Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New setup, New buzzes....

phaeton

Hello...

I got my Oscar Schmidt OE-30 back from getting a setup. And let me tell you....

I had the tech put .009 Flatwounds on it and I'm here to tell you that $130 guitar or not, it plays like melted butter. I pulled it out of the case at the store just to check it out and I couldn't put it back down. I played the thing kneeling down until both my legs fell asleep.

However, I never went down to the end of the neck in the guitar store. There's some pretty good buzz on frets 3, 2 and 1. Particularly on the bass side, but also noticeable on the treble side. Unfortunately I didn't notice this until I got home. Where I live at the moment it is very unfortunate but it is impossible for me to pull out any amp to play this with. The rule is "if you can't hear it through the amp, it's ok" right?

The tech who did the setup is on vacation now, but should I even pester him about it? This is the same tech that turned my horrible RG470 into a very playable guitar- should I just assume that he knows what he's doing, and this is as good as a $130 guitar might get (without some REAL work) and just kinda 'deal' with it? All in all, the guitar is 500% better than when I dropped it off to him.

:(

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guitar may not have buzzed in the store. Things sometimes change pretty dramatically between climates, like if the store was really dry and your place is really humid. Maybe give it some time to acclimate.

I agree about the playability of those things. I paid $109 for mine (not sure why it was cheaper), and it plays and sounds waaaay better than my first few guitars that were 4x the price or more.

BTW, I responded to your Goblin post a week or so ago, not sure if you saw it or not...

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

BTW, I responded to your Goblin post a week or so ago, not sure if you saw it or not...

No I didn't... I'll dig that up, thanks! I got sucked into the HC forums and a few others and don't come here very often, but I'm trying to stop by more. Gotta maintain my roots ;)

$109/$130...

I was including shipping in the price ;)

Agreed though, this guitar is a real gem compared to the ole Norma that I started on, and even better than a few that followed it.

Hopefully it's an acclimation thing. It has sat under my bed for about a week now so I should pull it out again. (a real hassle, but I should look into it).

I like this guitar tech tho- he's probably nearing 50, has long hair and looks kinda like Ritchie Blackmore with a goatee. It was even funnier once when I saw him testing out a different guitar and ripped right into the intro to Deep Purple's Strange Kinda Woman. Gotta love that! :thu:

I might take in my Squire Strat (or I might try to set it up myself) or I might even take in my gf's POS Kramer. I'm almost embarrased to have such crap guitars set up.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I managed to completely banish "the buzz" from my OE-30. Not on any string and not between the 1st and 20th frets. The frets aren't 100% and one day I'll have those evened out. But the action is only a little high. It takes a little more care when fretting but that's not a bad thing when you're practicing.

Even with the neck set correctly, some of the frets on mine are little high (you can see that with a straight edge). Raising the action a little got rid of the last of the buzz caused by that. When I have the frets fixed up, I can lower the action and this thing will really be sweet. :D

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by DC Ross:

The guitar may not have buzzed in the store. Things sometimes change pretty dramatically between climates, like if the store was really dry and your place is really humid. Maybe give it some time to acclimate.

The opposite is more likely. Stores often have humidifiers sitting in the corners and they will say NOTHING to you about them unless you ask.

A humidifier is a very good investment, not moch dollars either.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Where are you guys getting these for $109? Best I've seen is musician's friend last Dec for $125 (I think). I've seen them on ebay but by the time you add shipping its in the 150 ballpark.

Reifer: go to musician's friend. You either get a great one or a piece of junk. In the one I ordered and sent back you couldn't tighten the neck all the way down. It always had side to side play and I would have had to take the bridge apart to get one of the strings intonated. But yes, I would order another one.

There is also a five way comparison from a month or two ago of semi-hollow bodies. The OE-30 is included in that comparison.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

Where are you guys getting these for $109? Best I've seen is musician's friend last Dec for $125 (I think). I've seen them on ebay but by the time you add shipping its in the 150 ballpark.

I got mine from Musician's Friend. It was originally priced at $129 when I bought it (w/ free shipping), and couple of weeks later I saw the black one (the one I got) on their site for $109 (the other colors were still $129). I called them, and they credited the $20 difference back to my card :) I think the temporary drop in price was a mistake, because when I checked again a few days later, they all went up in price to $150. Lucky me :D

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

I have the same guitar with the same problem...buzz on frets 1-2-3...but on the high strings (because they are thinner, and sit lower in the nut than the lows)

Anyway...raising the action a bit might work...but you will find that by the time you clean up the buzz at 1-2-3...the strings will be way high at the 12th and on.

What would really work is to have the nut raised a pinch.

Also...what I found with mine...is that the neck needs to have the truss rod completely loose for it to sit right.

Even a 1/4 turn to tighten it...and it's out.

Between the truss rod and a slight adjustment in the string height of the high strings at the bridge...

...I have managed to almost clean it up 100%...but, it's the nut that really needs raising.

Another option is heavier strings...therefore more pull on the neck...then the rod can come into play to get it all lined up.

Finally...I just might really raise the strings...and turn into a slide guitar!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived