Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My stolen guitars

LPCustom

I've been talking to Bluesape in the background about this but I thought some of the others here would like to know, too.

A friend of mine who works for the GBI has been working the theft of my guitars (a Gibson ES-335 and a Fender USA Telecaster) in his "spare" time. And he has managed to crack the case open.

He figured out who was behind the theft and has made an arrest. He also found my guitars along with about 20 others. Some had been reported stolen as long ago as 1995. He is working with the local PDs on resolving those cases.

From fingerprint evidence and witness testimony he determined that another person is involved. That person has been identified and they are looking for him.

I should have my guitars back by the end of this week. I got to see them last week when I had to identify them. They are in good shape and just need to be cleaned.

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Congratulations! That HAS to be a wonderful feeling.

...and I think you should write down the story and sell it to a motion picture studio!

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Great news! :D

I'm puzzled by this bit though...

Originally posted by LPCustom:

He figured out who was behind the theft and has made an arrest. He also found my guitars along with about 20 others.

Where did your friend find all the guitars? Did the thief keep the guitars for himself, or did name the people to whom he'd sold them? From your post it sounds as if they were all there in the same room?

It's always refreshing to hear when the proper role of law enforcement is applied when it is restricted to ONLY justice involving life, liberty, or property violations.

Congratulations, LP. I'm intrigued in the same way when I watch those profiling or medical detective shows on Court TV.

I wonder the steps they took and How they did it

--Geoff J

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Where did your friend find all the guitars? Did the thief keep the guitars for himself, or did name the people to whom he'd sold them? From your post it sounds as if they were all there in the same room?

He found them when he executed a search warrant at the home of the prime suspect. They were all in one room. Apparently the same person was behind the thefts of all of them.

The guy seems to have been stealing them just to have them. He doesn't know how to play any musical instruments. And he certainly doesn't need the money. He's relatively wealthy.

From what I've been told, he hasn't sold any that he stole.

Born on the Bayou

Great news, LP. That has to be a great feeling to know you're getting them back.

Our church was broken into years ago and about $20,000 worth of equipment was ripped off including my best friend's guitars. The ironic part of the story is that Randy found one of his guitars in a local pawn shop, traced it back to one of the thieves, and gave the information to the PD. Unfortunately, they didn't have the same enthusiasm in catching the thugs as Randy and nothing ever came of it. His guitar got confiscated, though....and he never saw it again.

Experienced drummer (playing since 1980), newbie guitarist with an Ibanez Jet King II (no effects yet) and an old Alamo tube amp.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Awww thats just GREAT man!! hay you didnt happen to see an old vintage Gretch RocJet did ya? a black one with the Bigsby tail. :D

I haven't seen most of the guitars. The only ones I saw were the Gibsons and Fenders (about a dozen). I had to pick mine out of those two groups.

All of these were reported stolen from around the Atlanta area. They are contacting the original owners.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by FJ:

that is freaking amazing!! count yourself trully lucky for that happy ending. most of us that have suffered theft never see them again...

congratulations :freak:

Exactly my thoughts! Wahoo!!!!

If only the San Antonio Police had been so persevering

:rolleyes:

Lynn G

LPC', that's great!

Say, maybe there's an old Peavey T-15 in that bunch, too? ;)

(I once sold one such axe- and a Peavey amp and a wicked cool b!+c4!n' awesome op-amp model Big Muff Pi- to this poor guy who's apartment later got burglarized. He lost everything (TV, stereo, food in the fridge, everything) EXCEPT that heavier-than-Hell Solid-State 2x12 Peavey Deuce amp, it had been dragged towards the window, but left... Were the thieves tube-snobs?)

Originally posted by Craiger7:

"...Randy found one of his guitars in a local pawn shop, traced it back to one of the thieves, and gave the information to the PD.

Unfortunately, they(the police) didn't have the same enthusiasm in catching the thugs as Randy and nothing ever came of it. His guitar got confiscated, though....and he never saw it again."

WHAT is up with that?!?

Confiscated? By whom?

"HE NEVER SAW IT AGAIN"??!!??

I'd raise one Hell of a big ruckus over all of the above, and I'd see to it that said guitar was DEFINITELY seen again; this reeks of major bull$4!+; their $4!+ is weak!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

very cool lp, glad to hear you had something done about it. I keep meaning to write down my serial numbers but it always slips my mind.

Do It

Right Now

Do not Pass Go....etc

and take some digital photos if you can

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/geezer123/stolenflyer.jpg

Lynn G

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Confiscated? By whom?

"HE NEVER SAW IT AGAIN"??!!??

I'd raise one H**l of a big ruckus over all of the above, and I'd see to it that said guitar was DEFINITELY seen again; this reeks of major bull$4!+; their $4!+ is weak!

Yeah, we were not happy at all....and Randy did what he could 'til he was told nothing was going to be done about it (provided serial numbers that matched, followed up consistently, contacted insurance company, the works)....and it was confiscated by the PD in which the pawn shop was located (not the same jurisdiction in which the crime occured). We have no idea what happened to it after that. Insurance covered the loss and he bought another guitar....but it never played like the one he had....and has still yet to find another that he has liked so well. To be honest, that whole situation caused me to lose some faith in the ability of the local authorities to communicate and follow through with action. We live in an extremely rural area....not that it matters, but investigation didn't seem to be at the top of their list of priorities.
Experienced drummer (playing since 1980), newbie guitarist with an Ibanez Jet King II (no effects yet) and an old Alamo tube amp.

