Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The New Complete Guitarist

Craiger7

It's a book written by Richard Chapman....and I got it for my birthday today. Looks like it has tons of great information in it: like the history of the guitar, just about every type imagineable, and the styles of music for which they're played. Then it gets into basic stuff and moves on into theory....only to finish everything off with effects, amps and such. To me, being very new to the guitar world, this book looks like it's packed with great stuff. I plan to learn as much as I can from it....paired with what I learn from my instructor, of course.

I got a nice guitar strap for my new Ibanez, too. So far, a pretty good day. :cool:

Experienced drummer (playing since 1980), newbie guitarist with an Ibanez Jet King II (no effects yet) and an old Alamo tube amp.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SPAMblasted? Really? I'm sorry if I crossed the line....just thought it was a really cool book and wanted to see if anybody else had it....or knew of it. Very well laid out.
Experienced drummer (playing since 1980), newbie guitarist with an Ibanez Jet King II (no effects yet) and an old Alamo tube amp.

Originally posted by Caputo:

Sounds Pretty Cool, I'll have to keep that one in mind

I hope you don't get SPAMblasted for this one

Doesn't look like Craiger is selling the book or making money one it, so I wouldn't classify it as spam.

Read a lot, learn a lot. Guitars have so much to offer. Good on you Craiger. :thu:

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Bbach of Bismarck:

Doesn't look like Craiger is selling the book or making money on it...

That's for sure. I only WISH I were able to capitolize on royalties from something like this.

Read a lot, learn a lot. Guitars have so much to offer. Good on you Craiger.
I'm a study freak. I took violin lessons for 10 months before finally switching to guitar. I had size issues. Being 6'3" and 235 lbs may have had something to do with it. But in the time I took lessons, I read as much as I could. Sometimes I think I want to learn more than I'm actually capable of doing at the time, but it keeps me motivated. I try anyway. I will complete my first lesson book (by Hal Leonard) next week....and I just started 10 weeks ago so I'm encouraged.

On a side note, I want to say that I really appreciate the maturity level of this forum. I've been to a couple different guitar forums and have yet to find one as captivating as this one. I may not understand 90% of what's discussed, but I will in time. I plan to learn almost as much from you guys as I do my instructor and from what I read. After all, experience, in my book, trumps theory any day.

Happy Birthday to Craiger and Vince!

That's a great book and a good recommendation, Craiger. I got that for my birthday a couple of years ago.

It's on the basic side but I think the book was well done. The pacing seems a little bit off in places (sometimes they dig really deep after just introducing a concept). Overall, though, I think it's a good book for beginner and some intermediate players.

Even though I've been playing for 35 years, I usually go through even beginner books. You never know when you might find something you didn't know.

The foreword was the only I've ever read by Les Paul.

Born on the Bayou

Craig, I wasn't insinuating you were spamming; it's just that I've developed a complex about it concerning certain posts by other members, that's all

Oh, and happy Birthday guys. It's such a blessing to be alive, sober, and playing another year, isn't it?

No problem, Caputo. I'm good.

And thanks guys for the birthday wishes. The trees are gorgeous, the sun is shining, there's music on the radio, I've got a beautiful wife and twin daughters, I'm breathing and mostly healthy.....yeah, I'd say life is good.

LPC,

Where did you see the foreward by Les Paul? I can't seem to find it. Mine is the Revised American Edition, 2003...so perhaps the foreward was in the original text?

Craig, I wasn't insinuating you were spamming; it's just that I've developed a complex about it concerning certain posts by other members, that's all

Well, I think the acid test for spammers is the number of posts they have.

If somebody's been hanging around for a while and says "I just bought this amazing gadget..." I think people will take the thread on its merits. It's a perfectly normal thing to bring up.

And it's very different to some guy that on his first few posts comes out of his corner raving on about some product and including pricing and distribution details. THAT sounds like spam to me.

Oh, and happy Birthday guys. It's such a blessing to be alive, sober, and playing another year, isn't it?

Thank you! And yup! It's pretty good so far! :):thu:

Thanks! You know, I thought getting older meant that you had to act a certain way....at least that's the way it seemed many of the old geezers....I mean older guys ;) .....acted when I was 20 years old. I still feel like I'm 20 (well, some of the time anyway)....and most everybody that knows me still thinks I act 20 years old. :D The scary part is that I'm encroaching on "old geezer" territory....in the eyes of a 20 year old. I've now got kids the age of my twins playing in my band. That's quite a wake-up call.

Getting up this morning, being only 4 years away from 40, I thought there'd be something a little different about me. I haven't discovered any new growths, loss of hearing....or sight for that matter. Everything seems to be about the same as yesterday.

Funny thing.....two days ago, when I was still 35, I could barely get out of bed without wincing in pain from a very hard day's work the day before....but not this morning. I've felt pretty good since my wife kicked my butt out of bed from hitting the snooze button a few too many times. :bor: 36 feels pretty good so far. :thu:

Originally posted by Craiger7:

LPC,

Where did you see the foreward by Les Paul? I can't seem to find it. Mine is the Revised American Edition, 2003...so perhaps the foreward was in the original text?

I just realized that mine is "The Complete Guitarist" instead of "The New Complete Guitarist". Same author. Says it was published in 1993. Mine's also hardbound (I think the new one is paperback). So yours might not have it.

Oh, and the foreword is on page 6 in mine.

Born on the Bayou

Thanks LPC. Mine has an introduction that's 2 pages long from the author himself on page 6 and has copyrights of 1993 and 2003. And while the new one is paperback (at least the one I have), the binding is done very well.

Other than the missing foreward, I'm thinking they're likely the same text with the new one having a few new features (like an extension on digital recording.....something I'm going to get some use out of).

Thanks....

If we are in the market for a good guitar instruction book, several years ago I was seriously impressed by the book that accompanied PlayPro software's guitar instruction software. They sent it to me for a review, and I never did the review, but my neighbor who doesn't play but wnats to, borrowed the book, and i haven't seen it since.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Hey Vince....don't ya mean "booked up"? :D

Thank you for the happy birthday wishes Mr. Geezer :D and bluesape. :thu:

Archived