Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Super 60 Head?

MILLO

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Millo,

A friend of mine had a Super 60 combo amp. It sounded great until the buzz/crackle/sound fade demons took control. The dealer where he bought it and the technicians at the factory could not make any improvements, let alone repair it. Since it was off warranty he was told that he would just have to live with it.

So beware it seems that not all Fenders are created equal.

I had a Super 60 1x12 combo, and gigged with it for a couple years. The "gain" channel's (I don't remember what it was called) tone was great; as I remember, it was s'posed to be based on the tweed Bassman. Not a high gain channel; it had less gain than the Drive channel of a Hod Rod DeVille, for example. The clean channel was ok I guess, I never used it - it was a channel switching amp, but both "channels" shared the same EQ controls, the difference in tone between the 2 was too much to be able to use the channel switching feature - adjust it for the gain channel, and the clean channel was way too bassy, and vice versa. If you forget the 2 channel thing, and just use it like a one channel amp, for just-past-clean, edge of distortion, or OD it is a great sounding amp.

I used one for about a half hour at an open mike thing awhile back. It was going into a cabinet with 2X12 Altec speakers, open backed. I really hated the clean tone on it. I thought it might sound like a Twin I had or the SuperReverb I still have and it didnt. It sounded boxey and too thuddy. I never tried the overdrive channel on it. Anyway a limited try out but I did not like it at all!

Archived