve Junior. Same for the Mini Z, no?

I bought the Z Air Brake along with the Mini Z.

I love the sound of the Blues Junior. But to get that extra tasty tubey tone out of it, it has to be pretty loud. I just don't care for the sound it makes when I'm using the Air Brake. Maybe it's just that the speaker isn't getting enough power to sound right. If I let much more through, though, it's too loud.

The Mini Z is too quiet when it's clean(ish) and adding volume just makes it growl more. The Air Brake can tone down the volume, but not the growl.

The Epiphone is only $120. If I don't like it, I can send it back. It's also cheap enough that I won't have a problem modding it if I decide to switch tubes or do some circuit mods.

There's no way I'm going to mod the $400 Blues Junior.

Born on the Bayou

Archived