Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yard sale LesPaul

Bluesape

A drummer I know owns a small restaurant/bar in Etobicoke, in Toronto's lower west side. I played a solo gig there last night. He told me a while back his band was on tour in the south and ran across a yard sale. The elderly widow had her husband's "stupid old guitar" for sale - a mint '57 Les Paul in the case. The guitarist asked how much - she said 50.00. He nearly tore his jeans geting the cash out, and was in tears in the car for a while over his good fortune.

I know we hear these stories all the time, and wonder if they can be true. I've not seen this instrument, but I've known the drummer a few years, and don't doubt him. LP Custom also just had a very fortunate find in a Les Paul Studio. I hate yard sales with a passion, but I can see myself stopping more often after hearing about these two deals.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my find was pretty fortunate, but his was absolutely fantastic. :eek:

After getting mine into playable condition, I had over $500 in mine. Hardly a steal especially when it's still pretty beat up. Still, I'm happy with it. I got a great playing Les Paul out of it and I got to fix one up the way I wanted without worrying about screwing it up. It was already screwed up. :D

Like Kevin says, I always look for guitar shaped (and amp shaped) objects when I pass yard/garage sales, now. You never [know] when lady luck might smile [on] you.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I know we hear these stories all the time, and wonder if they can be true.

Well, people only bother to retell these stories because they are so very unusual.

I'd say that a good 99.9% of beat up guitars you find in yard sales are shit anyway. Just like the guy tells you. Otherwise, there's be no point to the stories. :)

One of my best friends has been a guitar tech for years in Nashville ... has worked for many of the biggest names (which I won't drop here). The other day I asked him the garage sale/yard sale/closet classic question ... 'whats the best guitar you ever came across'.

I don't remember precicely the instrument he named (early Firebird, maybe ... not important to the story) but an old woman had it, had no idea how much it was worth ... top condition. Said she thought her son had paid a few hundred for it.

She would have taken $500. He sat her down and told her it was worth much more than that. He paid her $4000. She needed and deserved the money.

It later proved to be worth even more than that, but he has a clear conscience. That's why he's one of my best friends. Not many people would do that.

I know a guy, (I was there when he did it), who saw a guitar at yard sale and bargained the price down from $2.00 to $1.00. I walked right by it, and probably would again. It was a mint condiditon Vivitone.

He sold it for a few thousand.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Archived