Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Collective Soul

Warthog

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an old fart...listen to old bands.

That said, Collective Soul should have been an old band. I really dig the stuff I've heard.

I don't know about top five of all time, but, I dig their stuff. I've been a fan ever since I heard "The World I Know" a few years back and thought I was listening to a new Pink Floyd song.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Collective Soul are a-ok in my book... well, were. Their self-titled album's the best one. Ross Childress (lead guitar) was the best part of the band, but then he had to go and sleep with the singer's wife...

Childress is now supposedly playing with singer Trevor Hurst (formerly of Econoline Crush). I really loved both of them in their roles before they worked together, I can't say enough good things about Hurst's singing; by far the most underrated singer of the 90s. But I haven't heard the new band so...

Originally posted by Virtual Jim:

Collective Soul are a-ok in my book... well, were. Their self-titled album's the best one. Ross Childress (lead guitar) was the best part of the band, but then he had to go and sleep with the singer's wife...

What a great idea.

One of those guys is a Berklee alumnus, was that him?

Yeah I really they are (and INXS was) on to something-rock music you can dance to. Can`t listen to `Precious Declaration` or `Gel` without moving my feet.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Warthog:

Hey, Tedster...check this out:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/t5/feature/Video.aspx?file=HowDoYouLove.wmx

DUDE!! :thu::thu:

Haven't heard that song before...but Geezo Pete...sounds like what would have happened kinda if Bono had sat down with George Harrison and Jeff Lynne. Got that sort of influence weaving its way around. We need more bands with that sort of songsmanship.

Great stuff.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I liked Collective Soul a lot, I thought it was pretty refreshing when it came out - I thought pop music was getting into Nirvana-clone overkill at that time.

They do have some filler on the albums, but the singles are terrific.

Ever hear Dolly Parton's cover of Shine? Bluegrass :thu:

Hey, Tedster...check this out:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/t5/feature/Video.aspx?file=HowDoYouLove.wmx

That video is really cool! Played it at least twice last night before going to bed.

I bought CS's "hints, allegations & things left unsaid" when 'Shine' came out, but haven't heard anything from them since. Looks like I'm going to have to check 'em out if their current stuff is anything like 'How Do You Love'. Thumbs up in my book.

Experienced drummer (playing since 1980), newbie guitarist with an Ibanez Jet King II (no effects yet) and an old Alamo tube amp.

I've gathered a few of their CDs over the years.

Like 'em. Can't say I toss them on very often but there are a few numbers there I've picked up and find rather fun to crank out myself. Mostly from Disciplined Breakdown which I like the most.

Their head is in a good place and and it shows through in their lyrics and the energy of the music.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Many, many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away, my old band played on a multi-band bill with a very unknown Southern band called Collective Soul and a crappy club here in Phily.

They were really sloppy, had tons of ultra-loud gear, drew absolutely nobody to the club, drank wayyy too much and had super-shitty rock star attitudes.

One of my friends came up to me after Collective Soul's set and said, "Man, these guys suck! They're going nowhere."

Hahah.

To be honest, I barely paid attention to them, and what I heard sounded like a big ball of mush. I was unimpressed.

Imagine my suprise when, about a year later, I started hearing Collective Soul on the radio.

Honestly, I have never been a big fan--I find the music pretty bland and lifeless and the lyrics fairly trite cliched--but I respect the fact that this total wreck of a band managed to get its shit together well enough to become famous... in spite of itself.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Interesting story Erik. I have always thought the guitar sound, particularly on the first album was awful. I disagree about the songwriting, I think the singles are pretty good.

I've experienced a fair share of bands that behave too big for club gigs :rolleyes: . The guy with two full Marshall stacks in a place that holds like 150 people. :eek: We hid in the basement and still needed earplugs.

Yay or Nay??

Yay

Thanks for posting the vid. It's unfortunate Taylor wants 2 grand for the T5. I'd sure like to have one.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Haga:

Yay or Nay??

Yay

Thanks for posting the vid. It's unfortunate Taylor wants 2 grand for the T5. I'd sure like to have one.

Yes, it's a couple bucks...In my opinion, it's worth it. Great git.

Archived