Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Farthest out, Most Exotic Place You've Been for a Concert

Pappy P

Hearing that d.r.e.a.m.i.s.t went all the way to bangkok for a concert made me curious.

Where is the wildest place you've gone, or the farthest drive you've ever made for a concert?

The only lame thing I could come up with is my favorite music spot: sitting outside any bar on bourbon street, because I am too cheap to pay the cover.

That should be easy to top.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you mean as a gig or as member of the audience??

For the former, it would have to be Kandahar, Afghanistan, 6 months after the 9/11 attacks. The band I mixed in the Middle East was the first full band to play for troops in Pakistan and Afghanistan. In fact, they (with another mixer) were stranded on the island of Bahrain for a week and a half beginning 9/11/01. They were setting up for the first show of a tour when word arrived of the WTC destruction. :eek:

Maybe playing the deck of the USS JFK or USS Vicksburg in the Arabian Sea on that tour is stranger and even more difficult to get to. ;)

But even that travel time pales in comparison to the 52 hours on a tour bus between two gigs, from Calgary, Canada and West Virginia, USA. (With no A/C in July! :eek: )

As for going to a concert, I can't say I've really road tripped to see any concerts, so no wild locales there.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Way back July 3/4 1971 sitting in Johnny Winters trailer (semi trailer) at the Michigan State Fair, watching him and Derringer do their set, and sittin with him and the crew watching a group called Tin Roof warm the crowd up for his set. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/ellwood1/Johnnymichstate.jpg

Okay, this wasn't too far out, but it was neat!

We went for a bluegrass night at Land Between The Lakes, Nature Station on our anniversary when my wife was pregnant with Lilly. We spent a long weekend at Land Between The Lakes. The Nature Station is a woodland zoo of local wildlife, a butterfly/hummingbird garden and extended nature trails. They aren't open at night except for moonlight special events, so the concert was almost completely in darkness. There was an electrical pole they were able to pull power from for a small PA and 30 or 40 of us sat in our own fold up chairs, on existing picnic tables, etc. It was beautiful, listening to acoustic music beneath the stars. :thu:

Three years later we returned with Lilly to hear tales spun by a nationally known storyteller. The stories and the smores were excellent! :cool:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The farthest I've ever gone for a concert was driving from Atlanta to see Rush in Miami. It was the closest tour date (they didn't even hit Chicago which is closer).

The thing that's really dumb about that is that they tacked Atlanta onto their tour about two weeks later and they came to Atlanta about two weeks after that. :rolleyes:

So I drove 1800 miles to see Rush. Then they played the town where I live. At least I got to see the show twice. :D

I think it was the Grace Under Pressure tour. But I'm not sure. Twas long ago and I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night. ;)

Born on the Bayou

Ramon Magsaysay Blvd, Olongapo City, The Phillipines. The concert was a woman who was something of a star in the P.I. named Sampguita. I somehow got to sing with her on a "good ol' rock n roll" medley, which her road manager/personal secretary told me she enjoyed it it lot, and it was true enough that I was asked back to repeat the show with her twice. The last time, I sang Zeppelin covers with her warm-up act. That was the best time I had in the P.I.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I guess mine would have to be driving me and my 2 younger sisters and their friend from Dover, DE to Woodstock '94. If I recall, it was about a 6 hour drive.

God Bless :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

last year's trip to NYC yielded an unexpected concert: Mike Keneally showed up at a Guitar Center not far from my hostel with a bassist to play a two-hour gig where they played a variety of songs from Dog and other favorites :eek::D:thu:
"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Originally posted by Warthog:

- Derek Trucks (when he was 16), some tiny BBQ joint in rural Gray, Georgia, 1996...

Was that Arnold's Bar-B-Que on Scenic Highway?
Probably so. I don't remember. It was a neat place and he was playing on the patio out back...

Originally posted by Crypt Picker:

Ramon Magsaysay Blvd, Olongapo City, The Phillipines.

Wow, I cant remember how many times Ive been there! Interesting place.

Aloha Stadium, roughly 1982, Missing Persons warmed-up for Blue Oyster Cult, Massive! :D

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

Longest distance I've ever driven purely for a concert was from Kansas City to Detroit...back in 02, I think. I went to see that chump who's on the cover of Guitar Player this month. It was worth every penny in ticket prices, accommodations, and gas. George Harrison had just passed away the previous November, and when McCartney went on tour (but no dates even CLOSE to Kansas City), I decided to go, realizing that you never know how long someone will be around. I think he did play Chicago, which would have been closer, but I had friends in the Detroit area I could stay with.

Best concert I've ever seen.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Like BiC, the farthest I have gone for a concert was to Woodstock 94'.

You should have seen the trouble we had crossing the boarder coming back. We were scruffy and unshaven (having been sleeping in a tent for three nights) and our car was covered in mud (and I do mean covered!). They had us get out of the car and we spent over two hours waiting while they went through it with a fine tooth comb.

Eventually we got back on our way. At least there wasn't any of the cavity searchs you hear about! :freak:

Archived