Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

62 Fender Brown Pro Amp Done - Pictures

Dr. Ellwood

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/proresize3.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/proresize1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/proresize2.jpg

Amplifier rebuilt to original factory specs by Mr. Bruce Egnater

Cabinet by Ampwares

Speaker by Jensen

Power Tubes by Groove Tubes 2 GT 6L6-S

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You sure do have some nice stuff. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/685.gif

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

We wanna hear it next!

'Till then, describe how it sounds 'n' feels to us...

Ok, well lets see here... the speaker is brand new so its going to take a few hours of playing to get it loosened up they say but.. It sounds very tweedy to me. At lower levels it is very very clean to about 5 or 6 on the volume control, then from 6 to 10 there is a gradual break up starting and at wide open it has tons of grit and sort of a singing sustain oh the high end. The presence control on the vibrato channel is VERY active and works to scoop out the mids if you want it too. It is amazing how much you don't need reverb on this amp, the cabinet sort of adds its own coloring warmth but standing in front of that 15 you can feel it pushing a lot of air. It is just plain LOUD! but very sensitive to the pick and it does funky tones so well. I'm still working with it but after a couple of hours with it last night I'm ready to use it with the Blues project that I'm doing. While I was waiting for the cabinet I kept asking Caevan if it would be loud enough to get through the mix with a keyboard player and the answer is HELL YA!! thanks for all the comments and complements it was been a fun experience redoing this old lady and she's ready to bluezz and rock now!

I've got a Princeton that was made in '61. Pretty much the same experience as Ellwood had, but the Princeton breaks up at around 4 on the volume dial with a pair of Ruby 6V6-GT tubes with a Strat, and at about 3 with humbuckers. With the Invader in my Del Rey, it starts to break up at 2. :D

Where did you get your speaker, Ellwood?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Blue Strat:

I've got a Princeton that was made in '61. Pretty much the same experience as Ellwood had, but the Princeton breaks up at around 4 on the volume dial with a pair of Ruby 6V6-GT tubes with a Strat, and at about 3 with humbuckers. With the Invader in my Del Rey, it starts to break up at 2. :D

Where did you get your speaker, Ellwood?

I got it from Jensen directly: hay and those old Princetons are very cool indeed!

Originally posted by KPB:

Lee,

If I ever visited your place, you'd never get rid of me. You have some nice toys.

KPB,well ya know how sometimes they say "tonight you sleep with the fishes" in your case it would have to be "tonight you sleep with the axes" yes I have a very comfortable room that is petty much sound proof! all by itself at the extreme end of the house where we rehearse. It even has its own fire place (see the avitar) THAT is where you would be caged up with all the toys!! I could just shovel in fast food and beers under the door and you could go into sonic disconnection for as long as you wanted :D:thu::cool:

Originally posted by Darklava:

No chit man that is a nice amp....how much?

Lava, not selling this one! I spent another couple of hours with it again tonight took it back in the rehersal room and went nuts on it! now I know Im not ever gonna sell that one., Tomorrow night is the blues project band rehersal..the HumpDawg Blues Band... and its gonna get its speaker broke in big time. Now im wonderin if I should have them make me up a matching extension cabinet with another 15 brown in it! and make a little fender mini stack. Then Im gonna start looking for a vintage twin.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

So the Ampwares saga wasn't bad, good things come to those that wait.

Well Gruupi ya it did come out ok in the end but what a horriable experience because of the lack of communication and frustration. I would never use them again. I even cancelled the money for them on the credit card the day before it arrived here. I of coarse will pay them. Since then I have heard of other bad experiences with people dealing with them ..just do a search on their name and you will see some. The next cabinet work I have done will be with JD Newell in Georgia! I cant say enough great things about the work Bruce Egnater did on the amplifier circut work, and what a great and sharp guy he is!

That's a great looking amp, Lee. If it sounds half as good as it looks then that's one sweet sounding box.

Did you use a Jensen Vintage? Or was it one of the newer designs?

That thing's got to have a great bottom end with that 15 inch speaker in there. (It's a 15 inch one, right?) That's really top drawer.

The logo will be the finishing touch. That's something to be really proud of. I hope it gives long and trouble free service for you. :thu:

Born on the Bayou

Hay thanks LP..ya its a keeper for sure!yes thats a vintage replica speaker from Jensen Ive got about four hours of playing on it now ..some of it pretty hard and it is starting to push more and more air! gettin a little looser and even more brown tone all the time..but right out of the box it is super responsive at all frequencies. The bottom end is amazing yes and I did expect that because of the 15 but what I was suprised at was the great treble response! when I compare to my vintage SuperReverb it is AS clean and clear at any point. The break up point is easy to dial in and untill it is wide open it can be counted on to increase sustain with out getting nasty. I will run it very high at rehersal tomorrow night so that will be about three and a half hours of hard use and Im expecting great things out of it ... one thing I never do with any of my amps is baby them ..it will stand and face the blues tomorrow!! thanks again for the kind words ..I am proud of the old lady. I got the amp as a cut down head in about 1969 as payment for making a guy some PA speaker cabinets and it has been a closet queen every since..now an new lease on life for her.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Darklava:

No chit man that is a nice amp....how much?

Lava, not selling this one! I spent another couple of hours with it again tonight took it back in the rehersal room and went nuts on it! now I know Im not ever gonna sell that one., Tomorrow night is the blues project band rehersal..the HumpDawg Blues Band... and its gonna get its speaker broke in big time. Now im wonderin if I should have them make me up a matching extension cabinet with another 15 brown in it! and make a little fender mini stack. Then Im gonna start looking for a vintage twin.
How vintage twin? I have a '72.

Archived