Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

An observation of stand up while you are playing

revorhythm

One thing that runs quite continuously through the thread is that most practice acoustic sitting down. This isn't unusual, I usually practice sittin down with my acoustic as well. Why do you think this is? Other than the obvious reasons i.e. its bulky so sititing is easier to rest your arm and such. I also think theres an underlying feel to sitting with an acoustic. It seems more personal, more emotional even. However, when it comes to gigging do you still sit or do you stand?
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by revorhythm:

One thing that runs quite continuously through the thread is that most practice acoustic sitting down. This isn't unusual, I usually practice sittin down with my acoustic as well. Why do you think this is? Other than the obvious reasons i.e. its bulky so sititing is easier to rest your arm and such. I also think theres an underlying feel to sitting with an acoustic. It seems more personal, more emotional even. However, when it comes to gigging do you still sit or do you stand?

I think it is all those things you named, but also...

The design of an acoustic, even if one is thin, leaves the strings and fretboard a lot further out than an electric. It feels unnatural to play a guitar that way. Sitting most sort of lean a little over the guitar, but standing that is near impossible.

I notice that (WITH exceptions...like Willy Nelson for one) a large percentage of folks that stand and play acoustic are often strumming, and not doing so much delicate fingerstyle, etc.

That is a generalization, and we can all name exceptions, but generally.

I find it feels really unnatural with a normal sized acoustic. I stand when playing electric though.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

I've found that standing lets me have a lot more freedom with positioning the guitar relative to the mic. Sitting lets the back resonate freely, adding to the tone, however. Standing, the back touches your body and is muted.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

When I was learning to play, I played better standing up. Whenever I play out, acoustic or electric, I stand up. But I no longer care how I practice. Standing or sitting, it just ain't that critical to me. I've had both kness operated on more than once, and I'm currently fighting tendonitis of the achilles tendon. So sitting feels real good. The tall bar stools feel good. standard height chairs feel good. The leather couch feels good. (zzzzzzz........) Huh! oh, sorry, dozed off there for a minute.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well, I agree with both ricochet and bpark. When I'm by myself, I don't really care what I do,...sit or stand,...nobody's watching. When ever at a band practice or a gig, I stand and all the while whether sitting or standing, I try not to look at the finger board which looks like I'm studying my shoes while standing or sleeping while sitting.

I don't recall ever standing up to play an acoustic on stage. I've done it a few times in sessions but that was only to lay down a strummed base track.

Standing up to play an acoustic just feels "wrong". I mean the guitar was shaped like that so it would fit over your leg as you're sitting, right?

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

...Standing up to play an acoustic just feels "wrong". I mean the guitar was shaped like that so it would fit over your leg as you're sitting, right?

God knows no one in rock and roll would want to break any rules or upset anyone.... :eek::D

I feel like this... if I'm too tired to stand, what can I expect from my audience?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

...Standing up to play an acoustic just feels "wrong". I mean the guitar was shaped like that so it would fit over your leg as you're sitting, right?

God knows no one in rock and roll would want to break any rules or upset anyone.... :eek::D

Bill

Good point. :D

Born on the Bayou

• 2 weeks later...
I normally play standing, but when sitting I hold it as one would a classical - lower bout between the thighs, with the strap always on. I'm not skinny enough to comfortably reach the neck if it's draped over my right leg, plus this allows me to hold it away from my body a bit to reduce muting.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived