Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

7ths or 9ths

Bluesape

Originally posted by A String of Entrails:

The chord that was used on The Allman Bros. version of Stormy Monday has always had me perplexed. It has a suspended 4th in it... I could never figure out the name of it. Here is how I play it...

(Key of A)

--X

What the heck chord is this?

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...Sorry for the hijack.

Are you sure that is it? If that's a guitar chord, in standard tuning, and the top line is the 6th string, then it's clear it's a C augmented chord. If the bass plays an A, then it's an A minor w/ a major 7th. If the top line is the 2nd string, it's C minor but can be thought of as being F9, without the 7th or the root.

I'm not sure I've ever heard their version, would you please e-mail it to me, if you can? PM me. If you can't or don't want, I'll understand.

I don't remember well but I thought the first chord in that song was a dominant bVI, so if the key is A, that first chord should be F7, if the key is G, the first chord should be an Eb7. I don't have the recording on my computer and have no idea where my T-Bone CD is, and can't really recall its sound in my head, so I don't know if I'm talking major BS or not. Can someone confirm if I'm being a BS-talker right now?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. I don't know why the top X didn't show up...Here it is again:

(EDIT: I transposed it. I didn't have the guitar in my hand when I wrote it down so I had the chord on the wrong fret. This should be right now.)

--X

--X

The chord is located:

A,D9,A,A#,A

D9,A,Bm,C#m,C,E9,(Right Here),A,D9,A,EAug

I'd send you a copy, but I no longer have it. I learned it this way from the record which is now long gone.

The tune by the Allman's is in the Key of G

But we will look at it in this key

I believe that missing chord would be an F9,

I don't believe you got that voicing right, but if you did, then it coan still be justified

The chord you listed is a Cmi triad w/ a doubled 5th w/the 5th as the melody note(considering C being the rrot)

The thing is, it could still work because there is a relationship between C minor and F7

just make sure the bassman plays an F chould you decide to voice that chord

I just missed your post. Here is my reply with the edit:

(EDIT: I transposed it. I didn't have the guitar in my hand when I wrote it down so I had the chord on the wrong fret. This should be right now.)

--X

--X

The chord is located:

A,D9,A,A#,A

I'd send you a copy, but I no longer have it. I learned it this way from the record which is now long gone.

Okay, let's call the note, "F" the "one" or the "root" or the 1st" for right now and disregard the key of A.

Assign the number 1 to F and then proceed concurrently in numerical order from 1, and in alphabetical order from F, until G is reached and then resume from the note A until F is reached again.

F -G-A-B-C-D-E-F

1- 2-3- 4-5-6-7-8

The Note names for your chord:

--X

--10(A)

--7 (D)

--7 (A)

--8 (F)

--X

The , first 2 notes are F and A, which makes it a Major 3rd interval, thus making the quality a major tonality (If it was F to Ab, then it would be a minor 3rd)

The next 2 are the notes D & A

The A is merely a doubled 3rd, but the note "D" is an iterval of a 6th

This makes it an F6 chord

I just missed your post. Here is my reply with the edit:

--X

--X

The chord is located:

A,D9,A,A#,A

hmm, you just changed voicings on us! :D That's fine, if you play the first voicing and quickly move to the next withing the same bar (or half-bar, whatever it is), the basic harmony is UNCHANGED. It may still be a dominant F, the first implying F9, the second implying F13. The actual notes of the second post make up a d minor triad in first inversion.

SHIT! I just read your edit note. Yup, it's d minor, first inversion (Dm/F), going to I. It IS common, and a it's a beautiful sound, to have a iv chord before the I in a Major key. It's even prettier if you play it iv7. I MAY BE MISTAKEN, I'D NEED TO HEAR IT AND LISTEN TO THE BASS, ETC.

Caputo, yeah, I thought I remembered the T-Bone original as being in G. Is the first chord in the intro and Eb7? By the way I posted this originally, it seems, atthe same time you posted your last reply.

Does anyone have a copy of said song?

My MySpace Space

The chord that was used on The Allman Bros. version of Stormy Monday has always had me perplexed. It has a suspended 4th in it... I could never figure out the name of it. Here is how I play it...

(Key of A)

--X

What the heck chord is this?

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...Sorry for the hijack.

I haven't read the whole thread..has someone answered this?

You're talking about the last chord in the prgression..the turnaround. It's an E augmented. An E chord with a #5, commonly used in Blues as a replacement for the V chord in the turnaround. Listen to "Oh, Darling" by the Beatles. It's the firsat chord in the song.

The chord is located:

A,D9,A,A#,A

I have a published Tab version of Stormy Monday from the Live at the Flllmore album. A couple of things:

- They did the song in G

- the chord you refernce as (right here) in A would be a Dm/F

- The chord before it should be an Em9

It sounds perfect this way. And yes your (right here) chord has always been THE mystery chord! Almost no one ever plays it right. Listen to the bass player hitting an F over that chord.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

It's an E augmented. An E chord with a #5, commonly used in Blues as a replacement for the V chord in the turnaround. Listen to "Oh, Darling" by the Beatles. It's the firsat chord in the song.

First off, I would like to apologies for making this thread into a "Name that chord for A String" thread.

To get back to the original concept:

I switched to bass for a few years when I was on the road (I have been learning several instruments right from the start). I picked up the habit of playing the Augmented notes during a blues turn around, along with the guitar player.

Sounded great in some songs, but just too much when done in lots of songs. After a while, I forcibly contained myself to only playing it during the turn around in Stormy Monday.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

(Key of A)

--X

I haven't read the whole thread..has someone answered this?

You're talking about the last chord in the prgression..the turnaround. It's an E augmented. An E chord with a #5, commonly used in Blues as a replacement for the V chord in the turnaround.

Yup, just for the record: E augmented is the same C or G# augmented, but if it were substituting for E7, then it'd be more correct to call E augmented, just like you called it, or even E7#5.

Sorry for contributing to the hijacking of the thread.

My MySpace Space

Archived