Cragier7-

Like, good morning. Coffee?

It matters. If you`re paying taxes to support these guys they should be doing their best for you.

LP-

That is super, dude. Couldn`t be happier for you.

But note that you needed a friend on the inside to keep the heat up on this. Word to the wise folks. Your PD may have some bad elements but if you have a chance to connect with someone in the field, do it-you never know when you may need them.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Good morning, skipclone....and I've had several cups of coffee. Thanks! :)

You know....we expected so much more. I think the fact that we were young played quite a roll in the whole situation....pursuance on both sides.

Man that`s sad to hear. The guys who let you down should know how sad it is to hear that. They should know how hollow that makes all the patriotic rhetoric floating around sound.

In writing. With copies to the local newspaper.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Darklava:

Cool..you still gettin a new one? :D

I don't know. I'd like to have another ES-335. I already have two Telecasters.

I also have the Oscar-Schmidt OE-30 and an Epiphone Dot 335. The Oscar Schmidt is rather hot compared to the sound of my 335. And the Epiphone is a little muddy in comparison to the 335. Neither sounds very close to it.

I am also thinking about returning the Epi Dot 335 and ordering an Elitist 335. I played one over the weekend and I can't tell the difference between it and my Gibson ES-335.

I could get by without another one. But I sure would like to have another ES-335. I've been watching eBay for a late 70s or early 80s model. If I can get a good deal I might just snag another one.

Born on the Bayou

Cragier7-

It matters. If you`re paying taxes to support these guys they should be doing their best for you.

It is well established that the police and government have no duty to protect people.

firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

District Court of D.C. stated that it is a "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981).

I have friends who are cops and Sheriff's, and they have a sense of duty, but know that there is no actual tangible duty

Think about it

If you hire a Security company to watch your buldings btween 12a.m an 8.am, and this is put in writing, then that contract is admissible as court evidence that a duty exists.

If your place gets broken into between those hours, then there is proof that you have been damaged as a result of the duty breach?

How do we know a duty existed?

---The contract

No such duty is put in writing or in contract or codified anywhere in your local, state, and/or federal statutes

No contract, no case

If your car gets broken into, can you sue the cops for not protecting your car?

Why Not?

How come the families who tried to sue the GOV during 911, could not sue?

They could only sue the airlines.

Why?

Because your airline ticket is a contract that you will have a safe flight from point A to point B

The plane hijackings coupled w/ the tickets constituted proof that a duty existed, that there was a breach, and that damages resulted from that breach

That's why they went after the airlines

My apologies if this has shaken the bushes, but should you disagree; your argument is with the courts on this issue, not me

That is all true, -BUT- what about the confiscation of property known and provable to have been stolen, and failure to return it?

Sounds like theft to me!

Lame, lazy, CROOKED $4!++y cops in this case.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

We concluded that it was either taken home by someone in the department, hocked, or possibly given as a gift. Not proven, mind you....just perceived.

Sorry LP. Didn't mean to sway your topic.

VERY COOL! Excellent! I saw the topic and was all ready to feel sad and have to give condolences, and instead it's great news!

Just to make an obvious point (haven't read all the other replies yet so maybe someone else also mentioned this) or two...

You all can do what you want, but because I know how I would feel if I lost a guitar or favorite amp (and in the end...aren't they ALL favorites?) I made some rules for myself when I buy used equipment...

#1, I check as well as I can, Google (I'm in Norway, so most likely US databases over stolen music equipment wouldn't be showing up here...but if someone could post the known databases over stolen stuff that's great!) the equipment and know of at least one DB here for stolen stuff. I check if anyone has posted about that equipment.

I also demand (and this is important too for your own protection) that IF I buy something, the seller sign a receipt over to me. If they do not have the original receipt I ask them why they don't. You might even tell them you have to go down in price (to teach them to keep receipts) if they don't have a receipt.

I check the serial number (good idea, when talking to the person ASK them for the number, Google it)

The receipt should include the serial number, date, price paid.

It'll never happen completely but if many of us did those two steps, the market for stolen goods might dry up or you might help someone recover their equipment.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

It is well established that the police and government have no duty to protect people.

firearmsandliberty.com/kasler-protection.html

I don't know if I buy that argument, but I do know the reality of it is, they cannot protect you in most cases. They can (if diligent) make a report after, but even when more important than property, when life is at stake by for one example, a stalker, they are powerless in many ways. They have to wait until "it develops".

The best thing (in my opinion), if you get something stolen...first you should NOW (as one other said here) at the VERY LEAST have an excel spreadsheet OR a piece of paper with the equipment you have, the serial numbers of them and where the serial number is found on the item, basically make it as easy as possible for some law enforcement person to check it out. That is the least, better yet is with images.

And then, you add the stolen equipment in the stolen databases (and IF you get it recovered, for gods sake remember to finish the job and report it recovered...you could end up spending a night in jail after a job if it stays in the DB) make flyers for your neighborhood, and definitely hit ALL music stores, and pawnshops withing a reasonable radius (depending on where you live, how likely the thief travelled more than 30 miles?) letting them know.

And then also use your head. The above tips wouldn't have helped in THIS case, but are a good idea in most cases.

Also google for the equipment, check Ebay, keep an electronic eye out for it. I think most music equipment theives do try to sell..

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Archived