Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions on a new guitar

joez

I'd appreciate some suggestions on a new electric guitar. I'd prefer to stay between $800 and $1500. I need versatility since I enjoy playing a variety of music - but mostly older rock - Beatles, Skynard, Doobie Bros, Eagles, Pure Prarie League, Poco, Marshall Tucker, etc. Besides rock, there could be some blues and jazz thrown in.

Looks are not as important to me as feel, neck comfort, and sound versatility. I prefer a thin neck since I do not have big hands (btw - what is the measurement of a thin neck vs. a medium or thick neck?)

I have no interest in a tremolo bar. I like a solid feel - leaning a bit toward the heavier side.

I am actually a keyboard player and I enjoy rhythm guitar as my second instrument (right now I have a Fender acoustic/electric). So while I am not a great guitar player, I am very particular about the quality and I will most likely be using it for playing small gigs (parties, etc.). I also want an instrument that really inspires me to pick it up and play it - and motivates me to improve.

If what I am asking for cost more than $1500, tell me anyway - hey...you never know. However, if I can accomplish my goals for less money, then all the better.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of guitars fit that bill, but it might be inspiring to go to warmoth, buy the parts, have them custom paint it for you, and build your own. (Or pay a luthier $100 to assemble and test it for you.) should come in right at about $1500, and would be a truly unique instrument, with everything that you like about a guitar and none of what you don't.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Personally, when it comes to versatility I favour a Fender Strat; if you don't want a tremelo you can either block it off or get a hardtail version.

You might something from Godin; they have a quite versatile sound and something like the Signature LG would likely suit ... their neck is a bit on the wide side, but quite comfortable.

You might also think of checking out Carvin guitars. They should have no problem building you a versatile guitar with plenty of rock in it.

If you've got bigger hands and you want a weighty, versatile guitar without a tremolo, then I would suggest you look at a Fender Telecaster or a tele knock off like the G&L ASAT. Tele-styled guitars have a larger scale length than Gibson or PRS guitars. The traditional single coil tele sound is appropriate for rock, blues, country, etc. If you don't like the sound of single coils, several co's make tele models with humbuckers. It's hard to offere a strong recommendation without knowing more about what you need.

Do you currently own any guitars? If you already own something you might want your new guitar to contrast the guitars you already own. If you own a Fender Strat or Tele, then you might want Gibson-style guitar with a mahogony body and humbuckers. If you own a couple of solidbody electrics, you might want a hollowbody of some sort. Etc.

Are you looking for a "classic" model guitar like a Strat, Tele or Les Paul? Or are you willing to consider more modern offerings from Ibanez, Godin, Parker, etc.? Are you willing to buy used? Are you willing to buy an imported guitar (from Korea, etc.)? You should be able to pick up a great guitar for $1500 or less. You can find some great guitars for about $600-700. Even entry-level guitars at the $300-400 price point aren't bad.

=====================================

Oops! I read that backwards. It says you do NOT have big hands, so you're looking for a thin neck. My bad, the tele would be contraindicated. A hardtailed strat would be more appropriate. Perhaps an Epiphone Elite Les Paul is in your price range? Or some kind of Gibson faded? PRS SE series or maybe a used CE?

We don't know from your post whether or not you want a solid body - you did mention toward the heavy side. A Gibson ES 125, 135, 136 are great semis close to your budget, as would be a Guild Starfire. If you want a solid, then the Strat or Tele is as good a guitar as any in that price range.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Godin Montreal - if its good enough for Randy Bachman....

These have both regular and piezo pickups. I covet the one they have locally every time I walk into the shop.

MONTREAL SPECS

http://www.godinguitars.com/montrealgrp.jpg

If that doesn't appeal, check out the LGX series of guitars. Here is the LGX-SA. The LGXT has a tremolo.

http://www.godinguitars.com/gtrlgxsas.jpg

2004 News from Godin's web site:

John McLaughlin will release a 3 DVD set entitled This is The Way I Do It (How to master Improvisation) in June 2004. He can be seen in the videos using a Godin LGXT and has emailed us to tell us how much he enjoys playing this guitar and that it is truly the best tracking guitar hes ever played.

Randy Bachman recently hit the road to promote his new CD JazzThing and hes got a brand new guitar! Randys been playing the Godin Montreal and emailed us to say that hes getting great sounds out of it from sweet Jazz tones to his trade mark American Women sound without any feedback or squeals. Hell be touring across the country with many live TV appearances in between including a special called Live at the Rehearsal Hall.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I agree with the Warmoth thing. I did it and I love the results. Go to your local music store, or better yet "stores" and try out as many guitars as you can, regardless of price. Find the "style" you like and have Warmoth build a copy. That you you will save some money and most likely get better pick-ups and hardware.

Those models of Godins are the I wish I could afford (or justify as wall ornaments). Godins are assembled in Berlin, New Hampshire - don't know how long of a drive that would be. There are some big name players using these and the Berkley College of Music uses the lower model Godin xtSA synth guitars.

Whatever you find, let us know, and post some pics.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

So, much of this depends on your own comfort level and tone zone... You need to pick up and play a bunch of guitars and see which one feels right and speaks to you.

For what its worth, I have been playing and collecting guitars for a long time, so I have a large herd of guitars. I have several choices including PRS, Strats and Les Pauls, but I have been playing my Godin LG Signature more than any of the others in recent weeks. The Godin LG Signature is versatile, giving you some good humbucking tones, but the single coil and middle positions, combined with a long 25.5 neck scale. can almost get you to Strat-land too. However, the neck is wide and the radius is really flat. so the neck feel is something that you will need to check out. You can also look at the other Godin variations with piezo and synth if you are interested (by the way, I am new to this forum, and I am surprised to see so many other Godin fans here)

The other versatile axe suggestion is to find a Ernie Ball/Musicman Silhouette--especially with a H/S/H layout. It gives you a range of humbucking and single coil tones in a smaller compact shape. The neck is a nice medium round shape and they play like butter. E.B. makes some really great axes, and you should also look at the Axis models too.

Originally posted by joez:

I'd appreciate some suggestions on a new electric guitar. I'd prefer to stay between $800 and $1500. I need versatility since I enjoy playing a variety of music - but mostly older rock - Beatles, Skynard, Doobie Bros, Eagles, Pure Prarie League, Poco, Marshall Tucker, etc. Besides rock, there could be some blues and jazz thrown in.

Looks are not as important to me as feel, neck comfort, and sound versatility. I prefer a thin neck since I do not have big hands (btw - what is the measurement of a thin neck vs. a medium or thick neck?)....

If you are looking for versatility, there is no reason you shouldn't at least consider a Variax , especially in your stated price range. Line 6 now makes a hard-tail version of the 700. If you need a skinnier neck, you can go with the 600 at a lower price. If you go with the 600 and find the whammy to be problematic you can always block the bridge/tail-piece.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived