Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The subject of who-aughtta-be-on-the-cover again...

Caevan O’Shite

Y'know, I think GP aughtta start a series of articles searching for great bands and players of myriad styles playing relatively small-potatoes but regular, frequent gigs, in all manner of places world-wide, and occasionally feature them on the cover. Y'know, bars 'n' clubs, folks developing regional followings; you could even put a somewhat "reality"-coverage spin on the proceedings. THAT would be great! AND help give a little extra push to the real grass-roots base of the continuing present and future of 'guitar'. :cool:

I can't begin to tell you how boring it is to see Jimi, Jimmy, Beck, Clapton, etc. on the cover time and time again, no matter how much I like their music... :freak:

And return to shots showing players holding and even- imagine this- playing guitars, instead of these glossy-glam-rag close-ups and often lame headlines worthy of local TV news-anchors ("Hotter than Hell", "The Return of the Funk King", "The Return of the Tone King"... ) :rolleyes:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that would be cool, but would people want to buy a mag with unsung heroes on the cover? Maybe, but it's likely a risk they're hesitant to take. I agree that we know all we care to about lots of high profile players, and it would be nice to learn more about... Bugs Henderson, Chris Duarte, Jesse Cook, James Ulmer, and many other grossly underrepresented artists who still live in our world of making ends meet, paying our own bills, running our own errands, etc. I find real working musicians more of an inspiration these days than rock stars who live in a world most of us will never see.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I agree with both the above. There are a lot of artists just on the fringes, but big enough to be recognized. How about a Richard Thompson cover story?? He's released his fair share of albums these last few years. There's also Steve Hillage (pauses for a collective responce of "who..??"), he's been around since the 60's (with Gong), helped invent ambient music in the 70's then embraced techno/electronica in his latest incarnation. I'm sure we could all come up with a list of at least 3 players who are due their GP dues.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

I think it would be cool if they did an undiscovered guitarists issue. They could have a cover with a group shot of 10-15 guitarists and a one page article about each of them. Similar to what some of the entertainment magazines do with upcoming actors.

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

Originally posted by JipThePeople:

"Give me George Lynch, Alex Lifeson, or Ty Tabor - They are all very underrated IMO."

Underrated? At least two of these guys have been on the cover of GP before, each has been featured numerous times, all three are well known to millions, they're ROCK STARS already... They don't even remotely figure into what I'm getting at here. They'd be cool as "panel of judges" nominees for this sort of thing, if such a panel were needed. But, I'd bet that anybody who reads this thread knows all three of 'em, and many folks probably have CD's with two or even all three on 'em!

I'm talkin' people like you, Funk Jazz, Lee Flier, UnderTheGroove, lots of great players out there; classical and flamenco players, too. Lifers in bars and clubs and restaurants, whether they've recorded or not, but are front-line, grass-roots standard-bearers and envelope-pushers, the players who for many, many people who don't play or read guitar-magazines or forums are a big influence on how they understand, perceive, and define guitar and music.

Originally posted by Vince C.:

"Maybe they could have the unsung guys' pictures as an inset on the cover?"

Nope. Gotta be the whole cover. ;) At least once or twice a year...

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I know, let's get 'em to put Ellwood on the cover. Should we start an email campaign?

By the way, I'm just kidding. Don't take that the wrong way, Lee. :D

:D I WANNA B the new cover!! I know ..lets ALL take turns! LP then Geezer an Neil and KPB and well not Vince he likes Punk too much ..ok Im making a list right NOW for us. :thu:

On the cover of Guitar Play-ER! Hmmm...Boy there's a song in that someplace...

Oh well we're guitar strumers, we've had lots of bummers but we play every chance we get

The neighbors complain that that we cause them pain, but they haven't had us busted yet.

We're searching the perfect guitar tone, be we punker or a corporate cur,

But we'd know we were cookin' if we saw ourselves lookin' from the cover of Guitar Play-er!

Guitar Player! Wanna see my picture on the cover, then you'd know I am hot picker, brother!

When I see my face and axe on the cover of Guitar Play-er!

Anyone got a verse or chorus?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Plan A - What to put on the cover? Cover bands of course, what else.

Plan B - How Guitar Players can rule the world.

Step One: Use a blank piece of paper as a cover, with a pencil attached by a string so people can draw a picture of their very own fab guitar hero.

Step 2: Buy up the world's supply of pencils, so that the only way anyone can obtain a pencil is to buy a copy of Guitar Player.

Step 3 Wait outside of places where Guitar Player is sold, and gather up all the guitar magazines that have been discarded by saxamophone players after they've obtained their pencil.Sell them on Ebay, sit back and watch the dough come rolling in.$$$$$$$$$$

Originally posted by Philemec:

"Plan A - What to put on the cover? Cover bands of course, what else."

:D:thu:

"Plan B - How Guitar Players can rule the world.

Step One: Use a blank piece of paper as a cover, with a pencil attached by a string so people can draw a picture of their very own fab guitar hero.

Step 2: Buy up the world's supply of pencils, so that the only way anyone can obtain a pencil is to buy a copy of Guitar Player.

Step 3 Wait outside of places where Guitar Player is sold, and gather up all the guitar magazines that have been discarded by saxamophone players after they've obtained their pencil.Sell them on Ebay, sit back and watch the dough come rolling in.$$$$$$$$$$"

Perfectly silly! Y'know, you aghtta be tapped to co-write some Wallace and Gromit storylines... :thu:

They could put a picture of a guitar player on the cover with a hole cutout where the face would be. Then everyone could paste their picture behind the cover so the face shows up through the hole. That way, everyone gets to be on the cover! :idea:

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

What's with the punk dissing? Good punk's got more in common with original rock 'n' roll than a lot of so-called AOR/classic rock does...

Archived