Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Social Experiment #2

Kramer Ferrington III.

So who's your favourite Beatle?

I know, it sounds like some cretin poll out of "teen beat" or whatever, but it's not a bad question. Part of their appeal was that they had very distinct personalities.

When I was younger I immediately answered "John Lennon!", put now I think I'd rather "Penny Lane" than "Strawberry Fields Forever".

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tied between Ringo and George. I loved George's quiet genius (While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one of my favorite Beatles songs) and Ringo is one of the most under-rated drummers ever; he's constantly dismissed as simple and not that technically advanced, but his time was rock solid (ask George Martin) and everything he played was absolutely perfect for the song.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

Tied between Ringo and George.

That's interesting.

The two guys were such opposites, one was into all that spiritual Hindu stuff while the other is apparently much more into Enjoying (with a capital "E") a rather uncluttered life.

I'd have to go with George Harrison.

I was aghast at what happened to him and his wife when someone broke into their home and nearly killed him (stabbed him a large number of times). He was a pacifist and did not even try to fight back. I don't understand that but I respect the strength of his convictions in that regard.

I always thought George was the most talented of the group and the one that promoted himself the least. In contrast I always thought Ringo had the least talent. He wasn't even a good drummer.

My favorite song by George is "Got My Mind Set On You".

Born on the Bayou

John was always my favourite. I liked who he was.

It's funny though, I always found that when you listened to each of the members solo work, you could hear what each person brought to the Beatles.

I've never heard such a perfect split before (Or merge looking at it the other way).

Pre & Post Beatle favorite has always been and always will be George Harrison.

I loved his compositions long before I reasized they were his, migrated to his solo work without disrupting my image of him. As an artist and true friend and colaborator amoung his contemparies I've felt (IMO) few could have known and disliked the man.

It's like the vibe I've always gotten from James Taylor..

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Depsite my post above...Lennon was always my favorite. His lyrics were the most interesting (I Am The Walrus) and his sense of timing was unique (All You Need is Love, I Want You {She's So Heavy}). And he could muster up as pretty a song as Paul when he wanted to (In My Life, Don't Let Me Down).

I think George was never able to show his best work until after the Beatles. All Things Must Pass is his masterpiece. The others' solo work never matched their work in the group.

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Depsite my post above...Lennon was always my favorite. His lyrics were the most interesting (I Am The Walrus) .

Was that HIM? I thought that was Paul, somehow.

You know, there's that thing in the "Imagine" album where he sings "The walrus was Paul".

Oh well, ok.

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Depsite my post above...Lennon was always my favorite. His lyrics were the most interesting (I Am The Walrus) .

Was that HIM? I thought that was Paul, somehow.

You know, there's that thing in the "Imagine" album where he sings "The walrus was Paul".

Oh well, ok.

I read that it was John's lyrics as well. John was quoted as saying that he liked to throw words together that didn't make any sense and then watch as people scrambled to come up with all sorts of unusual meanings.

In this quote he referred to some of the lyrics he had written in "I am the Walrus" and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds".

Paul was the walrus, but John wrote the lyrics.

Archived