Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

acoustic model numbers???

force

I've been trying to determine the difference between a D25 and D55 guild acoustic. Haven't been able to play the 55, but from reading it seems it's a little fancier in the looks department... Can anyone shed any light on the model numbering system of acoutics? Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a bigger, fancier guitar - I think it's their flagship model. It should have an ebony fretboard, gold plated hardware, and a close grained Sitka spruce top. The D25 is a lower priced, less opulent, workin' man's kinda box. Both are great, but the D55 is the top choice.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Are you referring to the GAD25 and GAD50? Or are you looking at the D55?

The GAD25 has mahogany for the body (top, back and sides). Whereas the GAD50 uses Indian rosewood for the back and sides with a Sitka spruce top. I can't tell much difference otherwise. Most of the details on the Guild web site are the same.

The GAD50 sells for abut $675. I don't know what the GAD25 sells for.

They also have a GAD50E that goes for about $825. I don't know why that one is more expensive than the GAD50. There's no information on the Guild site that I can find to differentiate them more than that.

Generally from the same builder a more expensive guitar usually means more expensive materials or more labor expense to build the guitar. Some times both. The higher labor costs might be because of inlays or finishing process. Or it could just be the difference between a journeyman built guitar versus a master built guitar.

Sometimes (as in the case of the Gibson ES-335 Dot and the Historic Reissue ES-335s there is almost no difference -- they just think they can charge more for it).

EDIT: I got to read these things better. Reif is right on about the D55. It's their flagship guitar and it's a VERY nice guitar. I think the D25 is made in China and the D55 is made in the USA.

Born on the Bayou

It used to be that the D55 had rosewood sides and back, and the 25 had mahogany. The 55 had the ebony board vs the rosewood board on the 25. The other differences were primarily cosmetic, ie, inlays, bindings, plating. I've got an older D35 and I LOVE it!
"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Thanks guys. I've got an '82 D25 and I love it. Bought it about 20 years ago for a few hundred and an amp trade in. For some reason I've had the feeling that I'd like to get something else lately (read new) so I've been kinda in the market, and I just couldn't see the big difference in the 25 and 55 other than finish items, and a HUGE increase in price.

Funny, the one thing all this looking around at other guitars has brought me - Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, - is a lost appreciation for what I've got; kinda like coming home to an old friend. Maybe I'll buy that cool table saw at Home Depot...

Guild's model numbers can be a bit perplexing.

First off, there is both a D-25 model and a GAD-25 model as well as D-50, D-55, and GAD-50 models. All of these are dreadnaughts. The "D" designation in the D-series and GAD-series means "dreadnaught". However, there are also some dreadnaught models in the G-series. The GAD-25E or GAD-50E would have an electric pickup and preamp (Fishman) installed. The F-series and GF-series guitars are folk style guitars, the J-series are jumbo size guitars, and the A-series are concert size guitars.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Archived