Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

does it ruin it for you?

Guitarzan

i don't mean i don't appreciate the song anymore.

i mean once i know the song i no longer hear the song as a whole, i "see the parts".

the same thing happens when i record, i see the construction and have a hard time hearing the whole thing.

besides i am wierd. :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my basic point, Picker.

I can turn the analytical-tear-apart-a-song-into-its'-individual-parts side of me off to enjoy listening to a song as a whole.

It's an absolutely necessary skill to learn if you mix songs, whether recorded or live. You must be able to isolate sounds and be able to take stock of the big picture at various times.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah, sometimes I even like a song better after I hve studied it's component parts. If I have to spend a lot of time listening to a song over and over again, I get worn out with it and don't want to hear it again for a while. But usually, after enough time passes, I can enjoy it again. one exception; The first song I ever learned waI worked on "House of the Rising Sun" for months before I had it down, and palyed it to pieces afterwards. To this day, I change stations when it comes onthe radio. I don't even want to hear the song again.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I don't get bored of them after learning them; though I suppose I don't really master them when I "learn" a song. Usually just a piece of the main riff or the most unique part of it. Can't ever focus on learning a song for longer than a day or two :\ At least I know 30 secs of "Classical Gas" and 30 seconds of "Little Wing" :'(

It ruins it for me because in most cases my lack of skill doesn't allow me to even approach the playing on the CD. Working on it though. I refuse to give up on it this time.

Got the tab book for Danny Gatton's "88 Elmira Street". Immediately mastered the (very simple) opening riff to "Funky Mama". The rest of the album is daunting to say the least.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

did you ever notice that when you learn a song by an artist that it sort of takes the magic away abit when you listen to the original?

No, not at all. I love hearing it and figuring out how he played it. I appreciate the ingenuity that went into originating it. Often the simplest stuff is the best.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

i get what you are saying. i do hear all the parts as well as my part. and i usually try to learn what the other instruments are doing. i understand why things work and learning songs are great for developing ideas. i sometimes play things my way as opposed to the way others do. i will try several positions in fingering chords and notes.

i just find that sometimes it makes me look at the song in a more critic like way. like..."cool, how that works out" as apposed to just being a listener.

somethings are magical because of the player's feel and attitude.

i still enjoy listening to good music.

but i still think alot about why stuff works and it sometimes can affect my listening for pleasure.

It doesn't ruin it for me, since usually I learn the basic chords and then immediately start doing it my way. Which is both good bad.... there's a lot to be learned in terms of craftsmanship by learning parts as exactly as you can.

Do I hear it the same way after learning it? Depends on the tune!

If I'm trying to learn a Bach piece or something, I strive to play it the way it's written. Seems like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa otherwise. And it definitely doesn't ruin Bach for me - since we're dealing with genius here! Or learning parts of great solos (mostly jazz), ditto. Not that I would copy that guys' solo on stage, most likely.

There have been songs I played in bands that I got sick of, especially if the band never quite gets it right! Worse than hating a song, I think, is being bored and just sleepwalking through it.

As far as hearing just the parts, yes, that can happen. We sometimes forget that the song has words and a melody... it's not just a chord progression and a few intro licks!

Archived