Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on standing and strumming?

skywings

I bought myself an electric a couple of weeks ago and being used to sitting with an acoustic, I got used to sitting with the electric. Recently, I decided to try playing it standing up and have found it difficult to get into a comfortable posture.

The problems are:

* the natural way the guitar falls is at too low an angle for me to comfortably fret most chords without holding up the neck constantly

* for the same reason, strumming by swinging at the elbow sweeps a large arc and makes the plectrum strike the e string at an angle instead of straight on.

The body is strapped at hip level.

Any suggestions? Is there a different strumming technique? I find up/down strokes by bending at the elbow difficult to regulate. Is it just a matter of practice? Any tricks to change the angle the guitar falls?

Any tips appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strap the axe at the position it winds up being when you sit

For strumming, anchor your frearm/elbow at the top of the body somewhere

let the strum movement come by your forearm and wrist moving in a circular fashion rotating from the elbow joint instead of your elbow joint moving in a vertical fashion

DO NOT USE YOUR ELBOW for strumming

what ever you do ..don't fall down! that isn't cool.

i couldn't help myself ;)

ther is some good info in the thread mentioned by LPCustom. welcome to the forum by the way.

what type of guitar is it? some are more friendly to hanging naturally and some are neck heavy.

Originally posted by skywings:

* for the same reason, strumming by swinging at the elbow sweeps a large arc and makes the plectrum strike the e string at an angle instead of straight on.

The body is strapped at hip level.

As others have pointed out, you shouldn't strum using your elbow anyway. You should do it from the wrist. Using your elbow is WAY too clumsy.

I'd LIKE to have my guitar slung at hip level or even lower, just for the "coolness" factor, but it gets too uncomfortable. As others have said, regulate the strap so the guitar's at whatever height you're used to.

Practice standing up, at least 1/3 of the time. It feels very awkward at first, and your playing deteriorates, but just keep at it and it'll come. Eventually you'll come to prefer being able to move around. I don't really like playing sitting anymore, unless I'm trying to figure something tricky out.
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

Archived