Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

guitar & being sick

pollock

I have had a nasty head-cold for the last week, which includes a horrible sore throat. I can't sing, my ears are stuffed up/ringing so it seems harder to hear the notes i'm playing. Plus- i cough on my guitars....ick. Do you ever feel like you're not as good at guitar when you're sick? I know thats how I feel right now. :freak:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, when I'm sick, I tend to reach for the comfortable; "I Love Jeannie" re-runs and my Martin D-18 or Fender Highway 1 Strat; but one is gone forever :cry: and the other is ninety miles away :mad:

Unfortunately, right now, I've got a different illness ... the "blahs" ... or ... I don't give a s#^$*t.

I these cases nothing helps. Not even a new guitar :eek:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

My Granny in Scotland (read 'bad weather') always used to say the a piano could catch a cold and the sound would go off until it was heated up & dried out.

I wonder if an acoustic can get the cold if you sneeze into it?

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Another perspective on being sick and playing...I've always noticed that when I was sick and had to play a gig, that for those 40 - 60 minutes I'm on stage, I feel incredibly better...only to "relapse" during breaks. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Another perspective on being sick and playing...I've always noticed that when I was sick and had to play a gig, that for those 40 - 60 minutes I'm on stage, I feel incredibly better...only to "relapse" during breaks. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Absolutely - performing makes the world go away, including illness. I played Friday night with the start of this cold, kept a box of tissues next to me, rigged up a bag to toss 'em into - still had a great gig - just warned jammers away from my mic.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I think I have forgotten what its like to be sick. I have only had 2 colds in the last 5 years and have not had the flue in at least 5. At my last job though, I was stressed all the time and seemed to get 4 colds a year. I cna't scientificly say that the stress was lowering my immune system, but it sure makes me think that.

Flu germs can can travel about further than you think. People who soldier on and work, play gigs etc and think they won't infect others with the virus are doing no-one any good except maybe the pharmaceutical companies. Stay in bed. I had it in our winter, next year I'm definately getting flu vacine shots.

I can get pretty depressed when I get the flu -and for weeks after.So I take multi B vitamin pills, once I start recovering. It probably doesn't help alleviate the flu while you have it, but picks you up afterwards.

I feel for you CG and anyone else who gets the flu.

Well I had one spectacular experience one time! I had been having bad stomach aches for two weeks and been into two emergency facilities here twice and they said it was just indigestion. So we had a Friday night gig to do and I felt not too bad. WELL somewhere around 11:00 I doubled up on stage and passed out!! they called the EMU and hauled me away and it ended up I had a burst and ruptured appendix! wow that was a bad one ended up with a nasty drain tube in the incision and strong antibiotics for the next three weeks and spent a week in the hospital!!! When we played there again the owner said "Oh I just thought you od'ed or something?

Normally, if I'm sick, I won't touch my guitars. I don't even wnt to look at them.

Back when I was gigging with our band in clubs, we were on the third day of a five day road trip and I woke up feeling absolutely awful with a head cold. I was miserable all day and didn't go to the club for rehearsal. I didn't go to club that afternoon at first but our other guitarist came and dragged me out of bed and made me come over there. It was just across the street.

Anyway, as I got kitted up and we finished the sound check we did a run through of our opening song (can't remember what it was). I immediately started to feel better. By the time we finished our second set, I didn't want to go back to the hotel.

Of course by the time I got back to the hotel I was miserable again.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by KPB:

Originally posted by ellwood:

When we played there again the owner said "Oh I just thought you od'ed or something?

Bar owners suck! I'm in no hurry to have to deal with these scumbags anytime soon.
Taken care of by one word! AGENT! We have had some good ones over the years, by reputation the good ones last, scumb bag ones go away fast, it just kills me thought to see younger bands get screwed all the time by the bad ones.

Good story Ellwood! staying indoors and trying to get some sleep today with some NyQuil. I feel lazy, but when its over I'll have lots of energy. Speaking of Nyquil, maybe I'll write a song - "The stuffy head, sore throat, coughing, aching, fever, trying to get better blues"

Archived