Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a descent condensor mic for recording acoustic....?

EmptinesOf Youth

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a budget, and a little more to go on.

I'm kind of a mic snob, and that is magnified by the fact that I just got back from AES about an hour ago, where I saw the best of the best.

There is no rule to how to record an acoustic, but I have a few different templates from which I might work. My first 'go to' method uses a pair of small diaphragm condensers, one at the fretboard level, at about the 12/14th fret, pointed at an angle toward the body; with the second mic just below bridge level, just behind the bridge, anywhere from 12 to 24 inches straight out from the guitar. In this case, I use any of a few different pair that I have to work from (all vintage and higher dollar offerings); and I can recommend a pair of Oktava 012's, which are cheap and decent.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

... the sm57 just isnt loud enough to mic an acoustic, ...

Why would that be? Though it would not be my first choice, (the right mic to use is often the mic that you own...)it would certainly be loud enough, unless I got too far away from the instrument. Oh, those Oktavas are often on sale at GC for around $100, plus or minus. When I bought mine (which I subesequently sold..)I paid about $250 each, but I bought the entire kit with multiple capsules, and a pad, in a storage box.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

K heres what i did:

If i turn all the mic clip levels on the firebox interface to zero and monitor through cubase i still here this hiss noise. If i record with those conditions and playback in cubase i still hear the hiss. If i export the sound to an mp3 and then play it back via winamp through the fireboxes phones out, i get noise still but its wierd almost gargley. But if i switch my sound source from the firebox to my sound blaster card and play through winamp...no noise. If i go back into cubase and switch the devices from the firebox AI back to axio multimedia and then play the file back...no noise. If your still with me on this and understood everything awesome.

Sounds like its a faulty headphone out to me...but what happens when i record sound? Well the hiss stays with the audio. Even when played through my sound blaster card and out of my speakers. This doesnt happen with any audio that i havent recorded (cds, games..etc..)... so yea i have no clue

does this deserve its own thread?

I think that you need a guy from firebox to answer your questions. I don't know the piece, I never use winamp, and I might use an MP3 once or twice a year. There are no games or sound blasters in my computers, and I don't use Cubase. I'm kinda the third wheel here.

But let me say this... if you are recording and trying to peak out the levels to 0dB full scale digital, you are on the wrong track. -20 (or arguably, -18... one was the Sony standard and the other was the Pannasonic standard...)equates to 0, as was used in recording for 70 or 80 years. Your signal should be bouncing in around there, with peaks at -12 or maybe as loud as -6. Trying to drive cheap preamps to 0DBFS is probably the source of your hiss.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Oh, those Oktavas are often on sale at GC for around $100, plus or minus. When I bought mine (which I subesequently sold..)I paid about $250 each, but I bought the entire kit with multiple capsules, and a pad, in a storage box.

I may be wrong, but I think they stopped carrying those for over a year now. I should've bought then, but I told myself "later".... :rolleyes::mad::freak:

I think you can get them from other retailers nowadays, at much more than $100. I've been told what happened was they were getting them out of the plant and distributing them w/o a quality control check, so you could get a great mic for super cheap or you could get a lemon. The other retailers are doing the quality control, and that's part of the price hike... or something like that.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

I think you can get them from other retailers nowadays, at much more than $100. I've been told what happened was .... The other retailers are doing the quality control, ....

That particular internet myth (and variants of it )about the Oktava 012 has been floating around for almost 10 years.

Neither here nor there, there have been thousands of these things sold, so you should be able to find them used.

Meanwhile, there has been a Chinese knockoff of the mic, which I've never heard and which is poorly made. There are comparision photos also on the net somewhere.

But there are a number of respectable low budget small diaphragm condensers. The theory in their useage is the same. If you choose to mic using the method that I described, any will do.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by MILLO:

go here: www.oktava.com

...a distributor called "The Sound Room", I think based in Arkansas.

ahhh... I see where you got your info.

Bill

Steve Martin

Actually, I got the info from a semi-pro recording engineer in Chicago. I don't remember exactly what he told me--it was a short conversation in a recording session break, when I noticed a couple Oktavas on a side desk. This was more than a year and a half ago so I don't remember well, plus I don't know how accurate his info was.

I haven't asked anyone at GC about it for a while now, but when I called the last time (again, maybe a year ago) asking about the mics, I got pretty much the same exact info. Maybe he was one the clueless employees.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

the mxl 990 was the mic i use to use and still have but its turn to crap. fades in and out and its pretty much just broken...so if the octavas are out..what then? im thinkin i DO need condensors. I think the fingerpicking on the acoustic is just too light to be picked up by them.

Archived