Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where's the other strap button?

LPCustom

I got the urge a little while ago to put a strap on this OE-30 (Oscar Schmidt) and play it standing up for a while.

Got the strap on the strap button on the butt. No problem. Go to put the strap on the button on the bass bout and... Where is it? :eek::D Turn it over and look on the back where it is on Gibsons. Nope, not there, either.

I just noticed the guitar doesn't have a strap button on the bass bout where there should be one. (you can see one in the picture on MFs website) I guess I'll have to fit one myself. No big deal.

Does anyone else that has this guitar have this problem? Or is it just like everything else with this line of guitars. Don't get me wrong I really like this guitar but Oscar Schmidt's quality control is comical. :D

No wonder it fit in a 335 case so easily... :rolleyes:

Born on the Bayou

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Guitarzan:

they assume you are going to use a strap with the tie end that goes to the headstock. alot of accoustics are like that as well.

I don't think so. It's supposed to have a strap button on the bass bout horn. It's pictured that way on the Music123 website. Like this:

http://www.crystalblack.com/pictures/OscarSchmidtOE-30.jpg

Mine looks exactly like this, by the way. Except I put black speed knobs on mine. I Don't really like the amber bell knobs that came with it.

With a bolt-on neck, I'd never hang the guitar from the headstock and the strap button on the butt. I'd be afraid of it torqing the neck on the body. It's pretty light but playing it would flex it pretty hard, I think.

Born on the Bayou

I think some came as you describe while others came with the button near the base of the neck. Call Washburn. Maybe you win the lucky prize.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by caprae:

I think some came as you describe while others came with the button near the base of the neck. Call Washburn. Maybe you win the lucky prize.

You can't put a strap button where they are on Gibson 335s. The neck is a bolt-on so there's a neck plate there. I suppose one of the neck bolts could hold a strap button.

I went to the Oscar Schmidt web site and all the pictures of OE-30s they have on there have the strap button on the bass bout horn.

I'm wondering if DC-Ross has one on his. I can put one on mine easily. (I have several in a drawer somewhere).

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

You can't put a strap button where they are on Gibson 335s. The neck is a bolt-on so there's a neck plate there. I suppose one of the neck bolts could hold a strap button.

I went to the Oscar Schmidt web site and all the pictures of OE-30s they have on there have the strap button on the bass bout horn.

I'm wondering if DC-Ross has one on his. I can put one on mine easily. (I have several in a drawer somewhere).

Yup, sure do. I agree with you, definitely don't tie a strap around the head; I don't think a well made bolt-on neck would hold up under normal use...

Here's a closeup:

http://www.rossdesigngroup.com/images/misc/oe30button.jpg

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Looks like you had the same idea I had, DC. It's a little spooky how close my picture is to yours in context. I see yours has that milky look to the fretboard, too. I thought mine just had some guitar polish overspray on it or something. I guess I'll be taking a closer look at that tomorrow.

Here's a picture of the bass bout horn on my guitar:

http://www.crystalblack.com/pictures/OscarSchmidtOE-30BassBoutHorn.jpg

And Here's the back:

http://www.crystalblack.com/pictures/OscarSchmidtOE-30Back.jpg

The other guitars aren't usually out at the same time. But it's bath night.

http://www.crystalblack.com/pictures/bathnightattheranch.jpg

All the guitars that I played with this week get a bath (well, cleaned up, anyway) before they go back in their cases. The Martin D-15 is behind me. I just finished cleaning it.

That's the Marshall 5005 "Lead 12" in the corner. My wife won't let me setup the JCM800 in the house. I don't have the room anyway.

EDIT: The guitars are (left to right), 1985 Gibson Les Paul Studio, 1977 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 2004 Epiphone Les Paul Standard, 2005 Squier Stratocaster (modified electronics), 2003 Fender Stratocaster Junior, 2005 Oscar Schmidt OE-30. There would be two more but they are MIA.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Originally posted by DC Ross:

Yup, sure do. I agree with you, definitely don't tie a strap around the head; I don't think a well made bolt-on neck would hold up under normal use...

Really? Uhmmm... thank you for that. I'll cease and desist at once. :thu:
Vince: I wouldn't call the neck joint on the OE-30 a well-made joint. It actually flexes the neck if you move the body on your lap so that the neck is on one leg and the body is on the other from having the body on both legs. I can tell because when I do that all the strings go a little flat. An absolute sign that the neck joint is flexing.

So I certainly wouldn't hang that guitar between the headstock and the butt strap button. It just flexes too much. You might be able to get away with that on other guitars. But I have never seen a reason to. I don't have a guitar with a bolt on neck other than this Oscar Schmidt that doesn't have two strap buttons.

I can see doing that with acoustic guitars since many don't a second strap button. But not on a rather flimsy guitar like this. Beside, most acoustics have a well attached neck.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

man that is wierd. obviously you could put the strap button on...but you shouldnt have to. I mean i wouldnt be a prick about it either but you paid good money for it and you should get what you paid for...id make some phone calls before i threw one in..

Eh, it takes five minutes to put one on and I've got one to put on there. So it's not a big deal. It just surprised me that they could just leave something off like that. That and it took me almost a month to notice it... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just called Musician's Friend. They are going to send me a pair of strap buttons for free and a $10 credit on my next purchase. I'd call that pretty good customer service.

Born on the Bayou

Funny about the similarity of those pics :) Looks like you got the "fancy" neck plate (mine's plain).

The necks do look similar, with that white gunky look to them. On the advise from another thread, I picked up some lemon oil and 0000 steel wool. Next time I change the strings, I'll give it a good cleaning.

Good to hear Musician's Friend is taking care of you; I've had similar experiences with their service.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Archived