Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good day yesterday

Gabriel E.

I started my new job (at Whole Foods Market in White Plains) last Wed. Had my first day off yesterday and kept Hyacinth (almost 10 mos. old now) home from daycare so we could spend the day together.

We went for a walk with the dogs and played a lot and she helped me restring and set up my newest acquisition - a 1983 DT-155 Ibanez Destroyer II that I picked up for $250 at Guitar Center a couple of weeks back. Its a 3-humbucker monster that sounds huge and has a killer neck PU.

She doesn't care about any of that tech stuff but she likes that it's black and pointy and she can climb on it and bash the strings.

She got really happy when I finally plugged it in and cranked it up. Hyacinth loves loud music (when her mom's not around she listens to AC/DC, the White Stripes and thrash metal).

She also learned to clap her hands!

After dinner, Sarah and I played our routine game of scrabble and I kicked ass, coming from behind to win by 32 points!

Anyway, sorry to bore you non-parents with my ramblings. It's been a tough year but days like this totally make everything worthwhile.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good to hear from you Gabriel. glad you had a great day. i miss my boys being little. they do grow up fast.

Brett and Ben like AC/DC as well, i am trying to make sure they appreciate other kinds of music but they know what they like. :D

Brett is on the left and Ben (my twin) is on the right.

we listened to Powerage on the way to Taekwondo tonight. that destroyer sounds like a beast. does it have the locking trem?

No, it's the basic model with an ESP strat-type "vintage" trem. Just as well, I don't have time to mess with floyds.

BTW, the PUs are Ibanez "Super 70s". Anyone know anything about them? They seem to have a medium output with not too much high end. It's a bass-y sounding guitar.

Sounds like life is starting to work again for you, Gabe. That's great.

Little ones can really keep you focused on what matters. Sometimes I think we get more out of them than they do out of us. I know my son changed my life completely. She's only 10 mos old. There's so much to look forward to. :D

Getting back to the things that matter to you should help in getting your "groove" back. Hope we hear more from you in future.

Born on the Bayou

hey Gabriel, sounds like that little girl of yours ought to meet my son - might be a great match ;)

http://users.pandora.be/badblues/al-gtr.jpg

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

No, it's the basic model with an ESP strat-type "vintage" trem. Just as well, I don't have time to mess with floyds.

BTW, the PUs are Ibanez "Super 70s". Anyone know anything about them? They seem to have a medium output with not too much high end. It's a bass-y sounding guitar.

Gab, I had 'Super 70s' on my 1970(ish) Antoria les Paul Black Beauty with Tree of Life fretboard (Oh how I wish I still had it!!!!)

There's a discussion on an Ibanez forum about these, and it's pretty much agreed there that these are pretty close to PAFs. Those on my guitar were really nice & smooth, but with plenty of top end on that particular body. Maybe it's the wood the Destroyer's made from - is it Mahogany?

I envy you your Destroyer - I wish you joy with it.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Heyt, that's great!

My friends' young kids- a boy 'n' a girl- helped me with some hardware changes on my Les Paul "Gem" the Summer before last, and a good time was had by all... untill the little-guy accidentally pricked his finger on a string-end. Ouch! Oh, man, he cried so, and he seemed to think that I had tricked him into it or something at first. And I unintentionally made things worse when I chuckled as I told him he was in the club now, that everyone who's played much has done the same thing sometime or another, took me a while to convince hime that no, I didn't think it was funny that he'd got stuck...

A little while later, after both kids had gotten to fool around with it in Open-D through overdrive, reverb, and ping-pong stereo delay, all was much better again! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Sounds like a (Travis Tritt voice -) "Great.. day.. to be alive!"

Last night I just wanted to veg in front of the TV. I didn't arrive home until relatively late (7pm).

Not long after I'd fed myself, my wife was reading a book to Lilly on the couch, but she (wife) is sick and it was obvious reading aloud was not good, though she was determined to go on. I asked to pick up where she was. (Didn't have to ask my wife twice!) I'm a ham. Reading to Lilly is my chance to act a bit. It was great fun. Not long thereafter, Lilly was tired. She asked me to play her a song or two while she took her bath.

Sometimes you just need to be reminded what's important.

I didn't protest. Anytime my 6 year old wants to hear me play is a joy. She's already so independent. I played and sang a few tunes. She finished up, dried off and headed to her room to dress for bed.

I hadn't been back on the couch for 10 minutes and she wanted me to read her to sleep. I picked up Unicorn Point (She loves unicorns!) from the Aprentice Adept series, more of an adult, sci-fi/fantasy novel, and continued where I'd left off. I must've read 20 minutes before she dozed off.

Thanks for opening up this thread, Gabriel. I don't often get to share this stuff with people I know understand. ;)

BTW - Lilly's favorite, "mom's-not-around" music these days is Scatterbrain's Don't Call Me Dude and Down With The Ship. :D We get to listen to what she wants a lot because I drive her 25 miles to school each day and home again two days/week.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

There's a discussion on an Ibanez forum about these, and it's pretty much agreed there that these are pretty close to PAFs. Those on my guitar were really nice & smooth, but with plenty of top end on that particular body. Maybe it's the wood the Destroyer's made from - is it Mahogany?

I envy you your Destroyer - I wish you joy with it.

Geoff

I believe it's basswood. It's a pretty light guitar for its size (it's HUGE!) - maybe 7 or 8 lbs.

Archived