Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My amp is picking up Italian radio!

Darcy H

My Fender Blues Junior is picking up an Italian radio signal, and I know there's no local broadcast. Not a big deal as I can strum a chord and it goes away....or at least, you can't hear it anymore :D .

Have you guys heard of this before? Any shielding I can use or just don't leave my amp on when not playing????

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha :D

My old Marshall had the same kind of effect on my stereo. If it was running while my stereo was on and the turntable was selected the amp would kick out BBC radio broadcasts!

It had to be that exact combination for it to work and it was very faithful in delivering that chanel.

Interesting how these things are all interconnected :freak:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Well something is attenuating the siginal, usually its incorrect grounding..do you have a ground lift or reverse polarity switch on that amp? check the plug end and see if it is damaged on the ground blade going into the wall outlet and check the wall outlet to see if the house ground is intermittent or if there is voltage on the ground.

Not nearly as cool as picking up foreign radio - in college I had a wah that would pick up our college radio station when rocked forward. It was kind of distorted and crackly - it was so consistent though, that we worked the sound into a song intro.
Go that way really fast.  If something gets in your way, turn.

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Twice recently my rig has picked up Japanese radio - and that wasn't local either. Very strange!

haven't been able to duplicate it since.

G.

Maybe somebody in the building (or near you) had a shortwave radio and then moved out?
Mmm, maybe, but it didn't sound like shortwave - it was a full-range signal - sounded as good as the FM we get at home, but in Japanese. It also sounded like a main, popular station - a bit Radio 5ish.

As I said, strange.

The funny thing is, when I let my partner hear it, she jokingly said it was probably some old japanese soldiers still holed up on an island, thinking the war was still going on, AND, GUESS WHAT?

The next day, they announced they had found a couple of Japanese soldiers etc. etc. Even stranger.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

My old Ampeg VT-22 used to pick up CB radio (this was in the 70's) often.

But the weirdest...playing around with some pedals in my basement, and I slowly hear a faint Chorus...like angels, gets louder and louder and they sound like they are singing a hymn, or something like "ave maria"...

I could even PLAY with it...that was spooky.

I kept calling my wife to come down (listen to this!) but she never runs when I say "quick, come here"...maybe she's learned it isn't worth it :-)

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Well I thought some of our Meteorologists or Ham Operators would offer comment but, heres my .02.

Heres how youre picking up stations over unbelievable distances.

Atmospheric Duct

A radio receiver is really quite simple, a tuned circuit and a detector diode is all that is needed.

Crystal Radio

Our amps and effects have many tuned circuits in them and diodes as well. But not everything is as it appears or was designed. You know that 12AX7 in your preamp? Those little elements inside that tube can become and do many things they were not designed to do. And those little metal shields over the tubes that a lot a folks take off and lost years ago, guess what those are for! If you guessed to keep from turning your amp into a radio, you guessed correctly :D

When i get big i'm gonn'a get an electric guitar...

When i get real big...

Originally posted by Caputo:

Although it was fiction, The scene where Nigel Tufnel was picking up the radio through his stacks still craxxxx me up today

...maybe 'cuz it's fiction inspired by a real problem?

Ever since I moved to Austin my Carvin 100-watt tube combo changed its sound. In ths apt. it's not as noticeable, but in the first apt. I lived here in Austin, it used to pick up CLEARLY the classical radio station. I'd fire it up and hear an oboe solo???!!! Funny.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

Originally posted by Caputo:

Although it was fiction, The scene where Nigel Tufnel was picking up the radio through his stacks still craxxxx me up today

...maybe 'cuz it's fiction inspired by a real problem?

Ever since I moved to Austin my Carvin 100-watt tube combo changed its sound. In ths apt. it's not as noticeable, but in the first apt. I lived here in Austin, it used to pick up CLEARLY the classical radio station. I'd fire it up and hear an oboe solo???!!! Funny.

Does your Carvin go to 11 and do you own guitars that nobody ..NOBODY has ever touched!!!! :D:D:D:thu:

Originally posted by Vince C.:

Hey, was that THE Japanese soldier who finally surrendered in the early 1970s and only after they got his commanding officer to tell him the war was over?

I've got his autobiography... it's amazing stuff!

No, this was only a few months ago - maybe June or July.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived