Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How low do you sling it?

Hardtail

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waist level just straddling the trunks

RE; On the big dudes

I remember sitting in at my friend's gig and his guitar was at waist level.

But because his belly was so big, when I put the guitar on, it went don to my knees !!

I think they need to come up with a Concave Ovation guitar design.

Just a little on the high side, with the centerline of the guitar about 3" above my waist. And, having an abundant abdominal supplement, my strap tends to be fully extended as well.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Well ill take Dave's approach:

Acoustic: I wear em high, no point in wearin em low, prolly just look stupid anyways.

Hollow-body electric: Wear em at the waist.

Les Paul: Low, real low, basically about 2 and a half inches below the top of my pants. Below the belt buckle, which also helps prevent scratches on the back.

hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

I wear mine low--right over my crotch.

Of course, this fits right in with the old saying that the lower the guy wears his guitar, the bigger an asshole the player is.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

This does relate to a couple of playing issues, and usually, wearing the guitar higher enhances the ability to play, because it is 'better' ergonomically. (And spare me the examples of guys who play very well will a low slung axe.... I know. I can only say to you, "Imagine what they might have done had they held it correctly!")

I've been wearing my guitar real low since I started playing in the 1960s. But that is no endorsement, because I'm no hot shit player.

This does bear directly on an earlier question about the guitar and singing... posture. I'm beting that the guy who is having trouble singing with a heavy guitar would sing better if he strapped it up a little bit, and watched his posture. A lot of the guts who wear it low also seem to lean forward or hunch up, and some slope to the right. Not cool.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I play a les paul with the bridge pickup right where my manhood is. I figure for rock and roll, a style of music named after a euphamism for sex, this is only totally appropriate. :)

Obscenities aside, there are physical reasons for this. I like the way the weight is distributed at this height, and my arms extended about a handsize below the picking area, so I still have a good range of movement for picking technique.

I go anywhere from "suspiciously high" to deeply entrenched in nerd territory. I'm sort of moving down right now, I sort of oscilate cycling over a period of like two years. I dont' know why, but I go little bit up or down every few months.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Originally posted by musicalhair:

I go anywhere from "suspiciously high" to deeply entrenched in nerd territory. I'm sort of moving down right now, I sort of oscilate cycling over a period of like two years. I dont' know why, but I go little bit up or down every few months.

I used to play sitting and I got an elbow and wrist tendonitis problem. I suspect that when sitting, the guitar was too far up my torso, causing undue bending of the elbow and was something that irritated proximal forearm tendons. I haven't really been able to play for ~3 months because of it. And this is only a guess about the position. I have long arms, and I tend to make a LP look like a toy guitar, so I am not normally proportioned, if anyone is.
still a noob!

Archived