Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

your favorite Mike Stern CD and tune?

MILLO

So, what's your favorite Mike Stern CD and/or tune? I'm looking for a nice, "modern"-sounding fusiony thang. I remember hearing "Lumpy" from 'Give and Take'(?) years ago and liking it a lot. Something along these lines. I'll consider that cd again.

By "modern-sounding" I mean "modern" in respect to the whole of jazz history, not necessarily 21st-century sounding. Although I'd love to hear who you guys think would be today's most influential fusion/jazz guitarists for the music of tomorrow.

Thanks.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thnk his two recent releases, Voices and These Times have some new directions. A lot of his progressive albums have had a hint of re-hash to them, just another 45 minutes of take-offs on his first album, Upside/Downside{/i].

Standards I think is wonderful too.

His first one Upside Downside has Jaco on the whole thing. Need I say More?

Chromazone is on his second release. Pretty sick head

If your looking for some killer roots fusion, get wayne Krantz's Long to be loose

go to waynekrantz.com and listen to whippersnapper

Jimmy Herring and Project Z has some pretty sick stuff as well as his endangered species CD

They are my two favorite catz because as outside and technical as they get, they still can play the blues

Thanks for the suggestions....

Yeah, I want these for my listening, pleasure, for getting more acquainted w/ the genre, and for learning a couple exciting tunes (not necessarily the solos ;) ).

I think Chromazone is in fake/real books, right? I'll check it out. "Lumpy" is one I want to learn, but I don't even remember how it goes.

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Caputo:

Chromazone is on his second release. Pretty sick head

If your looking for some killer roots fusion, get wayne Krantz's Long to be loose

go to waynekrantz.com and listen to whippersnapper

Jimmy Herring and Project Z has some pretty sick stuff as well as his endangered species CD

They are my two favorite catz because as outside and technical as they get, they still can play the blues

Hey man, what exactly is 'roots fusion'? I'm actually looking for lyrical solos minor seconds and ninths put in the right places and huge intervals and 'out there' scales, sick licks, "complex" harmonies, and unexpected twists and turns, etc... Not eactly sure where 'roots fusion' fall into this. However your last paragraph tells me I should check it out.

I'll check those guys out later on tonight! Thanks for the suggestions!

My MySpace Space

Say no more, just say it accurately. Jaco is on but one tune ("Mood Swings") on Upside Downside. Mark Egan is the bassist on most of the tracks.

The Jigsaw album has some good compositional explorations more so than the soloing

While the Standards album is him just straight rippin' through the changes

I like the rhythm section grooves with Will Lee and dennis chambers and Ben Peroski on the 1994 album (forgot name)

Archived