Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: First Lesson

ihategarybettman

I can't believe it. My first-born eight-year-old son took his first piano lesson last night. The missus and I have been meaning to get him started for a while. He's been picking out tunes by ear on our piano for over a year now, so I thought he had some talent, but watching him take to what his teacher was showing him quickly and smoothly made me even more proud of him than I already was. When he said that he had fun, well, that was just gravy.

My five-year-old boy is on the on-deck circle.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait. My daughter is only one year old, but I hope she will take up music in some form or another.

I'm already so proud of her when she takes a few steps or says a word, I can't imagine how great it must be to have them play an instrument or achieve some other difficult goal.

Congratulations Dad.

That's Great! Sounds like he has a good ear for it.

We recently got our 9 year old daughter into piano lessons. She wasn't picking out tunes like your son, but seems to be moving along. Thankfully my 1 year of lessons in high school is just enough to help her...so far. It's that father-daughter thing that she'll remember for the rest of her life and I'll forget in a year... month...what was I talking about?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I hear ya, revo. Jack, my younger son, says he wants lessons too, but I think it's just because big brother Sam's getting them. I'm not going to push; I'll just try to make sure the opportunity is there. There are guitars, a piano, a drumkit, and several harmonicas around the house (I'd also like to get a bass), so I'll wait and see where Jack's muse takes him.

That's the balancing act, whether it's a musical instrument or a sport. You don't want to push too hard, but you also don't want to let them quit over a momentary difficulty or lapse in enthusiasm.

That's great. :thu: Learning to read music will also help if he decides to take up other musical instruments like say, oh, I don't know, _guitars_ maybe? :D

Seriously, though, it's great when your child takes a liking to a musical instrument. Especially if they seem to have an aptitude for it.

Don't get discouraged if he decides to back off on it, though. He may just be taking a breather. The world is a big place and he's seen so little of it. Life is still one great big adventure to him (hopefully).

Give him the encouragement and support he needs to keep going. But don't push him. By the same token if he gets bored with it, maybe he isn't being challenged enough by it. If he seems to be getting bored with it, talk to his teacher about ways to keep him interested. He'll pick it up at his own pace. Sometimes that pace is a lot quicker than we think it is.

They're like sponges when they're little. They soak up everything.

Born on the Bayou

They're like sponges when they're little. They soak up everything.

Except when ya taught them how to keep their room

clean and help around the house. :rolleyes:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived