Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

3 fingers on 1 fret?

CaptainChaos

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Confused with frequent lol's in your posts, but I have pretty thin fingers and HATE playing an A chord like that. Try using just two fingers, flatten one out a bit so it covers two strings. good luck!
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

play a standard E maj chord:

-------
-------
---1--- 1st/index finger
---2--- ring finger
---2--- second finger
-------

then place pinky under third finger, like this:

-------
-------
---2--- pinky
---2--- 3rd finger
---2--- 2nd finger
-------

:wave:

Funkenjazzstein has a good one

try this, too

-------0-open

---2--- Ring

---2--- index

---2---middle

-------0-Open

-------X - don't play

I was right about the jimmy deans,eh?

Also practice mushing your freeting hand's index finger against your thumb and getting that middle knuckle to bend to where an inverted arc is formed

then apply that index finger and barr accross those 2nd fret notes with that finger shape

Have fun !!

You'll get it, just gotta keep at it.

Thing is, don't get all ate up on one chord. Practice the others, also

The best fingering is the one that works best for you, and for the music! I personally can't play a standard "A form" barre chord on acoustic guitar, not for lack of skill, but because the joint on my third finger falls on exactly the wrong spot - and since I can't grow a new set of hands.... However, for many years I have found ways to work around it, and no one has ever complained!

Having said that, it never hurts to try the "standard" fingerings on classical pieces or others... what might be awkward at first (if you have a weak pinky or something) might turn out to be the most easiest efficient way of doing it!

If you like a musical passage, why not try it in several places on the neck, starting on different fingers? Naturally, you will probably set on a particular one for practical porpoises....

And then I think of the old interview with Julian Bream where he described how he fingered a certain piece a certain way to keep a certain note on the A string for consistent sound... as in, "the music comes first." Lots of things to think about.. and of course, guitarists always argue about these things. Ultimately, of course, if it's ME on stage, well, "it's me, it's me, it's me, o Lord, standing in the need of prayer."

Archived